Premed 101 Forums

Whey protein supplements. Really works or placebo?

deeman101

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Argh! You know I'm not gonna have much fun there law! And $30 for not having much fun makes my brown cheap bastard senses tingle like crazy. :rolleyes:

We might get in free...

We're on guest list and paying reduced cover...

and we've hijacked this thread!!

&there's bound to be a bunch of hotties :P

KEEP TALKING ABOUT WORKING OUT PPL!!

You're the only person I've encountered that uses kg for gym purposes.

Good stuff though, cleans and jerks aren't in my repertoire, I'm a very clumsy person so deadlifts and squats will do lol. Speaking of clumsy, my bench press pain threshold from injury is now 185 lbs - bit more than half of what I used to do. LOL, oh well, better than nothing. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

you can make a lot of progress on deadlifts in a short amount of time. most people add 5-10lbs a week if they are totally new to them.

Nice! Well, I tried learning the form, still gotta improve though. I struggled a bit with form because my legs were still sore from introducing squats into my workout on Wednesday. I have been pretty neglectful to my legs and lower body (when it comes to weight training), which I know is pretty terrible - but I'm fixing that now. It's just been tough finding time to learn more exercises and change things up. I'm glad that I finally am doing that now though.

Nice! Well, I tried learning the form, still gotta improve though. I struggled a bit with form because my legs were still sore from introducing squats into my workout on Wednesday. I have been pretty neglectful to my legs and lower body (when it comes to weight training), which I know is pretty terrible - but I'm fixing that now. It's just been tough finding time to learn more exercises and change things up. I'm glad that I finally am doing that now though.

Squats and deadlift will probably make the most significant increases in visible muscle and thickness in your body. It'll cause a spillover effect into the other lifts too. It differentiates the small guys you'd see curling in the dumbell area and the small dudes at the machines. Make sure to get that form right (go light at first) to reduce risk of injury. Safety and form first...trust me lol.

Squats and deadlift will probably make the most significant increases in visible muscle and thickness in your body. It'll cause a spillover effect into the other lifts too. It differentiates the small guys you'd see curling in the dumbell area and the small dudes at the machines. Make sure to get that form right (go light at first) to reduce risk of injury. Safety and form first...trust me lol.

You realize you just almost perfectly described law? If you added some comment about working abs like mad to try and get a six pack you would've been bang on.

Why do you think law never says how much he can lift? :cool:

Hope he's lower than 10% bodyfat because abs don't show up above that!

Oh well heavy compounds (utilization of two or more joints) are always a step in the right direction, you'll get bigger guaranteed. Heavy compounds = barbell bench/squat/deadlift/shoulder press and bent over row, pull-ups, dips, upright row. In fact, those are all you really need to do so it's pretty time efficient.

If you're a nerd like me:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Check out this for weight loss:

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

Trembblay A, Simoneau JA, Bouchard C. (1994). Impact of Exercise Intensity on Body Fatness and Skeletal Muscle Metablism, Metabolism. 43(7): 814-818.

You realize you just almost perfectly described law? If you added some comment about working abs like mad to try and get a six pack you would've been bang on.

Why do you think law never says how much he can lift? :cool:

That's an awful lot of tough talk for a guy who hasn't been going to the gym for a year. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not too bad with my weights right now. I'm actually pretty happy. I just started weight training in June. I've gotten my LAT pull down up to 200 lbs (I started off somewhere just over 100 or so). I've been incrementally going up in my benching. I usually do 4-5 sets on a flat bench press (reps vary, but usually first 3 I try to do between 8-10... last 2 I challenge myself with heavy weights and try to aim for 6). Last week I ended my bench press with about six reps @ 165 lbs. Considering that I'm now about 165lbs, I don't think that's bad at all! I've never tried to do a 1 rep max before though, so wouldn't be able to tell you that number.

Anyway, I generally don't talk about numbers because I don't really care about how much anyone can do. I'm just really focused on challenging myself and looking for ways to train my muscles harder. So many things can affect people's numbers... such as where they're holding the bar and the type of motion they're doing when they're performing the exercise. So whatever anyone says about weights, I just take with a grain of salt. It's all about fighting yourself and pushing yourself hard though! That's where the real battle is.

Hope he's lower than 10% bodyfat because abs don't show up above that!

Oh well heavy compounds (utilization of two or more joints) are always a step in the right direction, you'll get bigger guaranteed. Heavy compounds = barbell bench/squat/deadlift/shoulder press and bent over row, pull-ups, dips, upright row. In fact, those are all you really need to do so it's pretty time efficient.

If you're a nerd like me:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Check out this for weight loss:

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

Trembblay A, Simoneau JA, Bouchard C. (1994). Impact of Exercise Intensity on Body Fatness and Skeletal Muscle Metablism, Metabolism. 43(7): 814-818.

Yeah I totally agree. I'm trying to get bigger right now, so I've been changing my workout to hit those large muscle groups harder and get more bang for my buck during my workouts. I spent March - June losing weight (lost about 50 lbs :eek)... and I started focusing more on weight training program around June.

