Premed 101 Forums

The Omsas 2009-2010 Thread

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys think about including an upcoming volunteer position (one that I haven't filled YET), but that I'll have done by the time interviews roll around?

I've done a lot of competitive skiing (provincial/national/international level), and have been interviewed to volunteer to work in a couple of positions at ski events at the Vancouver Olympics. These positions mean a lot to me, because it's my way of giving back to the sport, and I wrote a lot about what I've learned as an athlete elsewhere in my applications.

I wouldn't be including it out of desperation (already have my sketch filled, would have to remove something to put it in), but if I did get the position, it's something I'd really love to talk about at interviews, and also something that could potentially set me apart from other applicants.

There's also another problem: I haven't been FORMALLY offered the positions yet; I called the volunteer resource center today and they basically told me that since I've already received an orientation CD in the mail and passed the security check, that it's very likely I'll be receiving an offer anytime.

Any opinions?

Summer or Academic year? Why is that 100 characters max? Don't you just write "During the summer." or "During the Academic year."? I'm just worried I might be missing something...

Also:

It says you should indicate in each extracurric: "individual activity, team activity or club activity" but there really isn't room for that in some of them and it's implied by the position sometimes. Are you guys blatantly specifying what KIND of activity it is rather than describing the activity on its own?

Quick Question. I know a lot of ppl put "weight training" on their sketch. Did you include it as EC or Others?

I would put it as EC. They seem to put athletics under EC, and I think weight training counts.

I have a question ... I've written a sports blog since I was 16, and the writing is okay. I'd like to include it in my sketch since it provides a little bit of depth and variety to my activities, but is it professional? What if the adcom is not a fan of the team I am a fan of? Should I provide a link? I would feel obligated to go through and delete all the entries with swear words and not such nice things to say about certain people ... thoughts?

I just had a question regarding transcripts: if I submit my application on Monday (the 28th), will OMSAS still get my transcripts on time? I have already filled out my transcript request form and I attend an Ontario university so I hope that there won't be any complications. Thanks in advance for your help!

I was also wondering about this. I'm planning on submitting my application a day or two before the deadline and I filled out the TRF a long time ago.

Does summer "supplementary" session count towards the previous year or the next year? So if I took summer in 2005, would it count as 2005 academic year or 2006 academic year along with fall/winter of 2006.

I just had a question regarding transcripts: if I submit my application on Monday (the 28th), will OMSAS still get my transcripts on time? I have already filled out my transcript request form and I attend an Ontario university so I hope that there won't be any complications. Thanks in advance for your help!

I was also wondering about this. I'm planning on submitting my application a day or two before the deadline and I filled out the TRF a long time ago.

It'll be fine. I think I did the same thing last year. As long as it's within Ontario, having that TRF filled out on your application is all you need.

Does summer "supplementary" session count towards the previous year or the next year? So if I took summer in 2005, would it count as 2005 academic year or 2006 academic year along with fall/winter of 2006.

I would put that as a separate session entitled "2008 - Supplementary".

For example, as part of my program, I had to do a full time summer in 2008. So for my previous year of Sept. 2007-April 2008, I put it down as "Full-time 2008", and for the summer right after it, I put down "Supplementary 2008", and for the next year of Sept. 2008-April 2009, I'm putting down "Full-time 2009".

Another quick question.

Do all schools look at the detailed sketch? Some of my items has very generic titles e.g. "Basketball Tournament", "Undergrad Research Student". I seem to recall somewhere that some schools don't look at the details? Is this true? Because I could make my titles more descriptive but then it would kind of repeat the detailed description. What is everyone else doing?

Another quick question.

Do all schools look at the detailed sketch? Some of my items has very generic titles e.g. "Basketball Tournament", "Undergrad Research Student". I seem to recall somewhere that some schools don't look at the details? Is this true? Because I could make my titles more descriptive but then it would kind of repeat the detailed description. What is everyone else doing?

Anyone? Don't want this post to get stuck on the bottom page:)

Another quick question.

I think I remember reading somewhere that only Ottawa looks at the detailed sketch. I'm not 100% sure though.

I'm working on finishing my OMSAS application....

I'm from Alberta and I'm wondering a couple things...

For the scholarships I've won, how does that work if they are given by the government (ie Alexander Rutherford and the Jason Lang Memorial Scholarship)? Do I need verifiers for them? And if I do, for the Alexander Rutherford one, would I use "Premier Ed Stelmach" or like a high school teacher? And the Jason Lang one for the univeristy grades... again.. "Premier Ed Stelmach" or a random friend that also got it?

I realize this has probably already been answered, but honestly, I can find it in recent history, and considering the amount I still have to do for this application, I'd rather not spend a ton of time looking through this forum in hopes it was already asked. (I know I know... I shouldn't procrastinate like this, but I really hate having to type in the activity section for each school in Canada.... it takes awhile and is really tedious. haha)

Archived