Premed 101 Forums

Official Interview Invite Thread for 2008-2009

Classic

I received an email from SUNY upstate on August 13th saying that my application was complete.

After that, I didn't see any change on the status page until today.

The interview invite message is right on the page when you log into the secondary application website.

ahhh no luck for me. Oh well... maybe tmr.

btw congrats dawg.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Invalid.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether to take a night bus to Syracuse to arrive just in time for the interview or get there early and stay overnight.

Has anybody done that? Like take bus or train overnight and arrive in the morning?

It saves money too but another thing is that I'd hate to stay in a motel room by myself going through multiple anxiety attacks.

It's from Toronto.

So the bus leaves Toronto at 11pm and arrives in Syracuse at 6am.

I don't know...

Don't trust a bus to get there at that time. I took a Greyhound bus to NYC once from TO and we were stuck at the border for around 3hrs, and that was around midnight when we got to the border. We ended up being late by a few hours. Be careful too. The route from TO to NY is quite popular so if you are thinking of taking a bus, get there reallly really early to snag a seat.

Also from a hygenic standpoint, your interviewers may not want to smell overnight travel BO.

Thanks, Invalid.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether to take a night bus to Syracuse to arrive just in time for the interview or get there early and stay overnight.

Has anybody done that? Like take bus or train overnight and arrive in the morning?

It saves money too but another thing is that I'd hate to stay in a motel room by myself going through multiple anxiety attacks.

I had an 8 o clock interview and drove from Toronto at 4am or thereabouts to get there.

I wouldn't recommend it though...it was a bit rough interviewing while sleep deprived.

Okay, I've been lurking for a while now ... but I got the nasty BU email yesterday. They sent it out around 8pm last night ... not a good way to finish off a Wednesday during the "good week" !!

To all of you still in the BU running - GOOD LUCK - it's a great school.

We really need to compile a list of schools that really are canadian friendly. i know that BU and Brown are on the sticky, but we should let future canadians be aware of this.

Agreed, we should also list what we believe are 'key' things that help you receive an interview at each school. ie. I think I only got an interview at Tulane because I volunteered in New Orleans (beyond grades and GPA). And I believe my Georgetown interview is based upon my secondary essay on the religious and philosophical implications of sickness and death. While I got an interview at VCU because I talked extensively about Doctors without Borders. Because, in all honesty, my application is trumped by a lot of people here and sdn - if it was simply a stats/ec game, I would not have the interviews I have.

I really think US Adcoms are more likely to go out on a limb and offer an you an interview if there is something that grabs their attention (doesn't have to be academic), unlike Canada. The difficulty is figuring out what exactly they want. I'm trying to address this as I'm sending out my letters of interest to other schools.

Agreed, we should also list what we believe are 'key' things that help you receive an interview at each school. ie. I think I only got an interview at Tulane because I volunteered in New Orleans (beyond grades and GPA). And I believe my Georgetown interview is based upon my secondary essay on the religious and philosophical implications of sickness and death. While I got an interview at VCU because I talked extensively about Doctors without Borders. Because, in all honesty, my application is trumped by a lot of people here and sdn - if it was simply a stats/ec game, I would not have the interviews I have.

I really think US Adcoms are more likely to go out on a limb and offer an you an interview if there is something that grabs their attention (doesn't have to be academic), unlike Canada. The difficulty is figuring out what exactly they want. I'm trying to address this as I'm sending out my letters of interest to other schools.

you are my hero buddy. :D

THX, you're a beast.

Wait, are you sending LOIs already?

Yeah, but only for schools that I really like. I think it carries some weight if its done properly. Think about it, these dudes review a huge number of applications and at the back of their minds they know that each premed has applied to at least a dozen schools - they know that many won't attend even if they are offered a spot. If they happen to fall upon someone's application and included with it is a letter of interest clearly showing substantiated enthusiasm for their program...it just makes sense that their decision making process will automatically become a bit biased. Therefore, IMO, your chances of receiving an interview are increased. It won't negate any deficits in your application, but if you look pretty good on paper I think it would be very difficult for a kind person to pass up on someone who is displaying a love for their program - it's just human nature.

People often say to send LOIs after an interview. But who cares, I can write up another one if I ever find myself in that situation. I'd rather preempt a rejection than worry about what happens if I get an interview.

Archived