Premed 101 Forums

Whey protein supplements. Really works or placebo?

deeman101

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did you go all the way down on squats?

Yes sir. My gym buddy was making sure that I went all the way down (while doing my best to not lean forward!). I did screw up on a few reps where I didn't go down low enough, but he just told me and I adjusted. I found it really hard, AND I LOVED IT!! My legs are so sore, I'm totally 'prison shower' walking today. Haha.

When I'm cutting - hardcore strict diet, that cuts out fat. Watch the carbs on days I'm not working out. High protein always.

During bulking - initially, when I had time, I was doing a super clean bulk - low fat, high protein, not too strict with carbs. Lately, I have NO TIME to cook or prepare my foods, so I'm not doing a super clean bulk (although, not letting myself go completely). Strive for AT LEAST 150g of protein a day, minimum.

yes drink milk! I love milk.

bulking and cutting ? hmmm... i would do some more research because "bulking and cutting" is an extremely inefficient approach. lift hard/heavy multiple times a week and try to keep your rest interval as short as possible(but still recover from your set). have a good diet (lean proteins, lots of veggies, nuts, olive oil, etc). and maybe run some sprints/interval training and there is no reason why you shouldnt get leaner while getting a lot stronger. also i dont think "bulking" means eating unhealthy foods but rather having a calorie excess(but those extra calories dont necessarily come from unhealthy foods).

That's precisely what I meant. If I'm trying to lower body fat, I remove that calorie excess, increase the amount of cardio I do. If I'm trying to put on mass, I eat a bit differently, in the sense that I eat more. Although, trying to create this calorie excess while being completely healthy is a bit difficult (especially if you're a grad student who's never at home). My goal right now is to try to put on about 10 more lbs, then do my best to lower my body fat... planning on doing that by eating a very healthy diet, using HIIT 2-3x/week, and continuing with weight training.

• 2 weeks later...
yes drink milk! I love milk.

That's precisely what I meant. If I'm trying to lower body fat, I remove that calorie excess, increase the amount of cardio I do. If I'm trying to put on mass, I eat a bit differently, in the sense that I eat more. Although, trying to create this calorie excess while being completely healthy is a bit difficult (especially if you're a grad student who's never at home). My goal right now is to try to put on about 10 more lbs, then do my best to lower my body fat... planning on doing that by eating a very healthy diet, using HIIT 2-3x/week, and continuing with weight training.

Out of curiosity, what kind of HIIT are you doing? Mine's been relegated to stair sprints since the winter started (no indoor track nearby). Dash up 5 stories, walk briskly down, repeat four more times. Take four minutes break do again (and maybe again, depending if I have time). Only problem is I broke my nose again recently and anytime I get my blood pressure up, the thing starts spurting like a fountain. Means longer breaks.

BTW, any of you guys do plyometrics? Obviously great for sports, but I've been wondering if they have any other benefits (apart from explosiveness)... Mass, strength, etc...

I have this recurring nightmare of a hot muscular blonde who seduces me and proceeds to suffocate me between her massive man-thighs. That picture's not helping.

I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh at that image. Partly because when I was in my fourth year I was cycling all the time in hilly terrain and my friends joked that I had rock-crushing-thighs. I'm not blonde though, so you don't have to worry.

Out of curiosity, what kind of HIIT are you doing? Mine's been relegated to stair sprints since the winter started (no indoor track nearby). Dash up 5 stories, walk briskly down, repeat four more times. Take four minutes break do again (and maybe again, depending if I have time). Only problem is I broke my nose again recently and anytime I get my blood pressure up, the thing starts spurting like a fountain. Means longer breaks.

BTW, any of you guys do plyometrics? Obviously great for sports, but I've been wondering if they have any other benefits (apart from explosiveness)... Mass, strength, etc...

I'm reinstating HIIT into my workout soon. Your dash up 5 stories-walk briskly down seems great. Since it's winter, I usually just relegate HIIT to the treadmill. I like to do 1 min-1:30 of sprinting, followed by a 1 minute jog... and then 1 min-1:30 sprint, followed by a jog... repeat for 15 minutes or so and listen to some really fast paced music to keep me motivated! Kinda boring though, I'd find it way more fun to dash up and down stairs. At least it'll feel like I'm doing something then. God, I gotta get myself in cardio shape again. That, and I've been being a bit too lax with my diet the past 3 weeks - time to clean up my food choices! :P

I have this recurring nightmare of a hot muscular blonde who seduces me and proceeds to suffocate me between her massive man-thighs. That picture's not helping.

Nightmare... that sounds like my fantasy... i mean... WOT! :eek::P

• 3 weeks later...

I'm ready for spring. Mostly cause that means school ends. :D

I haven't seen the gym in quite a while now. I think since the week before reading week. Yea its been a looonnngg time. LOL. This summer I'm gonna get into more HIIT. Gotta get that cardio up and that fat % down.

I'm ready for spring. Mostly cause that means school ends. :D

I haven't seen the gym in quite a while now. I think since the week before reading week. Yea its been a looonnngg time. LOL. This summer I'm gonna get into more HIIT. Gotta get that cardio up and that fat % down.

Haha. I have to do that too man. I just hope MCAT gets out of the way sooner, will free up SO MUCH of my time.

This ever happen to anybody? I was working out today, well-hydrated and well-rested, and everytime I would start pushing myself, I'd get a pounding headache in the front of my head (i.e. doing the last pull-up of a set). I'd get dizzy and the headache would subside a little with some rest but it was consistently occuring. I had to take tylenol to stop it, which worked.

This ever happen to anybody? I was working out today, well-hydrated and well-rested, and everytime I would start pushing myself, I'd get a pounding headache in the front of my head (i.e. doing the last pull-up of a set). I'd get dizzy and the headache would subside a little with some rest but it was consistently occuring. I had to take tylenol to stop it, which worked.

I've only ever felt dizzy and like **** after doing some heavy deadlifts, never gotten a headache. However, I have a love-hate relationship with caffeine, and I find that during caffeine withdrawals if I push myself physically I'll get a terrible headache that feels like it's coming from the front of my head, but if I relax it'll go away.

Is this the first time you've had this happen? If it's not a recurring issue then I probably wouldn't worry about it much.

Archived