Premed 101 Forums

Whey protein supplements. Really works or placebo?

deeman101

YES! ATG is my new squatting technique. Before I used to do it like a powerlifter with wide stance and only to parallel. That dude Ivan does 265kg like I do 90kg, lol. It looks too effortless for him.

And YES to no belts, wraps, gloves, pussy pads, etc. But a big freakin' NO to no spotters. I don't feel comfortable getting anywhere close to max without a spotter and especially without a powercage at least.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely feel like it's useful.

I've always been pretty active but mostly in endurance sports and with my natural ectomorphic tendency I found myself to be around 150 lb for 6 ft tall.

I decided to start weight training and first did so without any whey protein. I was able to gain some weight but found myself seriously plateauing and I can only eat so much food per day due to a pretty busy schedule.

Anyways, I found whey protein, along with maltodextrin, to be a God send. Great post-workout but even between meals to increase caloric intake. I found that I have had to gradually increase my caloric intake with increasing muscle mass to keep gains going, although I know I can't keep doing this forever haha

Right now I am sitting at a hair short of 185 and consume around 3500 calories a day. I will seriously re-evaluate my goals and where to go once I get over 190, hopefully by the end of the summer since I'll have plenty of time to train.

Anyways, I do have a question though. I found that I have recently lost a little bit of definition of my abs and they are not as cut as they have been before. Which goes hand in hand with the muscle gain I guess.

I would like to cut this little bit of weight but don't want my body to begin degrading my muscle like long duration cardio can do. I have researched high intensity interval training and will begin it in 2 weeks once exams end. Has anyone had any experience with this? It seems like a good way to burn fat while retaining/building muscle. Would be a really nice leg/core workout too it seems.

same here. i actually would like to become a competitive olympic lifter and maybe even compete in the commonwealth games one day. Are u just lifting for the girlies or actually lift to excel in sports/get strong? Do you any have big long term goals? My ultimate goals are pretty much ATG squat: 250kg Clean and jerk: 185kg Snatch: 145kg Legit Standing vertical jump: 40 inches and a bodyweight of 100kg at 5'11-6 tall. I pretty young 17 years old and hopefully will achieve these goals in 5-8 years. Anyways if you liked the squat videos you will love these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UBkRpMStjM

I lift purely because I like to push myself. I've never tried BBing so my body doesn't look buff or anything lol. I don't care to be an AB&fitch model. Never had abs either, though I'm endomorphic so that would take a lot dedication. I'm really big on pound for pound though. I started for sports because I was like 5'6'' playing in football and rugby leagues full of 6'-6'11'' dudes. But now I do it just because it feels nice to push my body to such a performance levels and outperform bigger douchy-looking guys, lol.

Those are some deadly goals! The biggest guy in our gym (6'4'' 290lbs) can't squat / clean&jerk / snatch that much lol. Though he deadlifts 505lbs and benches 405lbs for reps, which is insane. Anyways I definitely think you can reach that if you're really hardcore with your training, diet, etc. When you get over 20y.o. though its much easier to gain strength. But you'll lose flexibility, if thats important to you.

That chinese guy is insane! For his jumping performance I'm surprised he can't squat more. I know a few guys that squat 405lbs but can NEVER jump like that. That other dude is effing insane at 50inch jump!! He takes off like superman lol. Try Air Alert if you want to improve jumping performance. Squats don't translate into jumps that easily. My friend does AA and does standing jumps at 43'', I squat way more than him and my standing jump is 37''. We both are the same height and weight.

LOL! When I was in school, I'd go to the gym super-late, too...but now that I have to be up for work no later than 7:30, I can't go later than like 9 PM.:(

Damn, that stinks!! My schedule has been crazy lately, been interviewing with MSc supervisors everyday this week and going to the baseball game in the evening, so I'm basically never home.

5 years, huh? It's highly unlikely that you know what you are talking about. Sorry, but it's very presumptuous to think you would know anything about anything after being "a part" of it for five years.

