Premed 101 Forums

People make a WILD guess on this one

Your domination of other classes is confounded by your overall easier workload. Inquiry classes--bah..what a joke. Truth of the matter is that if you're working your ass off in health sci you're doing something wrong. Truth of the matter is that your marks will come come easier than other programs. You will have an advantage because you will meet your profs in small classes right from the beginning. Your lack of a social life in high school has paid off. You are in a program which gives you a leg up on everyone else. You should recognize that.

(you said, "Truth of the matter" is twice)

:)

I'm sorry to interrupt the bashing of Mac Health Sci :P , but I've got a question about Sask application. I'm assuming the 26N is a strict MCAT cutoff, but does anyone know if there is any chance of getting an interview with a lesser score in one section? I have a P12-V11-B12-WM for 35M and have emailed to ask about this but have received no response. Anyone know anything about this?

the healthsci bashing is pretty unfair, I think it IS a pre-med program because the things they teach you is to get you ready for professional schools but it is unfair to say there is grade inflation because that just discredits all the hard work and effort people have put in over the years. So of course people will take it personally, it's saying that they do not deserve the marks they worked so hard for.

the truth is for the most part people in healthsci are very driven smart and resourceful. it's hard to deny this. So they will be very good academically wherever they go. You don't hear about the people in healthsci who slack off, but they exist and they get crap marks like people who slack off in other programs. I don't understand why people think it's grade inflation. you have a bunch of people who have worked hard in high school and work hard in university and are willing to do more than expected, of course they get good marks. Most of them want to get into med school, so of course, you see more of them in med schools

so don't hate. just because there are fewer midterms and exams to cram for, doesn't mean there is grade inflation. saying that is just an insult to the people in healthsci who do work hard for their grades. :)

the healthsci bashing is pretty unfair, I think it IS a pre-med program because the things they teach you is to get you ready for professional schools but it is unfair to say there is grade inflation because that just discredits all the hard work and effort people have put in over the years. So of course people will take it personally, it's saying that they do not deserve the marks they worked so hard for.

the truth is for the most part people in healthsci are very driven smart and resourceful. it's hard to deny this. So they will be very good academically wherever they go. You don't hear about the people in healthsci who slack off, but they exist and they get crap marks like people who slack off in other programs. I don't understand why people think it's grade inflation. you have a bunch of people who have worked hard in high school and work hard in university and are willing to do more than expected, of course they get good marks. Most of them want to get into med school, so of course, you see more of them in med schools

so don't hate. just because there are fewer midterms and exams to cram for, doesn't mean there is grade inflation. saying that is just an insult to the people in healthsci who do work hard for their grades. :)

I heard about that program on this site. However I don't think your argument is valid. I am sure those people are smart and such but why when they work hard and stuff they get 90+ or A+ but when engineers work hard they only get a 70+ or an 80+ (u gotta be a genius). I don't think the engineers are any less smart or work less hard than those healthsci people. Just my opinion.

I heard about that program on this site. However I don't think your argument is valid. I am sure those people are smart and such but why when they work hard and stuff they get 90+ or A+ but when engineers work hard they only get a 70+ or an 80+ (u gotta be a genius). I don't think the engineers are any less smart or work less hard than those healthsci people. Just my opinion.

Look, as I have said before, not all health scis do that well. I am a mcmaster health sci graduate and I don't have that high of a gpa (I am doing a second degree now to raise my gpa to apply for meds and i am finding my second degree to be ridiculously easy compared to health sci). That said, the grades needed for health sci are higher than for engineering:

The cutoff for mac engineering according to the website is:

Anticipated Cut-Off Range- September 2009 (Subject To Change) = 82-84%

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/future/apply.html

The cutoff for mac health sci according to the website is:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/admissionslevel1.html

Anticipated Cut-Off Range:

* Admission is by selection - a minimum of 90% is required for consideration

Wow ..honestly . no one cares if yor program is easy or not!!! 50-60% of the people frolm your program to get into med school, so that puts your program in a respectable position regardless

PS - Have you ever heard of outliers in stats? You might be an outlier, but majority of the ppl from your program do have higher GPAs than the rest of the population . There is no conclusive answer to whether or not your program is easy..coz as we all know..."easiness" is a very subjective thing

Wow ..honestly . no one cares if yor program is easy or not!!! 50-60% of the people frolm your program to get into med school, so that puts your program in a respectable position regardless

roflmao. No one cares? You and all these other people seem to care enough. I'm not the one starting these posts. haha.

roflmao. No one cares? You and all these other people seem to care enough. I'm not the one starting these posts. haha.

I guess the program is a bit of a target. It only accepts very well performing high schools students so you would expect people in the program to do very well, but aspects of the program do seem to make it relatively easy to do very well in. Means you can never really resolve why people in it so well (probably just a combination of the two factors).

• 3 weeks later...

While the students in our class from health scie at MAC are nice and all...we all know that they aren't anything special in regards to intellect, wit, or anything for that matter. They are overrepresented, and all have what seems to me grossly inflated gpas. You can talk to med students from any medical school - it actually bothers me quite a bit...and also some medical staff. Seriously, McMaster needs to reevulate the grading system in that program.

• 3 weeks later...
Look, as I have said before, not all health scis do that well. I am a mcmaster health sci graduate and I don't have that high of a gpa (I am doing a second degree now to raise my gpa to apply for meds and i am finding my second degree to be ridiculously easy compared to health sci). That said, the grades needed for health sci are higher than for engineering:

I meant Engineer from Waterloo, or you can also use Biotech and chartered accountant program (95% cut off from high school) those in your eyes must be geniuses) however only very few get 80+.

Talk to the Engineering Science students at U of T. This is one of the few program where the average entrance is higher than Mac Health Sci. First year, many transfer to different engineering programs and their averages are in the 60s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1.) tjhe same bashing of mac health scis has gone on for years in exactly the same manner over and over again. i think we should just accept that there is no definite answer to the debate.

2.) where are people getting the cut offs for last year's OOP from? I wasn't aware of that as an applicant last year who interviewed. Interestingly, a friend of mine with higher GPA got rejected pre-interview.... and what's the conversion chart used by Dal?

Saskatchewan OOP GPA is a bit of a personal pet peeve for me.

I attend McGill, and based on the conversion, our highest grade is a 93% (=4.0)

It's a bit annoying, seeing that the cutoff actually fluctuates around there. If it goes any higher, it'd be funny to say that you got rejected by a pure GPA cutoff when you have a 4.0 from McGill.

• 1 month later...
Isn't that slightly down from last year?

Of course it is still extremely high. They really need to update the website to better reflect was is realistically a competitive gpa.

Only by 0.1. Seems sask is pretty consistent in their oop cutoff.

This year 92.3% :( :( :(
Sorry to hear that. Did you apply at other schools?

Archived