Premed 101 Forums

blackberry vs iphone

If you're just starting med school, you don't really need a handheld. In my experience they are mostly helpful once you start clerkship. Then you can add programs like 1) drug reference 2)Uptodate 3)5minute Clinical Consult etc. All of which can be used on either blackberry OR iphone.

If you can hold-off, I would just wait 2 years until clerkship when newer phones come out and when you'll have more use for it.

just my 2 cents

i got one, its pretty slick :) (heh that is what the "S" stands for)

Considering the fact that I needed a cell, and usually there is a 3 yr contract...might as well get one now, I will be ready for a new phone in yr4 of medschool anyways, and I can still use the iPhone in yr3 of clerkship...

You guys are so intense...all I need my phone to do is 1) make calls 2) text lol.

Yeah I don't even text. I use my phone to make/receive calls, and as an alarm sometimes.

Luckily we have 2 yr contracts in the states so I have my random phone for the two preclin years and I'll probably get an iPhone for clerkship years.

apparently it's a good idea to hold off buying off for a bit. the feds sold off more wireless bandwidth a year or so ago, and 2 or 3 new companies will be entering the wireless market in ontario soon. i read somewhere that that the big 3 will definitely have to drop prices...and are going to try extra hard to hand on to customers whose contracts are ending soon...aka me! so its a good time to make ridiculous demands..

oo, well my contract expires nov 2010, so i would be starting my 2nd yr of med school already by then

i wonder if i should put in some money and get a new phone NOW (i.e. upgrade to a crappy blackberry) because when my contract expires i can get an iphone for the next 3 years of med school

the phone i have right now is a nokia, it's cool, 2MP cam, good for texting, so an upgrade to a blackberry would just look cool, not sure if i need the functions...are any functions useful for the pre-clinical yrs? or is it just enough to have my little laptop with me all the time?

You'll find that most medical students use their iPhone / BB in medical school for two things:

1) Texting during class

2) Playing brickbreaker / games during class

Although brickbreaker is awesome, I'm getting bored of the sole game BB comes with

haha I have downloaded so many free gaming apps for the iphone already, I know that'll keep me occupied during school ;)

There's a free app game on the iPhone – paper toss or whatever it's called – looks exactly like the RIM offices. Makes me wonder if a disgruntled former RIM employee designed that app, haha!

Have you used a phone that receives e-mails or lets you browse the internet? Try it I dare you - you won't go back. It's like going back to dial-up after experiencing hi-speed.

Hahaha...I did.

I had a BB and, then, when I got my next device, picked the most basic cell phone model I could find. The guy in the store thought I was odd.

I'm almost ready for a BB again...or an iPhone....almost....;)

Have you used a phone that receives e-mails or lets you browse the internet? Try it I dare you - you won't go back. It's like going back to dial-up after experiencing hi-speed.

No....and it's a conscious choice due to my internet addiction, lol. Just like how I never keep candy around the house.:P

Occasionally when med students do you iphones/PDAs/blackberry's for schooling purposes in their pre-clinical years. It's usually for the anatomy programs you can get on those devices. So, you can review your anatomy wherever you are like a club, dinner, party etc. :D

I can think of at least 1 much better way to review your anatomy at a party.:cool:

Archived