I have been actively training for over 19 years and certainly wouldn't propose that I "know what I'm talking about."

The person you were responding to was correct: Weightlifting refers to what you have called Olympic lifting, the terms are are often used synonymously, but weightlifting is the correct term for competing in the clean & jerk or snatch.

As the other person stated, BB'ing is the act of maximizing muscle hypertrophy and cannot be called a sport.

Regarding another subsequent post, RE: your prof stating 1.6g / KG / day...

I'm sure that they did tell you that, it's a "standard" intake level in nutritional theory. However, unless your prof has extensive experience in training high level athletes, he's just parroting what the "standard" is in the literature. And since there aren't any volume of relevant studies on it, it is just based on the accumulated conjecture of various "nutritional experts." What is relevant is that competitive strength athletes will routeinly ingest 1.5 - 2.5 g / LB / day... or roughly double to triple what you prof is suggesting. You can decide how applicable that may be to your situation, keeping in mind that would be an upper level for competitive strength athletes... which no one here is, or they wouldn't be asking questions here.

Regarding the original post, extra protein requirements to maximize strength development and muscular recovery are certainly not imaginary. However, I would suggest three things: 1) Be incisive with yourself about your training volume, loads, age, and resulting protein requirements. Bench pressing 1.5x BW 3x / week does not major requirements make. 2) If you find you do need extra protein in your diet to avoid limiting training gains, consider this: if your protein requirements are higher, your overall nutrient requirements are likely higher as well: food contains micro nutrients, but protein powder does not. 3)Experiment. The intake levels of others, or the "standard" intake levels will likely not apply to your situation. Play around until you find the optimal intake levels to support muscular recovery and / or growth.

A final though regarding cost: if you want to gain, try GOMAD-- Gallon Of Milk A Day... google around, you'll pull up some info.

Take it easy champ. You clearly have some issues. Bodybuilding, powerlifting and olympic lifting (yes, I know the difference- I'm a competitive powerlifter and this is what I was claiming to know about) are all types of weightlifting- or lifting weights. Seriously, before you piss all over someone next time, take the time to read what you and they have wrote. I never said bodybuilding was a sport- seems as though you were too irrational to even read what I was actually saying.

• 7 months later...

I thought spam only starts new threads? Anyhow, that info was very valuable, oh spammy one, I would never have known that proteins help growth.:eek:

Reported, btw.

2 weeks ago I was 145lbs but I (max 1 rep) bench 225lbs, deadlift 315lbs, and squat 245lbs.

I'm scared to ever meet you now.;)

I thought spam only starts new threads? Anyhow, that info was very valuable, oh spammy one, I would never have known that proteins help growth.:eek:

Reported, btw.

I'm scared to ever meet you now.;)

LOL! Where did this thread come from?!? This was made in the summer I think.

And, yea that was posted a few months ago. I've gotten stronger, and then a lot weaker since then, LOL. I don't think I look very different from a normal guy though. Just "thick". The way I train is to just get strong and athletically conditioned, unlike some people that just want to get jacked up and show off to girls. *cough* law *cough*

benching 225lbs is my goal. i dunno why but putting up 2 45lb plates on each side is just badass. i'm on the bill starr 5x5 program. look it up if you're interested. it's working pretty well so far.

oh and about the whey protein debate, afaik there's no conclusive evidence for either side. i believe there is strong evidence to support that it's as good as food. but the only advantage to having it is its convenience imo.

5x5 is amazing. I built myself up from the bar (in spring 2003) to 350 (this summer) staying consistent with that methodology (although I did stop working out in pockets)...Spots are critical though to progress and safety though - it ensures you can do your max. I benched without one for the first time a few weeks ago at a lower weight and I think I injured a pec tendon. I've been out for two months and I'm likely not going to go for bench PRs anymore. Flat benches can tear pecs if you're not careful.

Bench, deadlift, squat, shoulder press, pullups, bent over rows, and upright row are really all you need (first 4 essential). You'd be surprised how little time you'd need in the gym to get huge...but then again, most of this game is diet so if you fail there, you'd likely fail in the gym.

