Premed 101 Forums

How awesome would it be if Adcom people answered questions on this forum?!

I think it's a great investment of time and effort for each school to dedicate part of their Adcoms' schedule to answering questions on this forum. There are always questions that come up that really no one but them can answer. Why not lay out all the answers in a public forum for everyone to read? It will save them time in answering phone calls imo. And sometimes, when certain information cannot be disclosed, they can simply say "we cannot disclose that information." It's easy and will save everyone time.

You mean people who don't know this forum right?

People who frequent this forum have no reason to ask questions already answered. If the adcom members choose appropriate account names, like, say, UAlberta_Admissions, there shouldn't be any ambiguity.

A lot of schools' admissions offices check these forums out. At Dalhousie, the changes made to the application process were influenced from feedback from these forums. So... even though we don't get much feedback, our voices are sometimes heard.

A lot of schools' admissions offices check these forums out. At Dalhousie, the changes made to the application process were influenced from feedback from these forums. So... even though we don't get much feedback, our voices are sometimes heard.

that's fine. but i'm talking about questions regarding details in the admissions process, dates, times, documents, kinks, courses, that people would have to call into admissions offices about specifically. those are the questions that can be answered once-and-for-all and should be made public to save applicants' time to ask and their own time to answer.

that's fine. but i'm talking about questions regarding details in the admissions process, dates, times, documents, kinks, courses, that people would have to call into admissions offices about specifically. those are the questions that can be answered once-and-for-all and should be made public to save applicants' time to ask and their own time to answer.

related, or perhaps in parallel it would be great if a FAQ came out of the forums and was put on their websites. Ever notice that a lot of the Faqs out there don't actually mesh up well with what is normally asked on the forums :)

People in UWO Admissions and Student Affairs also read this forum (or at least, the UWO subforum), but choose not to post.

Having seen the way that some people act on this semi-anonymous forum, and having heard horror-stories about candidates (and parents!) who have been completely obnoxious to the folks in admissions on the phone and in person (where their identities are known) I don't blame the good folks in the office for not posting here. Besides, at least at UWO, that office is busy enough as it is.

I'm just speculating about why there isn't an "official" Admissions presence on this board, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the op's suggestion.

People in UWO Admissions and Student Affairs also read this forum (or at least, the UWO subforum), but choose not to post.

Having seen the way that some people act on this semi-anonymous forum, and having heard horror-stories about candidates who have been completely obnoxious to the folks in admissions on the phone and in person (where their identities are known) I don't blame the good folks in the office for not posting here. Besides, at least at UWO, that office is busy enough as it is.

I'm just speculating about why there isn't an "official" Admissions presence on this board, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the op's suggestion.

that's my thinking as well.

but with some time invested in the beginning, i bet an adcom can turn their respective school's forum into a really efficient information hub. Ian can probably make them a mod for their forum. They can link their website to this forum too. All kinds of awesome can happen. But it probably won't take.:cool:

because people would continue to ask the same questions over and over again instead of searching on the forum. the people on admissions committee have actual jobs they are busy with and do the admissions committee as an add-on to their regular responsibilities, which takes A LOT of time. also, some schools (not sure if all do this, dal does this for sure), have med students on the committee so there ARE people from the admissions committee on this board.

Archived