Premed 101 Forums

The Omsas 2009-2010 Thread

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But in a thread in Mac section someone said they don't look at sketch at all.. I don't know then. But if Queen and UofT looks at the detailed sketch then it's fine.
Mac looks at the sketch. I think the question is whether they look at it pre- or post-interview. I'm not sure what the answer to that question is. I've heard varying answers.

Mac looks at the sketch.

Says Who?

Pre-Interview Considerations

32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

Post Interview Considerations

70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

From their website...

Says Who?

Pre-Interview Considerations

32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

Post Interview Considerations

70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

From their website...

I know those formulae. However, I know a few people who are current Mac students in various years. Some of them have told me that the autobio score is only the 5 questions and some have told me it's the 5 questions and a brief look at the basic sketch (with the questions taking on a significantly higher weighting than the sketch, obviously). And some of those who told me that they don't look at the sketch pre-interview have said that they take a quick look at it post interview. It's not exactly clear and the wording in that formula is slightly ambiguous/up for interpretation.

So the section where you put your courses and grades has course lengths that count a semester course as 1.0 in weight. The section also shows another choice for lab (0.5). So I take it that a lecture plus lab course should then be the 1.5 choice? Guess they are not following the general 0.5 credit for courses the way most ontario schools do.

So the section where you put your courses and grades has course lengths that count a semester course as 1.0 in weight. The section also shows another choice for lab (0.5). So I take it that a lecture plus lab course should then be the 1.5 choice? Guess they are not following the general 0.5 credit for courses the way most ontario schools do.

I believe you only do this if labs are a different part of your transcript.

If the lab is part of the lecture course (one grade), then you leave it as 1.0 weight.

I believe you only do this if labs are a different part of your transcript.

If the lab is part of the lecture course (one grade), then you leave it as 1.0 weight.

Oh, so they don't take into account the extra weight of having a lecture + lab vs just a lecture course?

Hold on, if labs were a separate part of the transcript then wouldn't you have 2 entries? The lecture as 1.0, and the lab as another entry of 0.5 with corresponding grades? So then what's the 1.5 used for? :confused:

Oh, so they don't take into account the extra weight of having a lecture + lab vs just a lecture course?

Hold on, if labs were a separate part of the transcript then wouldn't you have 2 entries? The lecture as 1.0, and the lab as another entry of 0.5 with corresponding grades? So then what's the 1.5 used for? :confused:

There are some 3/4 weight course at some schools - like human anatomy at Guelph for instance - those are worth 1.5 credits. Obviously pretty rare, but it does happen so OMSAS has a category for it.

Your right about how you generally handle separate lab and lecture courses though. Some programs - like waterloo - have separate courses for the labs, ie chem 266 is basic organic chemistry (a standard lecture course) and the lab is chem 266L a separate half weight course. You can take the two completely independently in theory at least, ie I took chem 267L one year before I took chem 267. Any in a case like this you record them separately. I suppose the key here is on my transcript each is assigned a different and separate grade - together both the lab and lecture course was worth 1.5 credits.

There are some 3/4 weight course at some schools - like human anatomy at Guelph for instance - those are worth 1.5 credits. Obviously pretty rare, but it does happen so OMSAS has a category for it.

Your right about how you generally handle separate lab and lecture courses though. Some programs - like waterloo - have separate courses for the labs, ie chem 266 is basic organic chemistry (a standard lecture course) and the lab is chem 266L a separate half weight course. You can take the two completely independently in theory at least, ie I took chem 267L one year before I took chem 267. Any in a case like this you record them separately. I suppose the key here is on my transcript each is assigned a different and separate grade - together both the lab and lecture course was worth 1.5 credits.

OK thanks for the explanation. So in the end, if you took a lecture + lab course, for some reason it is weighted as less than the courses where they are separate, even though they probably involve the same amount of hours? That kind of sucks.... I did much better on my courses that had a lab included in the lecture credit, but they will count the same as my straight-up lecture courses.

I'm not sure if this was asked before but i really didnt feel like reading through all the posts. I was wondering where to include a description of the organization that I volunteered/worked for since its not obvious through the name. The 150 character limit barely lets me describe my duties so where would I let them know what the place is about so the duties make more sense?

I had 2 research presentations and I thought of putting them under one activity. But the 100 character limit cant even let me cite my first presentation properly, how can I enter the second one. end of rant.

Archived