Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

To me, they are much much better than the movies, especially 4-7 as the books are huge compared to the first 3. Movies are entertaining, but in the latest 2 they've changed so many things from the books it's almost a different experience. And I love JK Rowling's writing style too. It really depends on who you talk to I guess... I prefer the Narnia books to the movies, the Dune books to the movies and so on.

Same. The movies just don't capture the essence of the books. And I don't think it's truly 100% possible.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Attempting to read all the Harry Potter books before Saturday (going to the new/last movie... A friend has already bought the tickets!). Started reading the first at around 11 last night. Starting the third one now. Have a pretty good pace going, but the 4th-7th books are a lot longer :S. I still think I can do it though. 5 hours... 2 books- not a bad pace so far. Mind you, it helps (I suppose) that every time I leave my room I get yelled at for something or other. At least this keeps me occupied. And not at all bored:D
I was thinking about reading them all again, but I settled with re-reading book 7. I have 2 other books that I'm currently reading as well.

And LOLLLLLLL at the new spam. Here it is, in case the mods delete it :
I saw all the threads that had been deleted in the Lounge. They were good for a few lols.

I re-read the 7th book recently and MAN what a different experience than it was 4 years ago when I first read it! I think I might want to re-read them all now, because there's a different kind of way you interpret things as a (young) adult versus being a pre-teen or teenager. and I was definitely way too invested in the books at times to appreciate when things didn't work out quite the way I wanted them to :P

I re-read the 7th book recently and MAN what a different experience than it was 4 years ago when I first read it! I think I might want to re-read them all now, because there's a different kind of way you interpret things as a (young) adult versus being a pre-teen or teenager. and I was definitely way too invested in the books at times to appreciate when things didn't work out quite the way I wanted them to :P

I always find when I re-read the HP books (or any other of my childhood books) I have that same sort of feeling :)

I never read harry potter.. I think i read the first book and half the second, then i got bored of it and starting reading some other books.

Reading a book in your childhood is alot different then when you are a young adult.. For instence, when I read the Sunwing, Silverwing, Firewing.. ect series by Kennith Oppal as a child, I focus mainly on the action and very superficial things, but as a young adult I find I focus more on the love interest/ social dynamics aspect of the book... there are alot of things that you miss the first time around I think it is because we mature and can appreciate the depth of the novel more than when we are children

^ Mithril, you're pretty talented with art. How much time do you spend on that each day?
Like 2-3 hours each day. I try to finish at least one body part each time but I underestimated the amount of detail transformers have lol. Still, sometimes I'd rather sit at home and draw than go out.

About halfway through book 4. I'd probably be further along, but I spent most of the night talking to my mom and then searching for apartments online. It's amazing the difference in quality an extra $25 is:rolleyes:

On a side note: holy spam batman! I haven't seen the spam this bad in months! Where are the mods? Fire them all I say! ;) (hehehehe- just kidding of course!). Seriously though, where did it all come from?:confused:

About halfway through book 4. I'd probably be further along, but I spent most of the night talking to my mom and then searching for apartments online. It's amazing the difference in quality an extra $25 is:rolleyes:

On a side note: holy spam batman! I haven't seen the spam this bad in months! Where are the mods? Fire them all I say! ;) (hehehehe- just kidding of course!). Seriously though, where did it all come from?:confused:

heeeyyyy - we are working on it :)

So it is still "watch and wait" on my cat with the lump on his leg that might be a fibrosarcoma. :( It's not going away, but it's not getting any larger either, so the vet just wants to keep an eye on it.

Which is actually harder on me - if they just took the darn thing out like the vet had originally said she would do, then I wouldn't be waiting in agony. :(

I trust my vet (she specializes in cats only) but if the lump still isn't gone (or at least smaller) after another week, I think I will try to make an appointment for him at the veterinary college nearby. A second opinion never hurts, after all.

In other news, I'm teaching a step class tonight. :) Hopefully I will be able to keep teaching one or two classes a week during medical school - at least pre-clerkship. I really enjoy it, and it keeps me doing something, at the very least, to stay fit, even if when I teach I don't get as an intense workout as when I workout on my own, since I'm focused on my participants, and making sure they get the most out of the class.

So it is still "watch and wait" on my cat with the lump on his leg that might be a fibrosarcoma. :( It's not going away, but it's not getting any larger either, so the vet just wants to keep an eye on it.

Which is actually harder on me - if they just took the darn thing out like the vet had originally said she would do, then I wouldn't be waiting in agony. :(

Not to worry you, but what are they thinking? They should really take it out before it progresses.

I trust my vet (she specializes in cats only) but if the lump still isn't gone (or at least smaller) after another week, I think I will try to make an appointment for him at the veterinary college nearby. A second opinion never hurts, after all.

Yes, you're completely right in saying this. These things can get out of control very fast. I'm really suspicious to know why the vet won't take out the lump. That's bizarre, did she provide any rationale?

In other news, I'm teaching a step class tonight. :) Hopefully I will be able to keep teaching one or two classes a week during medical school - at least pre-clerkship. I really enjoy it, and it keeps me doing something, at the very least, to stay fit, even if when I teach I don't get as an intense workout as when I workout on my own, since I'm focused on my participants, and making sure they get the most out of the class.

That sounds great :) I've taught dance in the past and it's a great way to stay active.

Yes, you're completely right in saying this. These things can get out of control very fast. I'm really suspicious to know why the vet won't take out the lump. That's bizarre, did she provide any rationale?

She said that, since it is only 1cm in size (fibrosarcomas are typically 2 cm or larger) and that since it is not getting bigger, it is likely just a granuloma, and those can last for up to 3 months post-vaccination.

So the logical part of my brain understands that it is likely just a granuloma and it will eventually resolve itself, but the worried part of my brain just wants a biopsy done now!

I'm leaning more and more towards calling the veterinary college right now. Their clinic that is open to the public actually has senior veterinary students, in their last year of study, as the clinicians, but they are supervised by one of the veterinary instructors at the college, who is a fully qualified vet. (The rest of the college is accessible via referral).

Actually, I think I just talked myself into calling. Money is not an issue, and the peace of mind is more than worth it.

She said that, since it is only 1cm in size (fibrosarcomas are typically 2 cm or larger) and that since it is not getting bigger, it is likely just a granuloma, and those can last for up to 3 months post-vaccination.

So the logical part of my brain understands that it is likely just a granuloma and it will eventually resolve itself, but the worried part of my brain just wants a biopsy done now!

I'm leaning more and more towards calling the veterinary college right now. Their clinic that is open to the public actually has senior veterinary students, in their last year of study, as the clinicians, but they are supervised by one of the veterinary instructors at the college, who is a fully qualified vet. (The rest of the college is accessible via referral).

Actually, I think I just talked myself into calling. Money is not an issue, and the peace of mind is more than worth it.

Glad to hear that. Let me know what the vet says. A second opinion is always best.

So the day I got into UBC Med I ended up at the bar plastered and went to a random table of girls, sat down, and said I needed new friends. I don't really remember any of this, but I was informed later. Anyways, the girls liked it and I ended up hanging out with them until at 6am.

A couple of them tracked me down on facebook and I had no clue who they were (somewhat embarrassing), but I'd been texting with one and just went to meet one of them for coffee last night (really, kind of a first meeting for me) last night which somehow turned into a really fun date.

I guess the moral of the story is....maybe I should put this in the alcohol thread?

Never expected to hear Eminem, Limp Bizkit, and Tom Petty at a Three Days Grace concert. Random, but pretty good.

interesting...i didnt know about three days grace...on my flight to toronto, some members were seated next to me and playing their own video on the laptop lol...

Archived