Premed 101 Forums

Whey protein supplements. Really works or placebo?

deeman101

I was huge into bodybuilding too, and I thought that thinking taking protein during/immediately after a workout was the misinformation!:)

It takes like 5 days to completely heal your muscles, does consuming whey immediately after a workout really equate to any more muscle gain?

Also, people workout for like an hour, and fairly early on are entirely done one muscle group. Does this mean if I worked legs and back, and finished my legs half an hour ago, that my taking whey at the end will not have the same effect?:P

There is no magic time for how long it takes to heal your muscles....sooo many variables to consider. However, yes, adequate protein can improve muscle mass gain when given at the appropriate time (take note that I said ADEQUATE not EXCESSIVE, haha).

And technically yes...ideally you would start drinking your protein shake like 15-30 mins into your workout and finish it at the end. However, this isn't going to make much of a difference since as long as you are still working out, your glucagon and insulin levels will still be elevated globally.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived