Premed 101 Forums

Please Help

Hello. I am a third year at UofT and was accepted to med school this year. I did not think that I would get accepted and I merely applied in the hopes of getting a better experience of the application process. I was put on a waitlist and got off the waitlist just recently. Completely shocked, excited, and worried. I really want to go but I'm wondering if I should finish my bachelor degree. Thing is that UofT no longer has the 15 course degree so I would need another 3 courses (I have 18 but requirement wise). Is there ant drawback to not having your bachelor if you have an MD? Similarly out of curiosity: do MDs with masters and PhDs have more opportunities/jobs that are not research related? I ask this b/c recently someone told me that to work at major hospitals espcially the ones in T.O. you need a graduate degree for sure. Thank you.

Hello. I am a third year at UofT and was accepted to med school this year. I did not think that I would get accepted and I merely applied in the hopes of getting a better experience of the application process. I was put on a waitlist and got off the waitlist just recently. Completely shocked, excited, and worried. I really want to go but I'm wondering if I should finish my bachelor degree. Thing is that UofT no longer has the 15 course degree so I would need another 3 courses (I have 18 but requirement wise). Is there ant drawback to not having your bachelor if you have an MD? Similarly out of curiosity: do MDs with masters and PhDs have more opportunities/jobs that are not research related? I ask this b/c recently someone told me that to work at major hospitals espcially the ones in T.O. you need a graduate degree for sure. Thank you.

I am not usually this forceful on the forum, but go to med school. Period.

First of all an M.D. IS an undergraduate degree, which of itself will let you got to grad school etc in the future if you so desire. You will have zero loss of opportunities.

Second there is little chance you can defer, and a good risk you may not easily get accepted a second time.

:)

Can you defer, finish ur degree then go next year? I dunno if thats allowed but if it was thats what I personally would do. Otherwise just go!!

No.

And to the OP: Congrats on getting in from 3rd year. I dont know who is feeding you these ideas, but they are probably just saying these things to get you worried because they are jealous that you got in and they didnt. You do not need a graduate degree to work in major hospitals, and if you wanted to do to research, you can do it after you graduate from med school. What school did you get accepted into?

No.

And to the OP: Congrats on getting in from 3rd year. I dont know who is feeding you these ideas, but they are probably just saying these things to get you worried because they are jealous that you got in and they didnt. You do not need a graduate degree to work in major hospitals, and if you wanted to do to research, you can do it after you graduate from med school. What school did you get accepted into?

Once again. Thank you sooo much! :D :D :D

I got into Queen's and I am really really happy!

Archived