Premed 101 Forums

Interviews

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REJECTED

oh well. my sister had a 3.92, amazing mcat, 1 year volunteer in africa, 4 years volunteer at foothills, volleyball etc etc and a masters and it took her 3 years to even get an interview and then only got in becuase someone dropped off of the weightlist.

then i have some friends who got in with 3.1-3.3

it is all luck...

dont feel down about ucalgary... seriously make other plans .. sydney, the us, etc

REJECTED

oh well. my sister had a 3.92, amazing mcat, 1 year volunteer in africa, 4 years volunteer at foothills, volleyball etc etc and a masters and it took her 3 years to even get an interview and then only got in becuase someone dropped off of the weightlist.

then i have some friends who got in with 3.1-3.3

it is all luck...

dont feel down about ucalgary... seriously make other plans .. sydney, the us, etc

I got axed pre-interview from U of C last year, but I improved my app in many areas this year - overall GPA, best 2 years GPA, more recommended courses, more healthcare experience, added science research experience, AND more work experience. I think that's why I got an interview this time.

can someone please tell me how to book this thing??? my username and password are not working@!!!#@!@!

youve gotta use the username (your last name) and the password (a set of four numerals) that are in the invitation email. Make sure caps lock aint on!

Good luck

REJECTED

from my experience calgary is one of the more consistent schools in terms of judging your application holistically.

if your sister's academics were legitimately 'amazing,' it could be her extracurriculars that were lacking. what has she done beyond africa, foothills and volleyball? it takes a lot more than that in the ECs imo. the 'etc etc' doesn't say much.

I didnt get an interview last year. The only thing I did this year was continued with my ECs from last year and got myself into a grad program. Did that make a difference?

I was very close to the interview cut off last year though. So maybe I just got a tad bit luckier this year?

Does anybody know how much they increased thier interview numbers by and how many additional spots there are going to be this year.

I would like to know what our chances are now that we have an interview

They have increased the seats from 156 to about 185ish.

They are interviewing about an additional 100 students.

Can someone from the area suggest good hotels near the school? Thanks!

These are the closest ones to the School.

Closest-->Fartherst (All of these are pretty close to the school though)

Econo Lodge Motel Village

2440 16th Avenue NW -- Calgary, AB T2M 0M5

Best Western Village Park Inn

1804 Crowchild Traill Northwest -- Calgary, AB T2M 3Y7

Thriftlodge Calgary North

2304 16th Avenue Northwest -- Calgary, AB T2M 0M5

Travelodge Calgary University

2227 Banff Trail -- Calgary, AB T2M 4L2

Slightly Further

Quality Inn University

2359 Banff Trail NW -- Calgary, AB T2M 4L2

Comfort Inn and Suites University

2369 Banff Trail North West -- Calgary, AB T2M 4L2

I'd recommend taking a taxi from the hotel to the school. To ensure you get there on time. Or a med student, like myself, wouldn't mind driving some of you guys to the school. I know how stressful interviews can be and a little help can go a looooonggg way.

Good luck!

wao!!!!! ne ideas on what the cutoff would have been people..ofcourse we cant log in and see!

I have no clue on what the cut off was this year. It usually changes depending on the applicant pool. Last year the cut off scores for invitation to interview at the past MMI were: Alberta: 71.05 or greater Non-Albertan: 74.13 or greater, according to the UofC website. So it's probably around there somewhere i would assume

These are the closest ones to the School.

Good luck!

Thank you, you are very sweet :)

Well, I suppose it IS a bit of a distance.

Well, thats not exactly what I was referring to. When I typed it into google, the first review I got back was "if you like the smell of piss and stale beer..."

then I stopped reading. Are you trying to sabotage me Jochi? :P

Archived