Premed 101 Forums

People make a WILD guess on this one

What do u think the GPA/average % cut off will be for the 2009/2010 cycle for OOP? Do u think it will be the same as 2008/2009 which was 92.4? Hit me up with ideas!!!!

Reason for me to ask this is because I have a 92.15 so will not make the cut off if it stays at 92.4 or becomes even higher..........

What do u think the GPA/average % cut off will be for the 2009/2010 cycle for OOP? Do u think it will be the same as 2008/2009 which was 92.4? Hit me up with ideas!!!!

Reason for me to ask this is because I have a 92.15 so will not make the cut off if it stays at 92.4 or becomes even higher..........

Tough call, in theory it should drop a little bit with the passing of the double cohort and more med spots opening up, but that is pure speculation :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I just received an email from admissions and apparently my 2 year average is 93.12, which is higher than expected, but in the email she hinted that the expected cut-off would actually be HIGHER than that and seemed to be discouraging me from applying. Where are all these 95%+ 4.0 GPA people coming from? Can't they get in at their own in-province schools? This is getting pretty ridiculous. Do you think I should still apply?

Well, I just received an email from admissions and apparently my 2 year average is 93.12, which is higher than expected, but in the email she hinted that the expected cut-off would actually be HIGHER than that and seemed to be discouraging me from applying. Where are all these 95%+ 4.0 GPA people coming from? Can't they get in at their own in-province schools? This is getting pretty ridiculous. Do you think I should still apply?

93.12 is still pretty high, i would still apply with that

I would apply. USask seems to have the easiest app. It's just a matter of paying the application fee and then you never know what may happen with the cutoff.

I would apply. I doubt it will ever go over 93%

I just wish they would update their website and stop encouraging people with high 80's to apply :mad:

Oh how I wish my 90.3% would get me an interview...

wow that is pretty crazy.....imo they should really give all applicants over 90% interviews b/c i dont think there really is much difference academically after that kind of percentage.....

Yeah, thats why it's even 100% interview for OOP - they believe it is really next to impossible to assign a weighting to academics at that point (as per a conversation with the dean of admissions last year) :)

With all due respects to Health science students at mac, yes their grades are deff inflated....firstly the nature of their program is PBL style learning which..again no offence...is much less stressul and demanding than the traditional teaching pattern atsay UFT or other Mac programs...Health science students are advantaged in numerous ways actually...and they dont necessarily learn more than all the othe pre meds...having said that..this program is perfectly tailored to get you into med school.

Please dont attack me on this comment...its true:)

With all due respects to Health science students at mac, yes their grades are deff inflated....firstly the nature of their program is PBL style learning which..again no offence...is much less stressul and demanding than the traditional teaching pattern atsay UFT or other Mac programs...Health science students are advantaged in numerous ways actually...and they dont necessarily learn more than all the othe pre meds...having said that..this program is perfectly tailored to get you into med school.

Please dont attack me on this comment...its true:)

roflmao. I am a mac health sci grad. and just hahahahahahaha. riiiight lol. BTW, I would like to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn ;) haha Also, the moon landing was a hoax and Jimmy Hoffa is still alive. He works with Elvis Presley over at the Motel 6.

as a health sci myself i definitely dont appreciate people crapping on our program. the truth of the matter is we work our asses off. Is it easier in some respects? Some would say yes and I would agree. Is it much harder in other respects? Definitely.

Health sci students like myself take a large number of our courses outside the faculty. Do we dominate these classes? Yes. In fact, my grades from faculties other than health sciences are probably better than my health sci grades.

as a health sci myself i definitely dont appreciate people crapping on our program. the truth of the matter is we work our asses off. Is it easier in some respects? Some would say yes and I would agree. Is it much harder in other respects? Definitely.

Health sci students like myself take a large number of our courses outside the faculty. Do we dominate these classes? Yes. In fact, my grades from faculties other than health sciences are probably better than my health sci grades.

No need to take it so personally...what I said still stands

Your domination of other classes is confounded by your overall easier workload. Inquiry classes--bah..what a joke. Truth of the matter is that if you're working your ass off in health sci you're doing something wrong. Truth of the matter is that your marks will come come easier than other programs. You will have an advantage because you will meet your profs in small classes right from the beginning. Your lack of a social life in high school has paid off. You are in a program which gives you a leg up on everyone else. You should recognize that.

Archived