Premed 101 Forums

Whey protein supplements. Really works or placebo?

deeman101

5x5 is my favorite, I built myself up on that and I never really got off of it since it worked, and continues to work so well. Develop your form first before delving into 5 rep range on deads and squats though...it'll get quite...heavy and you would least want to do these with bad form.

Deadlifts are hard to learn, I'm informally teaching some people to do it and I find this is the hardest thing to teach because their backs can't be kept straight or the plate diameter is so small (they're starting less than 135) that its really hard to keep them from arching their back.

I would place pull ups before pulldowns since pull ups are more significant. What you were doing with the pull ups there are called negatives. You can do them with anylift except deadlifts or powerlifting/olympic moves. Eccentric contractions/negatives are believed to cause more microfiber tears. That means more healing to do.

Good job though. Consistency is key. When you do heavy compounds, you'll realize that you don't have to spend as much gym time or frequency to actually get huge. 4 times a week is plenty. I've known people to only go twice a week with great results (heavy days though) but 3-4 times is probably best to make sure you're constantly healing/building up.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5x5 is my favorite, I built myself up on that and I never really got off of it since it worked, and continues to work so well. Develop your form first before delving into 5 rep range on deads and squats though...it'll get quite...heavy and you would least want to do these with bad form.

Deadlifts are hard to learn, I'm informally teaching some people to do it and I find this is the hardest thing to teach because their backs can't be kept straight or the plate diameter is so small (they're starting less than 135) that its really hard to keep them from arching their back.

I would place pull ups before pulldowns since pull ups are more significant. What you were doing with the pull ups there are called negatives. You can do them with anylift except deadlifts or powerlifting/olympic moves. Eccentric contractions/negatives are believed to cause more microfiber tears. That means more healing to do.

Good job though. Consistency is key. When you do heavy compounds, you'll realize that you don't have to spend as much gym time or frequency to actually get huge. 4 times a week is plenty. I've known people to only go twice a week with great results (heavy days though) but 3-4 times is probably best to make sure you're constantly healing/building up.

Thanks! That's what I was struggling with on deadlifts. I kept arching my back. I'm going to try again soon. I'm doing low weight right now so I don't hurt myself. I have to just stay focused on the motion and keep my back straight! Easier said than done. haha. I think it partly had to do with the fact my hamstrings were still pretty sore and tense from doing squats when I was doing them, so that probably prevented some of the motion I would normally have. Anybody know any really good video demos for deadlifts?

Gym partners are critical. I made my best progress when I had them around - to get your ass in the gym, and to make sure you're lifting safely (spots). It's a good pass time, requires discipline, goal setting, and goal achieving. It's healthy and you've got the benefit of a *****in' muscular body LOL. Caffeine always makes better workouts though if you're tired, or pre-cardio.

Gym partners are critical. I made my best progress when I had them around - to get your ass in the gym, and to make sure you're lifting safely (spots). It's a good pass time, requires discipline, goal setting, and goal achieving. It's healthy and you've got the benefit of a *****in' muscular body LOL. Caffeine always makes better workouts though if you're tired, or pre-cardio.

True say! And they can give you that little extra push during your toughest sets. ;):D

So I was feeling pain for the last month during some of my workouts. Finally made time to visit a doctor, fortunately, he was well-versed with exercise matters... anyway, turns out I have "rotator cuff tendonitis" which he called "healthy pain" because "lazy people don't get this" hahah. Anyway. I have to layoff of some of the exercises I do for a bit and he gave me anti-inflammatory drugs to help with it. I'm just glad it wasn't a muscle tear or something like that. Tendonitis is a ***** though. grr.

Muhahaha! Now I shall beat you law! :D

Tendonitis suuuckkkssss. I had it in my patellar tendon and the one for my tricep (forgot techinical term). It really sucks a lot. And it probably sucks a lot for the rotator cuff too.

I have no pains (other than soreness) to report after my clean & jerks and bench press on thursday. Time to get busy! :)

When I had my patellar tendonitis I was being extremely stupid with it. I thought it was just regular gym pains and kept pushing it too hard. When I couldn't walk up stairs, or slight inclines, I knew there was a problem. LOL. With my tendonitis in my elbow I immediately gave it a 1 month rest. Its doing fine so far although I feel it from time to time.

Actually I had mad problems with my shoulders a few months ago. My doctor was like "it could be tendonitis...." I was like NOOOOOOOoooOOOOOooOO!

But I kept doing shoulder flexibility exercises the past few weeks and so far so good. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Tendonitis is almost gone. I've laid off the pec flys and shoulder exercises for about 2 weeks now. Will wait a few more days and then can go back to normal!

Finally got deadlift form down last workout. I'm definitely feeling it today haha.

Octavius - Thanks for the LAT pulldown ---> Pull Ups suggestion. Worked out with my buddy and we both felt it hardcore. Did 5 really solid sets of pull ups (w/negatives before we died).

Interesting article, for people looking to tweak their workouts. Don't agree with everything, but definitely some useful stuff:

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/get_more_muscle/index.php?cm_mmc=ABSNL-_-2010_01_15-_-HTML-_-dek

Watch out law. tendinitis doesn't go away THAT easily. Its much easier to still get it back right now. In fact, you're gonna live your whole life in fear of bringing it back. :P

Lol. I've had it before, and it does always come back. Thankfully my Achilles tendinitis only recurred once... we SHALL SEE. Hence the takin' it easy approach for now. :P

I figured out my freakin' squatting form is wrong (only after some intense knee pains, lol). Now I have to retrain my form AGAIN! I spend more time retraining my form on different lifts than I do progressing up in weights.... :rolleyes:

It's okay buddy. It's good that you're identifying mistakes and fixing them. You'll get stronger in no time.

It's okay buddy. It's good that you're identifying mistakes and fixing them. You'll get stronger in no time.

Yea. Just sets me a week or so behind. I'll share what I've learned with you: if you're squatting with a wide stance, angle yo' toes OUT or the side-loads on your knees will make it difficult to walk the next day. ;)

Archived