Premed 101 Forums

Whey protein supplements. Really works or placebo?

deeman101

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly OT but who can recommend me a good ab workout. I am yearning for those 6 pack abs :D

Use the 6 second abs equipment. Apparently their guarantee is that you'll get AMAZING abs in just 15 minutes a day. LOL.

I did an assignment on this. It was such bull**** (the equipment I mean).

meats have more amino acids available than whey. but nonetheless whey is a good alternative to get some protein in. quite cheap and fast. to get 6 pack lose the body fat with calorie dificit and cardio. doing crunches 1000 times will do nothing for you to get abs until you remove that fat layer first. p90x is....well meh waste of money.

How is "natural" amino acids any better than amino acids from whey (which is purified from milk, not synthetically made)?

My bad, I meant to say that you get a better source of protein from eating meat closer in relation to humans. Eating humans would technically be the best, but thats obviously never gonna happen.

Plus when you eat meat you're getting other nutrients not found in whey protein and are most likely going to be eating it as part of a meal. Protein supplements are just that; "supplements" and they should never substitute eating a real meal.

5'7, 205 lbs, endomorph, deadlift at 315 for 8 prior to injury. Squats unable to perform due to chest inflexibility although my chest is atrophying now so I am making it a priority to get back on it...I trained bench disproportionately because I would only go when my buddy went (once a week). This is when I did 315 for 5 reps in July. I was spotted though so I don't know how much help I was getting (I was getting a lot of help on the last few reps but my spots were significantly weaker).

ipqger.jpg

Wow, 5'7 and 205lbs. That's amazing.

haha, that makes tooty, me, dee and you all the same height.

Best way to get abs is to lose body fat. For a program, P90X is pretty awesome.

Ab ripper x from p90x = amazingness. Whoever said P90x is garbage is smoking crack! That workout is a really solid "core slash ab workout" as they say on the video. ;)

It's also important not to overtrain your abs. It's so tempting to do it, but just like you don't workout other muscles of your body everyday... don't do abs everyday!

There's NO doubt in my mind that the amounts of hormones and sh!t in food is directly related to not only crazy cancers and diseases, but to the inane amount of food allergies that people come up with these days...

You already know of (or ran yourself) studies to test the effects of "hormones and sh!t" from contemporary crops on people?

You should look up the differences between genetically engineered crops and organic crops. Actually its kind of the same difference between protein from whey and protein from meat. One method is just more efficient.

Google GOMAD law. I had trouble gaining weight too. Surprising considering I was once at 185lbs. Now its hard to push myself to 170lbs.

LOL, I drink prob about a L of milk a day. Not a gallon, holy ****. :P

Milk is amazing.

My prob right now is I'm getting so busy, I'm not having time to eat enough. Gotta try to fight the busy times and not skip meals!

Six small meals a day is not essential. Your body will use the calories regardless of when you eat them. I agree with everything else, but the gallons of water is also not really that essential IMO. But of course, the more water you have, the better it is. Some studies have shown that people who are not dehydrated are able to lift more and fatigue more slowly than those who are.

Eating 6 times a day isn't essential, it's really the total caloric load and protein amounts in the end but still, there is something to be said about calorie distribution about a day. And if you're eating more often, there is less likelihood that you'll be catabolizing tissue for nutrients (or at least catabolizing to a lesser degree). You will get fatter as you bulk, that's just the nature of the game. At least if you gained weight, you know you've hit caloric adequacy LOL. Bodybuilders recommend 1 g / lbs of bodyweight at least, I think the medical community (at least my GP) says 1 g / kg. I get visible results when I go over 1 g / lbs when calories are adjusted properly (I hadn't done a strict cycle since 2005). Proteins obviously have to come from good sources and are just as important as your caloric intake (you need amino acids to rebuild those actin/myosin cross bridges that were destroyed).

And yeah, bench/deadlift/squats/bent rows/pullups/shoulder press will be responsible for most of the mass you put on...heck, squats/deads/bench will probably be the most significant. If you're lazy you can get away with just doing those for weight gain, just your proportions won't be too balanced.

