Premed 101 Forums

UWO Waitlist

I am guessing they might forget to add the graduate bonus point for me. Just a guess though.

I understand how frustrating this can be but I don't know what appealing will do as it's all based on numbers. They are just taking your GPA, DAT, and interview score and then calculating a score for all of us. I bet there is just an excel spreadsheet with all of us on it and they just clicked 'Sort Highest to Lowest'.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colanring, when yougave her your name, did she ask for it again when she was looking for your spot? or did you say "hi this is ___"

Cuz I mean, I gave her my name when I said hi, and we had a full out 2 minute convo before she looked up my spot. Im thinking its a little sketchy that she didn't ask for my name again, because its not a simple name. Its hard to spell.

colanring and brooksp2, i'm not saying you had bad interviews, but, as you know, marks and DAT are only two of three elements. what you may not have known is that the breakdown schools quote to you are bull**** (eg, interview only25% at uwo, 15% at toronto). you can have a 90+ and get rejected for having a crap interview, and it might not necessarily be a crap interview on an absolute scale, but remember competition is TOUGH.

for example, my average and DAT marks were higher than the admission average for U of T, and i thought my interview went OKAY, not great and not TERRIBLE, but I got rejected and not even wait listed. The smallest differences in an interview performance make a big difference. now that i look back on my u of t interview, i'm embarassed. my western one went about 5000% better.

formulas are great and all, but when it comes down to it, numbers "unofficially" dont' mean squat if the committee puts its foot down.

again i'm not saying this applies to EITHER of you, just thought i'd point some things out, as i was surprised myself when i found out about their less systematic way of choosing applicants (this can be a bad and good thing, but i think overall, it's a good thing). Again, could entirely be an honest mistake on their part. when you get marks like that you can't really do crappy on an interview.

also the economy is having an effect. people are staying in school, going back to school, you name it. i bet med and dent classes of 2009 will be having plenty of phDs or ppl who have extensive work experience.

just my two cents, but i'm an idiot so no one listen to me

I mentioned my name in the first place. When I asked her to check my spot, she asked again.

Colanring, when yougave her your name, did she ask for it again when she was looking for your spot? or did you say "hi this is ___"

Cuz I mean, I gave her my name when I said hi, and we had a full out 2 minute convo before she looked up my spot. Im thinking its a little sketchy that she didn't ask for my name again, because its not a simple name. Its hard to spell.

I understand and agree what you are saying about the entire application process. For me, right now I wanna catch my last hope even it may not exist at all.

colanring and brooksp2, i'm not saying you had bad interviews, but, as you know, marks and DAT are only two of three elements. what you may not have known is that the breakdown schools quote to you are bull**** (eg, interview only25% at uwo, 15% at toronto). you can have a 90+ and get rejected for having a crap interview, and it might not necessarily be a crap interview on an absolute scale, but remember competition is TOUGH.

for example, my average and DAT marks were higher than the admission average for U of T, and i thought my interview went OKAY, not great and not TERRIBLE, but I got rejected and not even wait listed. The smallest differences in an interview performance make a big difference. now that i look back on my u of t interview, i'm embarassed. my western one went about 5000% better.

formulas are great and all, but when it comes down to it, numbers "unofficially" dont' mean squat if the committee puts its foot down.

again i'm not saying this applies to EITHER of you, just thought i'd point some things out, as i was surprised myself when i found out about their less systematic way of choosing applicants (this can be a bad and good thing, but i think overall, it's a good thing). Again, could entirely be an honest mistake on their part. when you get marks like that you can't really do crappy on an interview.

also the economy is having an effect. people are staying in school, going back to school, you name it. i bet med and dent classes of 2009 will be having plenty of phDs or ppl who have extensive work experience.

o i know that the inty counts for quite a lot at the end ofthe day (esp when everyone has 90 averages and 20 dat)

i was just letting colanring know that he wasnt alone in being waitlisted despite having done grad school.

I just went through the entire application cycle in the states, so in no way am i complainign about the canadian process (which actually appears to have a more solid decision makign process than the american), just stating that we shouldnt be analyzing everything to death, sometimes its a bit of a crapshoot :)

where does Trish keep going lol. Another out of office message saying she was gone until yesterday, but no reply as of yet. Anybody have problems with their student center? If you log on, and try to check the status of your application by clicking the link, do you guys get a huge SQL error or something??

Hey, the status does appear when you first log in, but I wanted to check the details. Try logging in again, and to the very left tool bar, you should see "Student Admissions" - when I try to click either the "Application Status" or "Accept Admission" links I get some series of error messages. I just wanted to make sure I'm actually on this wait list, I guess i'm being paranoid lol?

well when i click on Application Status, it says 'view to do items'? i don't get it but yeah, no error. and if i click on Accept Admission there are some error pop-ups hehe

i'm sure there's nothing wrong with your student centre...=]

i feel so compelled to think they will make many calls, judging by the small size of the FB group...but i guess lots of ppl just haven't joined the group lol

I was told that one year, they almost went entirely through the waitlist. And last year, they went through only 30. I wonder if, in general, the number of students that get accepted from the wait list is greater for Western than uoft.

i just got the call, and I am in!!!

so looks like they have gotten to moving the waitlist :)

good luck to everyone!

So just out of curiosity....does it say that you have been accepted on the Western Student center yet? Or does it still have that you are waitlisted?

O and many Congrats to you :)

I believe they received so many calls like that and they decided not to tell anybody anything more.

Boo I just called and they refused to even tell me approximately where I was on the wait list :(

I don't know how you guys who found out did it ha ha

grats to brooksp2 who, i belive, is the first official waitlistee accepted from the Boards.....did you get an e-mail as well or phone only? Like someone mentioned previously, does it show admission offered on student center?

eebee can u post your stats?

Hi guys,

I got accepted from the waitlist a week and a half ago, sorry didn't post earlier- I didn't check this thread..

I declined it for UfT

Hope that helps

Hi

Congrats on Western!

Mind if I ask if U of T send you an email that acknowledged you declined your spot?

Thanks

Hi

Congrats on Western!

Mind if I ask if U of T send you an email that acknowledged you declined your spot?

Thanks

Hey

Thanka

BUT I accepted UfT and declined UWO,

UWO didn't send any email/letter as yet. I will let you know once they do

Archived