Premed 101 Forums

anyone didn't get summer research funding?

iwh333

You think thats bad! I pay out of pocket to travel&live in Baltimore in the summers while my supervisor gets a nice grant from NIH, which he hasn't bothered extending to me. Sad thing is I do 90% of the work, he just checks it over, LOL. But I'm an undergrad so I can't publish anything without his name on it.

To be fair I never asked him for a stipend, cause I didn`t know he was even getting funded until today! We bum the data we need for our research off another prof in exchange for using our analysis technique for his project.

You think thats bad! I pay out of pocket to travel&live in Baltimore in the summers while my supervisor gets a nice grant from NIH, which he hasn't bothered extending to me. Sad thing is I do 90% of the work, he just checks it over, LOL. But I'm an undergrad so I can't publish anything without his name on it.

To be fair I never asked him for a stipend, cause I didn`t know he was even getting funded until today! We bum the data we need for our research off another prof in exchange for using our analysis technique for his project.

So your research involves bumming data off other researchers???

..what kind of research is this exactly?

Well this isn't my supervisor's main project. Its a little side project actually created for me. He has his own big projects to make money on. He barely works on this, only I do. So I didn't think he actually got a grant and everything for it.

Yes my research involves bumming data off another project. I mean why raise extra mice, inoculate them with cancer, treat them with chemo. drugs, and then send them through the MRI (it costs $500/day to rent the machine) when there is already someone that did all that? All I need is the raw images to develop my computational analysis on. I'm actually presenting on this at a conference tomorrow (I'm 6 hrs behind Eastern time cause I'm in Hawaii for this conference).

No chance the prof will pay you out of pocket?

ah, i still have to talk to him about that... i just got the regrets email today... will talk to him tomorrow about it

kinda disappointing tho... would it be wise to do it for free? to get some experience? and get a PT job on the side?

what do you guys think?

deeman, at least you're working on a project! i want to get some exp..

notice how i said AT and not MY haha.

oh yea? okay well i'm going to see if my PI will offer me the same luck...!!

It never hurts to ask. Just say something like "darn, no funding. Too bad because I really like working in the lab and would love to stay here in the summer..." He/she should get the point. If that doesn't work than I would just say "Look homie I need some money so either I'm gonna go wait tables or hammer wood together or your gonna pay me."

Ya don't worry about it. In 2nd year I was trying so hard to land a research position for the summer, especially for NSERC, but I miserably failed :(. So just when I thought I had no hope of getting into research I caught a lucky break and got involved with the research I'm in right now. I can tell you that no NSERC, work at SickKids, etc. can compare with the success and opportunities I gained from this project. So if it seems like you're having no success, don't sweat it. Something better may come your way instead!

depending on the lab, its economically feasible to hire you on. Consider this: lots of labs hire techs to do work for them, and they get paid a salary. Depending on how hard they work you, you can more than likely get the same amount of work done in a week as a tech, but for only a few G's for the summer. So it makes sense from a money spending perspective to hire summer students to work for cheap

I'm actually presenting on this at a conference tomorrow (I'm 6 hrs behind Eastern time cause I'm in Hawaii for this conference).

Deeman.....are you at ISMRM???? I was supposed to go, but had exams. How cool am I, missing a free trip to Hawaii to write final exams.

Deeman.....are you at ISMRM???? I was supposed to go, but had exams. How cool am I, missing a free trip to Hawaii to write final exams.

Yes I'm at ISMRM. Its sooo cool here :D. And you missed cause of exams?? WTF??? I moved 2 exams out of the way to come to this conference. LOL. Registrar and my profs were very accommodating to help me not miss this.

So your research involves bumming data off other researchers???

..what kind of research is this exactly?

I don't think it's that unusual. My undergrad project involved sending our data (i.e. our cells) to another prof in a different province for analysis with the instruments we didn't have. Both profs then were able to use that data.

ah, i still have to talk to him about that... i just got the regrets email today... will talk to him tomorrow about it

kinda disappointing tho... would it be wise to do it for free? to get some experience? and get a PT job on the side?

what do you guys think?

If you can do it PT, get a job on the side, and still afford to pay your expenses (altho maybe not live in the lap of luxury), I would do it. If you're gonna drive yourself into 3 grand worth of debt for it? I wouldn't.

Archived