Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news about my cat. :) His biopsy came back negative for cancer. :) He does have a lot of inflammation and white blood cells, but pretty much what you would expect from a vaccination reaction. The vet did say his immune system seemed to be hyperactive, so he may be susceptible to allergies or autoimmune disease later in life, but as he's still young (he'll be 5 in September), that he should be fine.

Of course, if the lump doesn't go away after another month, they'll surgically remove it and biopsy the lump completely, as opposed to the fine needle aspiration they did. But she also said that, for a lot of cats, when they have vaccination reactions, the lump can stick around for weeks, and then all of a sudden just disappear.

So good news. :) The lump still hasn't changed - it's neither larger nor smaller - but I feel so much better having had the fine needle aspiration done.

A race that I SO wish I was doing started today. Many of my friends are out there right now. Fortunately, every team has a GPS tracker so I can live vicariously on the live race map- it shows where every team is!

I'm feeling a little jealous. I had even volunteered to be there and help out as a wilderness medic but I am staying home to be with our dog in what will probably be her last week. What can I say. :)

Raid the North Extreme

6 days, 500 km in EasternBC wilderness.

http://raidthenorth.com/RTNx/2011/race.php

FYI- Adventure racing is a sport that seems to attract physicians in large numbers. I'm not sure if it's that it's expensive (this race is more than $1000/person), or that it's a huge challenge, or that it's a unique combination of teamwork, sleep deprivation, physical exertion, and mental capacity. In any case, out of the 120 competitiors there are at least 10 I know are physicians/surgeons- and those are just the ones I know! :)

Edit- good to hear about your cat, MRunner! Phew!

Good news about my cat. :) His biopsy came back negative for cancer. :) He does have a lot of inflammation and white blood cells, but pretty much what you would expect from a vaccination reaction. The vet did say his immune system seemed to be hyperactive, so he may be susceptible to allergies or autoimmune disease later in life, but as he's still young (he'll be 5 in September), that he should be fine.

Of course, if the lump doesn't go away after another month, they'll surgically remove it and biopsy the lump completely, as opposed to the fine needle aspiration they did. But she also said that, for a lot of cats, when they have vaccination reactions, the lump can stick around for weeks, and then all of a sudden just disappear.

So good news. :) The lump still hasn't changed - it's neither larger nor smaller - but I feel so much better having had the fine needle aspiration done.

hey that is good news!

Going to (hopefully!) fine a place this weekend! I am SO psyched! I've found some good (I hope!) potential places! I'm sooooooo excited to move out! :D

I've got 3 boxes packed so far and I'm hoping that I can get another 2 or so done tomorrow. It's very tedious (especially packing breakable stuff so it doesn't break on the plane!) but I need to do it so I can figure out which boxes I'm taking this weekend!

MR: I'm glad your cat is going to be ok!

Kyla: When are you officially up and carrying out PPB? And that race looks pretty sweet!

Leap: Welcome back! Where have you been?!

moving to vancouver this weekend

this week is uber stressful with packing, working full time, school prep/planning for wife and I, and planning a fundraiser show for the move (where I'm suppose to play in two bands, one of which is a band that I haven't played in for 3 years and won't get to practice with before the show!!)

wish me luck!!!

Archived