My body fat % right now is up a bit (~10%) because I'm eating a lot more than before. I don't mind, I'm doing my best to keep things as lean as possible though. For me, my biggest problem regarding abs at the moment is not body fat, but lower abdominal skin looseness (from losing 50 lbs)... it's not really bad, but it definitely was blocking me from six-pack territory back when I got my body fat really low (~8% or so at the time). Abs are just torture trying to get and maintain lol. Anyway, I decided I wouldn't focus on my abs at the moment... I still am working out very regularly, but because I'm not eating to lower body fat at the moment it's not the primary focus (I try to do p90 ab ripper x about 3x/week... I was doing it more often before, idiotically though b/c I was probably overtraining.).

For sure. All these exercises too will boost growth hormone levels too and help spillover to other muscle groups even more. And yeah, I went light first b/c I need to get form down before anything. Unlike Dee, I didn't try to deadlift 225lbs the first time I did deadlifts. :rolleyes:

Anyway, since I'm basically in the lab all day... it's been so hard to keep things up. I don't know how, but I've managed to go to the gym at least 3x/week (normally 4x, sometimes 5) since then. I'm just happy I am forcing myself to keep going and sticking with things. God I love the gym. I don't know what I'd do without it.

The other day I told lost__in__space asked me if I could get into med school this second but never go to the gym again, would I do it... and I said hell no. haha. The gym helps me stay sane (well, I'm not sane to begin with... but makes me be a bit less crazy).

PS - thanks for the link Octavius, will definitely come in handy!! :D

Wow, you used to be obese?

200 lat pulldown, why not do pullups instead? They're closed chain kinetic exercises and would probably be superior for lat development than an open chain kinetic exercise (pull down).

Congrats on the weight loss, 50 lbs is pretty impressive. So you were just cutting that whole time, that's cool.

I know what you mean. In school, it was hard to find time for the gym but it does have a de-stressing and mood stabilization effect. I couldn't live without the gym. That site is pretty good, easy to remember to, ExRx, exercise prescription hahah. It's the most down to earth site I found for information and details. I learned a lot of kin on this thing.

There are one rep max calculators online where you punch in a weight at a specific number of reps and it derives the amount of weights at different reps that you can do. Don't worry about doing maxes unless you are into the personal records thing. I'm never doing a max again! LOL

Yeah weight lifted doesn't matter, all that matters is that you progress in one form or another and you seemed to have done that! Consistency is key, I didn't think I'd ever go over three plates, but it just happened since I was stacking on 2.5 plate every 2 weeks or so. Just keep at it. So diligent with the labs. Wow 50 lbs, most I've taken down at once was 30 lbs.

if your going to be on a routine i would do bill starrs 5x5 or rippetoes 5x5. after you exhaust all gains from it you will have built a very solid base.

I've heard of this before actually. Should probably look into it more.

Wow, you used to be obese?

200 lat pulldown, why not do pullups instead? They're closed chain kinetic exercises and would probably be superior for lat development than an open chain kinetic exercise (pull down).

Congrats on the weight loss, 50 lbs is pretty impressive. So you were just cutting that whole time, that's cool.

I know what you mean. In school, it was hard to find time for the gym but it does have a de-stressing and mood stabilization effect. I couldn't live without the gym. That site is pretty good, easy to remember to, ExRx, exercise prescription hahah. It's the most down to earth site I found for information and details. I learned a lot of kin on this thing.

There are one rep max calculators online where you punch in a weight at a specific number of reps and it derives the amount of weights at different reps that you can do. Don't worry about doing maxes unless you are into the personal records thing. I'm never doing a max again! LOL

Yeah weight lifted doesn't matter, all that matters is that you progress in one form or another and you seemed to have done that! Consistency is key, I didn't think I'd ever go over three plates, but it just happened since I was stacking on 2.5 plate every 2 weeks or so. Just keep at it. So diligent with the labs. Wow 50 lbs, most I've taken down at once was 30 lbs.

Thanks man! :) I wasn't quite obese haha... but I was pretty damn overweight! Definitely headed into obesity land haha. I was always a bit overweight since I was a kid, and that got worse as I got older. Then I don't know, one day I just decided to visit Western's brand new gym (cuz you know! western is bestern :P) and then didn't want to stop. Anyway, I'm just about 5'7 and I brought my weight down from about 205 lbs at the time and a really high body fat, to about 156 lbs and <10% body fat. It was intense. A lot of cardio, mixed in with a bit of weight lifting... and a completely revamped diet, that wasn't so much a diet, as much as a whole new eating lifestyle (that I still stick with!). Anyway, I have stopped cardio right now lol... was losing weight with it!! :P I've gotten my weight back up to 165 lbs now.

Right now, I am trying to maintain going to the gym at least 4x/week. I vary what muscles I'm working out now. Trying to work out big muscles more to put on mass. Thanks for the suggestion for pull ups. I actually do pull-ups too right now. I mix it up.

Most recent back exercise day consisted of:

Lat pull down (5 sets - last set was a superset)

Rows (5 sets - superset at the end)

Shrugs (4 sets - superset last set)

Deadlifts (4 sets... just was learning them, so wasn't totally confident about form and everything with these yet!)

Pull ups (3 sets)

Then, I don't know what this is called... but the opposite of a pull up lol... when you have to resist and lower yourself back down (3 sets)

Archived