With respect to insulin, the bodybuilding world believes that you won't be catabolic while you have elevated amounts in your blood. So your body will most likely go through anabolic reactions (dehydration synthesis - glycogen synthesis, triglyceride esterification, protein synthesis) while insulin is taking effect. Once you leave a long gap between meals, your body will secrete glucagon/cortisol which will have a net effect of catabolizing protein (deamination) to acquire energy or lipolysis. So basically insulin is an anabolic hormone (increases synthesis reactions and minimizes catabolism) and cortisol is a catabolic hormone. By eating more often you avoid cortisol and increase insulin (they are inversely related). This is why bodybuilders will drink dextrose with their protein shake post workout. Man...you guys are tempted me to go back hardcoring this. I gotta cut...When I cut, protein goes over 2 g / lbs - not really recommended LOL but I can drop 30 lbs in 2 months with a specific diet.

Here's the diet I used...I don't recommend it if you're studying or have personal **** going on in your life lol. Low carbs make you cranky...This definitely isn't for everyone. The guy who wrote this was quite...cranky and edgy but maintains that he still got a 4.0 in school lol. Anyway this is what I used, definitely not suggesting anyone use it (very unhealthy - use at own risk). The instructions say its to lose the last few pounds of fat, if you have a lot of fat, this will flash fry whatever fat you hold.

The Ultimate Diet to Getting Ripped While Maintaining Muscle Mass

This is a Strict Diet for 8 weeks. No CHEAT days, None. 56 days Straight. If you can't deal with it, then this isn't for you. If you can hang, The results will be Phenomenal.

This is a Diet for someone who is in Shape, but just needs to lose those LAST few pounds of Stubborn fat.

This diet will work ESPECIALLY for those with excess Fat in the lower abs, thighs, lower back area.

Diet Guidelines:

Avoid All starches, You don't need them if your goal is to get down to 4-7 Percent BodyFat.

(1) Eat Tons of Green Veggies (Fiber)

(2) Eat Lots of Healthy fats ex. Steak, Flax Oil, E.V. Olive Oil, Salmon, Fish Oils, etc. (Energy)

(3) Eat TONS of Protein (Preserve Muscles).

(4) DRINK 1-1.5 gallons of H20 a day AT LEAST.

Avoid ALL fruit drinks, Juices, rice, breads.

Eat carbos ONLY after a grueling Glycogen depleting workout.

You will have tons of energy from the healthy fats, good digestion from the fiber, and great muscle hardness and protection from the protein.

Healthy Fats = Energy Protein = Muscle Hardness, Muscle Protection Fiber = Digestion, and various other health benefits.

Healthy Fats, Lots of Fiber, And TONS of Protein. That's the key.

Not only will you DROP bodyfat while maintaing Muscle, but you will ALSO have an abundance of energy and your skin (complexion) will be looking great as well.

Example of a Day

(1) 3 servings of Whey/ 1 tablespoon of Flax Oil

(2) 8-10 OZ London Broil Steak (Extra Lean)/ 1-2 cups Green Veggies.

(3) Grilled Salmon/ 1-2 cups Green Veggies.

(4) 3 servings of Whey/ 1 tablespoon of Flax Oil

(5) 2 Cans of Tuna/ Chopped Onions/Celery/ 1 tablespoon of Safflower Mayonnaise.

(6) (Post Workout) MRP or 2 servings of Whey/10 OZ Orange Juice.

(7) 8-10oz Extra Lean Steak/ 2 cups Veggies.

Breaks Down to About:

Protein 1.5 - 2 grams per lb of Bodyweight Fat .5 -.75grams per pound of bodyweight Carbs (only post workout) 30-50 grams fiber in the form of green veggies - As much as possible.

Supplements:

Do NOT take ANY FAT BURNERS...Why? They will Suppress your appetite TOO much, You need to eat every 2 hours. If you take a fat burner you won't be up to it.

1 Multivitamin Extra Zinc 30 - 50mgs Fish Oil Caps Flax Oil Liquid 200mcg Selenium 800mgs Folic Acid 800iu Vitamin E 2 grams Vitamin C.

WORKOUTS:

Staying ACTIVE!! is the KEY. ALWAYSSSS stay Active.

Lift four times a Week. Alternate Between Heavy Low Rep workouts, and high repetition moderate weight workouts.

