Premed 101 Forums

Whey protein supplements. Really works or placebo?

deeman101

Wow. I've cut out all isolation exercises and concentrated solely on compound exercises and plyometrics the past few weeks. Compared to before, the mass and stength gain has been phenomonal (even when I decide to do isolation exercises). I was barely getting anywhere before (except in terms of tone); now, I've managed to add four chins and four dips within two and a half weeks. Today, I shaved an entire three minutes off my HIIT workout. If I can get another three minutes off of it, I'll start increasing the distance or adding more sets. Changed my diet, too (lots more carbs, probably what helped with the HIIT the most).

So pumped, I was getting a little discouraged for a while there.

EDIT: Sorry, just caught up on this thread. I know where you're coming from Law. There was a period in high school where I was continually injured. It happened because of three reasons I think:

1) I would take a break for a week or two and hurt myself on the first day back. Makes sense. Would start out too hardcore, muscles would be strong enough but not stretched enough (which would fool me, the only thing I felt before I'd hurt myself is slight tightness, no physical fatigue).

2) Bad form. This is a really big one. Look for it. Even with the jacked guys, it seems to be rampant in the gym. Why woild I have it when I'm careful? Maybe because I taught myself, maybe I learned wrong, maybe I thought I was doing it right but wasn't; who knows?When I start a new exercise, I generally ask someone experienced to watch me and give feedback for the first few days.

3) Chose exercises I wasn't ready for. Squats, clean and jerk, dead lift, etc... Need great form for those, good muscle support, and to be physically mature. I'm still 18, so I'm holding off on most of them until I get older (don't want to screw up my back for life).

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

HiDeeman,

Yes whey protein supplements works and like to add whey protein is great to lose and mainatain body weight. Whey protein helps in reducing elevated blood pressure, improves mood in stressful situations and sooth stress. Whey protein improves memory also.

Whey protein, is protein. It's not a supplement it's the same thing as eating a steak basically. I believe it's condenses cheese curd or something.

It breaks down in the body differently. There are different types of protein, whey is generally a pre/post work out thing while casein is slower burning and generally a before bed thing.

It breaks down in the body differently. There are different types of protein, whey is generally a pre/post work out thing while casein is slower burning and generally a before bed thing.

But it's still a complete protein which will be broken down into amino acids that the body can use.

This guy was basically asking if it was a sham lol.

I did my undergrad and MSc in nutrition and several students in my lab studied milk proteins. It is true that whey is absorbed faster than casein and thus is a great during/after workout supplement. However, anything over 30 g is overkill as this does not lead to any higher muscle synthesis.

Also, the brand does not matter at all, assuming the % whey is the same (fewer fillers = good).

Also, try to consume it with a little bit of carbs as this will aid recovery.

In general, people worry way too much about protein intake and the fact is, for the average north American non-vegetarian, their current protein intake usually exceeds the amount required to fuel optimal muscle deposition.

I did my undergrad and MSc in nutrition and several students in my lab studied milk proteins. It is true that whey is absorbed faster than casein and thus is a great during/after workout supplement. However, anything over 30 g is overkill as this does not lead to any higher muscle synthesis.

Also, the brand does not matter at all, assuming the % whey is the same (fewer fillers = good).

In general, people worry way too much about protein intake and the fact is, for the average north American non-vegetarian, their current protein intake usually exceeds the amount required to fuel optimal muscle deposition.

Thing with this though is in X amount of hours you can take in another 30.

Yes, you can, but it will do about 10% as good as the after workout 30 g. The key is spreading out your protein intake. I.e. 30 g at each meal, plus some for snacks.

Oh yeah for sure, but like you said, many people don't do that.

Thing is when I use it, i mainly use it as a weight gainer compared to protein.

Oh yeah for sure, but like you said, many people don't do that.

Thing is when I use it, i mainly use it as a weight gainer compared to protein.

You mean just for calories? Just eat foods...want more calories? Eat a banana with a ton of natural PB on it as a snack. Eat more potatoes, oatmeal, etc. It's easy to gain weight and be healthy with whole foods.

You mean just for calories? Just eat foods...want more calories? Eat a banana with a ton of natural PB on it as a snack. Eat more potatoes, oatmeal, etc. It's easy to gain weight and be healthy with whole foods.

Hah, if only you knew, I have a ridiculously high metabolism. It's much easier to chug a shake with 1,000 calories then pack all that food. That doesn't mean I don't eat, it means it's a bonus X calories.

Hah, if only you knew, I have a ridiculously high metabolism. It's much easier to chug a shake with 1,000 calories then pack all that food. That doesn't mean I don't eat, it means it's a bonus X calories.

As do I...as do I. I eat constantly and I love it. I probably eat 6-7 times a day.

But your body doesn't even begin to repair the muscles until way later, it takes days and most of it is done in your sleep. What the hell do the 30 minutes directly after a workout matter? You need carbs directly after to replace glycogen but not an instant injection of protein.

But your body doesn't even begin to repair the muscles until way later, it takes days and most of it is done in your sleep. What the hell do the 30 minutes directly after a workout matter? You need carbs directly after to replace glycogen but not an instant injection of protein.

Your muscles absorb it way more within those 2 minutes, while yes it takes time to repair after you've just worked that muscle group if say you take protein it's going right to your muscles without delay basically.

That is not true. While working out, your glucagon levels increase which increases turnover of amino acids which are broken down in the liver for gluconeogenesis. Peaking plasma amino acids directly after a workout while glucagon (and, counterintuitively, insulin) are raised, allows for optimal uptake of amino acids into muscle tissue and minimizes catabolism of soma proteins to equilibriate plasma amino acid levels.

EDIT: I used to be into bodybuilding a LOT and I can tell you there is a LOT of misinformation. Most of it is harmless, but at the same time, useless.

I was huge into bodybuilding too, and I thought that thinking taking protein during/immediately after a workout was the misinformation!:)

Haha, yeah, this is the problem - everybody thinks they are an expert and it's so hard to tease apart the good from the bad. This is one of the main reasons I entered nutrition - I wanted to find out the truth for myself!

I was huge into bodybuilding too, and I thought that thinking taking protein during/immediately after a workout was the misinformation!:)

It takes like 5 days to completely heal your muscles, does consuming whey immediately after a workout really equate to any more muscle gain?

Also, people workout for like an hour, and fairly early on are entirely done one muscle group. Does this mean if I worked legs and back, and finished my legs half an hour ago, that my taking whey at the end will not have the same effect?:P

Archived