Premed 101 Forums

The Omsas 2009-2010 Thread

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cnussey, sorry if I sound dumb. but doesn't it take like a few minutes after you enter your referee's info to download the new pdf file? Am I missing something?

Already submitted my application--cannot change it anymore. My referee fell gravely ill (what timing) and can no longer write the reference so I had to use the SAM system to ask them to change the pdf. for me. They tell me they'll email it to me--hopefully soon, I'm in a remote area and require time to have it sent in.

I graduated with my BSc a couple of years ago, but I'm currently taking a full-year non-degree course at the same school. I get that I don't have to enter the course itself in the education section (since it's in progress, correct?) but how do I show OMSAS that I'm currently in school? At the moment I've just listed the dates of attendance as Sept 2003 - April 2010, but kept my "degree conferred" date as May 2007, but I feel this isn't quite accurate as I didn't take any other courses in those years. I think it might be better to add a second listing for the same school, but then I run into problems as I'm not really in any program and there's no "none" option for that section. Help?

If I had known how annoying this course was going to be for applications, I would so have never taken it, haha.

I'm doing my sketch and there is a distinct lack of athletics, for a good reason: I have a chronic shoulder injury and just had my second surgery on it in May. I was a very good rugby player until 5 years ago, but have been unable to play sports at a competitive level since (I tried in 2nd year to rejoin rugby, but it dislocated again). I am wondering if I should list my injury under the sketch; I could just mention playing in 2nd year and re-injuring it, but with the puny character limit I wouldn't be able to get into how chronic it really is. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm doing my sketch and there is a distinct lack of athletics, for a good reason: I have a chronic shoulder injury and just had my second surgery on it in May. I was a very good rugby player until 5 years ago, but have been unable to play sports at a competitive level since (I tried in 2nd year to rejoin rugby, but it dislocated again). I am wondering if I should list my injury under the sketch; I could just mention playing in 2nd year and re-injuring it, but with the puny character limit I wouldn't be able to get into how chronic it really is. Any ideas? Thanks!

Are you still playing rugby, even recreational? I think it's definitely acceptable to include it in the sketch if it shows that you were persistent and committed through rehab, etc.

Well, an injury is not exactly an activity. However, yo umay consider putting your surgeries under Other and there may be sufficent sapce to say: shoulder surgery curtailing competitive rugby, etc.

If you are applying to U/T, your Essay may mention not only did your surgeries give you a patient perspective and understanding of the communication and collaboration required between the health profesional team and the patient, but the surgeries required you to widen the net re your team work and athletics as the injuries suffered restricted your ability to compete at the level you had attained, etc.

hey guys, I am a competitive dancer, and I am not sure where to put my placements in various comps...should they go under extracurricular or under awards and accomplishments (although the latter seems more academic..) ?

Competitive awards go under awards and accomplishments. Competitve dancining is an EC, and if you got formal education at it (e.g., I have at least a decade of education in ballet), it can go in Formal Education.

Do you guys put 'titles' for each of the verifiers? A lot of them have changed since then and I'm not sure what to put (if anything at all).

Just do your best is my advice. I'm quite sure the admissions comittees understand that it's not easy getting accurate contact information for verifiers from something that you did a long time ago...

OK I've tried to do a search for this so don't flame me...

but generally, what's the consensus on GENUINELY filling up all 48 spots on your sketch?

I know a lot of people have said its better to focus on the big things, instead of stretching insignificant activities to try to fill 48 spots and I totally agree. Hence why I used the word "genuinely"... meaning, you actually have 48 legit things (past jobs, awards, research, publications, extracurriculars) that you want to put in. Does it look like overkill?

OK I've tried to do a search for this so don't flame me...

but generally, what's the consensus on GENUINELY filling up all 48 spots on your sketch?

I know a lot of people have said its better to focus on the big things, instead of stretching insignificant activities to try to fill 48 spots and I totally agree. Hence why I used the word "genuinely"... meaning, you actually have 48 legit things (past jobs, awards, research, publications, extracurriculars) that you want to put in. Does it look like overkill?

Glossing over my application, I have currently 42 things

I would say, 6 or 8 of them are "fluff" (but things I spent a lot of time doing, like foosball competitions, billiards competitions, my personal fitness regimine/being a personal training/playing many sports, learning to speak a couple languages, playing the guitar, etc...), but I feel that I should include them because it gives adcoms a better look into who I am (past the similar job titles/EC's that most people probably have)

Quality > Quantity, but you need some quantity in there IMO

As long as there is a purpose behind what you did (and listed) and you can explain it, I think you are good.

Archived