Cardio, 4-7 days a week, Alernate Between 20 min High Intensity (Jump Ropes, Sprints) and Low intensity for 45min - 1hour (Such as walking, light jogging)

This DIET is NOT easy by any means. It takes proper planning a day ahead of time (you have to have the steaks / veggies / chicken / salmon, etc, thawed out before cooking them, put stuff in tupper ware containers...you just have to be prepared). Be prepared to Go through at LEAST one pound of lean steak a day, and 10 servings of whey protein powder a day and TONS of green veggies a day. Be prepared to be going grocery shopping at least twice a week.

Like I said this diet is not easy, But oh well, No one said this game is easy.

But remember if you can stick through it for 8 grueling weeks, you'll be satified at the end with your amazing results.

Good Luck.

P.S. NEVER mix fats and carbs at the same meal.

Peace,

Crumcake.

Submitted by

"Tha One Crumcake"

Oh yeah, as for cheat days, this guy recommended Hell days, where he ate cloves of garlic or raw onions so he can feel lucky eating whatever was specified in this gross diet. LOL. I used cheat days, but pumped down ALA and psyllium husk fibers with protein. Ahh I miss this stuff...

LOL, we're gonna turn this into one of those GET TO 8% BODY fat or GAIN THIRTY LBS threads on bb.com lmao.

Gah, right now I'm trying to have like 4-5 meals a day. God Stuffing my face, low fat high protein meals... the fats I do have are mostly healthy fats. But damnit, I'm not eating enough, I know it. Sometimes it's brutal, it's so hard to when you're at work most of the day!!! I'm def gonna have to go more hardcore though, I need to boost my caloric count.

Oh yeah, as for cheat days, this guy recommended Hell days, where he ate cloves of garlic or raw onions so he can feel lucky eating whatever was specified in this gross diet. LOL. I used cheat days, but pumped down ALA and psyllium husk fibers with protein. Ahh I miss this stuff...

Get back into it buddy. :D

I know hahah, although we'll be more nerdy about it than BB.com. I'm just reading over my insulin post LOL.

Yeah I haven't cut in awhile, all I do is pay to lift heavy weights (Borat put it really well), go home, study. So I have a bouncer build now, not pretty. It's the cutting that makes people look good, bulk is just for intimidation.

I know hahah, although we'll be more nerdy about it than BB.com. I'm just reading over my insulin post LOL.

Yeah I haven't cut in awhile, all I do is pay to lift heavy weights (Borat put it really well), go home, study. So I have a bouncer build now, not pretty. It's the cutting that makes people look good, bulk is just for intimidation.

Story of my life. Yeah, I've just started bulking after a long period of cutting. I thought I'd love bulking, but it's MORE STRESSFUL THAN CUTTING! lol

I've put on a pound for each exam we've had in med so far! (4) LOL. If I work out once during exam week, it's a miracle. And when it drops below -20 or so, I don't really go outside, either, so I don't really do any physical activity. Trying to make up for it during the break! Gonna go to the gym 6 days a week and then I'm going to buy cross-country skis tomorrow so I can ski since running outside isn't really a viable option on most days.

I've put on a pound for each exam we've had in med so far! (4) LOL. If I work out once during exam week, it's a miracle. And when it drops below -20 or so, I don't really go outside, either, so I don't really do any physical activity. Trying to make up for it during the break! Gonna go to the gym 6 days a week and then I'm going to buy cross-country skis tomorrow so I can ski since running outside isn't really a viable option on most days.

Which is pretty often in Edmonton. :P

Bulking? I love bulking man, you can go hedonistic while bulking. Cutting is a floor/restriction, a loss of freedom is always worse than having almost total freedom with food. I went on McDonald's and ice cream (McDonald's from frugality more than anything). Bodybuilding is a great hobby, it really makes you practice the art of discipline and healthy practices (ignore McDonald's and ice cream). BTW what I did was a dirty bulk...don't do a dirty bulk because you'll have way too much clean up to do afterwards lol.

Bulking? I love bulking man, you can go hedonistic while bulking. Cutting is a floor/restriction, a loss of freedom is always worse than having almost total freedom with food. I went on McDonald's and ice cream (McDonald's from frugality more than anything). Bodybuilding is a great hobby, it really makes you practice the art of discipline and healthy practices (ignore McDonald's and ice cream). BTW what I did was a dirty bulk...don't do a dirty bulk because you'll have way too much clean up to do afterwards lol.

Lol. Yeah I won't do a dirty bulk. I'm keeping it as lean as possible right now.

Archived