Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Oh damn that sucks. :( Sending you good vibes to get it corrected! lol.

You're screwed. OSAP is one the most disorganized bureaucracies. Look up the national studen loans centre and see if there is a way to amend the address field more easily.

You were accepted at McGill as an OOP, you have OHIP, an ON Dirver's Licence, phone bill, etc (if not lease), bank accounts, etc in ON, you have no residence in Quebec, even your recent speeding ticket shows an ON address, shouldn't this be sufficient dee?

Law is right. I'm probably SOL. Apparently I have to submit a letter to...someone in the head office. And this letter has to state specific dates including when I arrived in Canada, where all I have resided, when I started in the educational system, elementary school transcripts, high school transcripts, university transcripts, etc. This will probably be a lost cause. :(

EDIT: Effing hell! The person helping me with this from mcgill (yes they have osap advisors) just went out of the office until the 25th. ARRRRRGGHHHHHEHDKGHHEIGHGHHHH!!!!

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got rejected by nearly every province I've ever lived in for student loans, all claiming I wasn't as resident of that province (I have a complicated situation). Thanks Canada. One province even told me the previous student loan they gave me was a mistake!!!

One month and hours of phone calls later, NB caved and let me apply. I still haven't gotten my assessment though...student loans are so frustrating!!

Last night I answered my first solo call at the Crisis Centre I'm volunteering at.

It was so exciting! I got told immediately after that most calls don't go that well, but it still put me in a great mood for the rest of the night.

Well done! You are starting out on a high note. Don't let it get you down when it does not go as well.

Law is right. I'm probably SOL. Apparently I have to submit a letter to...someone in the head office. And this letter has to state specific dates including when I arrived in Canada, where all I have resided, when I started in the educational system, elementary school transcripts, high school transcripts, university transcripts, etc. This will probably be a lost cause. :(

EDIT: Effing hell! The person helping me with this from mcgill (yes they have osap advisors) just went out of the office until the 25th. ARRRRRGGHHHHHEHDKGHHEIGHGHHHH!!!!

Dee call: 1 888 815-4514

National student loans centre.... tell them what happened and how you're worried it'll affect your loan eligibility and maybe they can help find a sol'n.

I now know why my babies reacted so much worse to the MMR than any other immunization. Dang, that one hurts. And your arm just gets worse and worse for two days, until it finally starts to subside. I got my immunization on Wednesday and my arm still hurts, especially if you touch it. I hope I never have to get that one again.

the male nurse told me that MMR has live virus in it so it burns like hell during the injection. However it didnt feel a thing right after the shot. (I was told I can still work out after the shot, maybe my 3 hours of tennis helped ease the pain, or more like diverting the pain to other parts of my body lol)

I now know why my babies reacted so much worse to the MMR than any other immunization. Dang, that one hurts. And your arm just gets worse and worse for two days, until it finally starts to subside. I got my immunization on Wednesday and my arm still hurts, especially if you touch it. I hope I never have to get that one again.

the male nurse told me that MMR has live virus in it so it burns like hell during the injection. However it didnt feel a thing right after the shot. (I was told I can still work out after the shot, maybe my 3 hours of tennis helped ease the pain, or more like diverting the pain to other parts of my body lol)

i need to get like 8 shots or something, including that one. needless to say, i'm NOT looking forward to monday now :eek:

Worry not. Call them as Law said. I got OSAP one MONTH after I arrived in this country so you shouldn't have a prob though how did u fill it out wrong?

I usually deal with all OSAP issues through the uni registrar, not OSAP itself so dunno how it will go this way. But you really shouldn't have a problem (as fd said, license, Citizenship, PR card, OHIP etc etc. And presumably you have proof of residence)

Worry not. Call them as Law said. I got OSAP one MONTH after I arrived in this country so you shouldn't have a prob though how did u fill it out wrong?

I usually deal with all OSAP issues through the uni registrar, not OSAP itself so dunno how it will go this way. But you really shouldn't have a problem (as fd said, license, Citizenship, PR card, OHIP etc etc. And presumably you have proof of residence)

Leon - filling out the app wrong is a HUGE mistake and because OSAP is not an actual organization, there is nobody to really talk to. Your only link to OSAP is your financial aid office. Now because there is no "OSAP" office, that means all changes are done through forms that have to be mailed in and take forever to do.

Anyway, I am just suggesting he call because he really has no other options and maybe, miraculously, they can help him out. Otherwise, he'll have to deal with the financial aid office, which will probably take their sweet ass time dealing with it. I filled something out when I did my sister's app and it took WEEKS to change and she missed the Millenium bursary because of it. (:o )

Leon - filling out the app wrong is a HUGE mistake and because OSAP is not an actual organization, there is nobody to really talk to. Your only link to OSAP is your financial aid office. Now because there is no "OSAP" office, that means all changes are done through forms that have to be mailed in and take forever to do.

Anyway, I am just suggesting he call because he really has no other options and maybe, miraculously, they can help him out. Otherwise, he'll have to deal with the financial aid office, which will probably take their sweet ass time dealing with it. I filled something out when I did my sister's app and it took WEEKS to change and she missed the Millenium bursary because of it. (:o )

My parent's accountant checked off "divorce" one year when filing their income tax--they spent two years trying to prove it was a mistake and boy did they have to suffer for that. The dude was fired.

And it works quite differently in the reversal...I got married a couple months before I had to start repaying my loan and the cheques we sent had our married names on them, etc. and so I sent my marriage certificate, but for some reason they didn't want the money from my married name and said they needed a cheque with my maiden name. I told them "If you want your money, then you take it from that account. You won't get it from anywhere else." They took it from that account. Odd though...you would think they didn't give a **** who pays for it!

:eek: No actual organization? No wonder we all deal through our registrar......

Ah well, I guess Dee's screwed then. I can't imagine getting anything done if there are no proper people employed in an office to do it.

And govt form work is messsed up in this country. I have so far received 3 tax return cheques, each with a different spelling error in my name, despite me requesting a fix each time. :(

I better not make mistakes on my OSAP this yr then. Is there any reason why teh OSAP system is set up this way? Efficiency?

Apparently, I always try to trick people:

Friend: Are you goind to go see Matthew Good at Bluesfest?

Me: Yeah. I saw him on thursday.

Friend: Next thursday?

Me: No. 2 days ago thursday.

Friend: Why do you always try to trick me. It's next thursday. I'm hanging up now (we're on the phone).

Me: Ok. Too bad it ends this sunday. You'll be at LeBreton (the venue) all be yourself.

Friend: Yup. Me and Matthew.

And this friend is the type of person who'll actually go next thursday even though everyone will tell her that Bluesfest is over. *sigh*

Awesome! LostLister can come too....

Only one rule...never, ever, ever tell my husband about shoe shopping until I've already worn them outside. Shhhhhhh! ;)

Ok, you and me and LL can all go shopping together and I promise I won't tell on you till it's too late :P

My Vanna's Choice prize cheque came this week, so I have $1000 to spend on myself. I could put it in the bank, like a sensible person, but I don't wanna, lol. And I really do need some good shoes and more formal clothes for school in the fall anyway.

Ok, you and me and LL can all go shopping together and I promise I won't tell on you till it's too late :P

My Vanna's Choice prize cheque came this week, so I have $1000 to spend on myself. I could put it in the bank, like a sensible person, but I don't wanna, lol. And I really do need some good shoes and more formal clothes for school in the fall anyway.

It's a good excuse. Right now, I have to buy "back to school stuff" for Rebekah...Andrew is fuming. LOL.

Indeed. That is what I am telling myself as I buy go shopping. But do your homework before you go shopping! :)

Archived