Good luck getting to two plates. Just eat a ****load. Most of my bench gains came from my supersize me diet (with McDonald's and ice cream)...

5x5 is amazing. I built myself up from the bar (in spring 2003) to 350 (this summer) staying consistent with that methodology (although I did stop working out in pockets)...Spots are critical though to progress and safety though - it ensures you can do your max. I benched without one for the first time a few weeks ago at a lower weight and I think I injured a pec tendon. I've been out for two months and I'm likely not going to go for bench PRs anymore. Flat benches can tear pecs if you're not careful.

Bench, deadlift, squat, shoulder press, pullups, bent over rows, and upright row are really all you need (first 4 essential). You'd be surprised how little time you'd need in the gym to get huge...but then again, most of this game is diet so if you fail there, you'd likely fail in the gym.

Good luck getting to two plates. Just eat a ****load. Most of my bench gains came from my supersize me diet (with McDonald's and ice cream)...

350lb bench press? Stats please. Preferably height, weight, body type (endomorphic, mesomorphic) and deadlift/squat max.

5'7, 205 lbs, endomorph, deadlift at 315 for 8 prior to injury. Squats unable to perform due to chest inflexibility although my chest is atrophying now so I am making it a priority to get back on it...I trained bench disproportionately because I would only go when my buddy went (once a week). This is when I did 315 for 5 reps in July. I was spotted though so I don't know how much help I was getting (I was getting a lot of help on the last few reps but my spots were significantly weaker).

ipqger.jpg

I probably won't be able to do three plates + anymore after that tendon injury though. I'm glad the thing didn't tear. It was weird and sudden, I was doing 275 normally on my own and my last rep, everything pulled, from external pec down to elbow. Oh well.

And yeah I slacked on deadlifts and squats, generally deadlifts are supposed to be significantly heavier than bench. I'm thinking of just going for aesthetics now instead of strength, so my first priority is to cut...But squats and deadlifts will generate the metabolic stress needed to cut effectively while preserving what muscle I have. I got H1N1 a few weeks ago, changed my whole body composition ratios but I was still too injured to train to regain. I think after a month atrophy sets in hard...it's been 2 already.

Anyway I'll probably take that pic and stats down soon to minimize probability identification...

Thanks. Wasn't doubting you fyi. Its just that at 3 plates you aren't really in normal gym guy range. I like to know what people did to achieve their results just for general strength training knowledge.

My absolute max was 225lbs 4 reps (spotted) when I was 150lbs. Then I totally changed the way I benched and recently I maxed at 205lbs 2 reps (no help from spotter). But haven't seen the gym in like 2 mnths now. :D

Deadlift and squat are my strengths. My chest just doesn't gain strength in the same way as my back and legs. I did 365lbs 5 rep deadlift (BW of 150lbs). And max squat is 245lbs (all the way down, ATG style) 2 reps.

Recently though I've went up to 155lbs and I've been training clean and jerks a lot. Thats my main focus so my back, legs and shoulders are getting a lot more attention than my chest.

Injuries sucks a lot! Especially when you progress that far, lol. I've been out on rotator cuff injury for a while now. Turns out my shoulders didn't have the flexibility for cleans. All I've been doing lately is improving flexibility. :D

wow 5'7 at 205 lbs. i'm the same height at 165 lbs.

hope you recover well from your injury.

your list of exercises looks a little different from mine. the version of 5x5 i'm working with is bench, squat, row, incline bench, dead, with a focus on the first three.

where did you get your 5x5 plan?

Wow, this topic is back from the dead. It's probably already been answered but protein from meat is better than protein supplements because you're getting natural amino acids. Anywho that is all.

How is "natural" amino acids any better than amino acids from whey (which is purified from milk, not synthetically made)?

Wow, this topic is back from the dead. It's probably already been answered but protein from meat is better than protein supplements because you're getting natural amino acids. Anywho that is all.

lol. 'natural'

do you eat a lot of 'organic' foods too?

Archived