Premed 101 Forums

The Omsas 2009-2010 Thread

I once stole a car and dumped it in a field (i'm not joking about this). It's really eating up my conscious as far as med apps go. I feel like I've grown a lot since then and am ready to take on larger responsibilities. So in the sake of full disclosure I'm wondering if I should a) mention it in my 48-item sketch (maybe under other?) or B) tactfully bring it up in my interview.

Thoughts?

general rule is if you would bring it at a job interview you can put it on the sketch. That is something you wouldn't bring up either, and so I wouldn't bring it up at the interview or on the sketch either. It is just so unlikely to help you :)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting question. I definitely would not put it under EC, so seemingly that leaves 'formal education' or 'others'. However, I lean toward "volunteering" with a note "for credit in course 222 @ university" or "qualifies as credit course in 3rd year of UG".

I have the same problem. I have devoted 120 hours as neuromuscular rehabilitation intern for elderly chronic patients at a wellness centre. This qualifies as a university credit course. I did not get paid. So, is it volunteering, formal education or under 'others'. I am not considering EC, but comments are welcome (I continued as paid employee doing the same work and this is under 'employment'). Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

Hmm...if something was part of a credit course, then the course mark goes into your GPA, so in my mind it is already accounted for under the formal education section.

re: drama course/play: Are you wanting to add the play directorship to fill a space or because you want/need to touch upon it in your essay(s)?

Re: rehab volunteering: I think if it counted as course credit, leave it out of EC/volunteering. Maybe, since you are now employed doing the same, you might mention that in your sketch description along the lines of it being "continuation of <course#> volunteer placement".

These are JMHO, but I am by no means an expert on this (despite the number of times I've filled out autobio sketches! lol)

Hey just need some clarifications on the "detailed autobiographical sketch" is that just the extra stuff we gotta fill in for the general sketch when we click into each item on the omsas website? For example the box where we have to enter # of hours or possible publications etc? So is that the "detailed autobiographical sketch" ottawa wants? And does that mean other schools other than Ottawa will only look at the general one, the one with "# Cat Date Range Description Geographic Location" and no details like # of hours etc?

I once stole a car and dumped it in a field (i'm not joking about this). It's really eating up my conscious as far as med apps go. I feel like I've grown a lot since then and am ready to take on larger responsibilities. So in the sake of full disclosure I'm wondering if I should a) mention it in my 48-item sketch (maybe under other?) or B) tactfully bring it up in my interview.

Thoughts?

why the hell would you want to mention something like this in your app or at the interview?

Gateway, unless you were charged with something, and it will come up on a criminal record check.....it is not worth writing....

If you feel you need to get it off of your chest..talk to a friend, counsellor etc.....and move onwards as your life has..

I agree: speak to a priest or something. Releasing your guilt on the admissions committee won't get you anywhere.

• 1 month later...

I worked at mcdonalds for almost a year but then University started and they wouldn't give me days off for exams and I had no choice but not to show up. My mom then had a surgery and I missed work again but I told my manager about the situation. In the same week My brother and I got a termination letter. I have two questions. What if i don't indicate this employment on my omsas activities wuld tht be considered a breach of full disclosure? My swing managers still appreciate my hard work and all so they r willing to be verifiers but in mcdonalds records I am listed as terminated from service? Do u think this would affect my application :(

Thanks for the quick reply... Another thing is that I did my elementary school and high school till grade 10 in another country. I got good grades in my Olevels but it was before I was 16 yrs of age. Should I include it in my formal education since its before I was 16 and I also have a bunch of other Ecs that I did before turning 16...

I worked at mcdonalds for almost a year but then University started and they wouldn't give me days off for exams and I had no choice but not to show up. My mom then had a surgery and I missed work again but I told my manager about the situation. In the same week My brother and I got a termination letter. I have two questions. What if i don't indicate this employment on my omsas activities wuld tht be considered a breach of full disclosure? My swing managers still appreciate my hard work and all so they r willing to be verifiers but in mcdonalds records I am listed as terminated from service? Do u think this would affect my application :(

what about giving 2 weeks notice that you will resign?

No one will make you put anything on your application - except the education rules which are formally stated, ie you must include all post secondary education etc. sorry don't feel you have to include it if you don't want too.

Second they will only contact your verifier about the event. They have neither the time or desire to somehow dig up things past that. So no worries! :)

another thing while I was trying to list my post secondary insitution.. it just gives me the option to go to year 2010..so when I have to add the record for individual years it would only let me enter information for 2 yrs while I am enrolled in my third in this current yr.. any help with this?

another thing while I was trying to list my post secondary insitution.. it just gives me the option to go to year 2010..so when I have to add the record for individual years it would only let me enter information for 2 yrs while I am enrolled in my third in this current yr.. any help with this?

Yeah, you just have to enter what the system will allow you to. All courses to date, I think it was? Then, you'll probably have to indicate that your end date is 2010 for that program.

Either way, OMSAS will send you a verification letter. Make sure you get one though. Last year, I called them and picked mine up in January. Very late!

If you're in 3rd year, you're only supposed to record the classes that you took in the previous 2 years. Where you list your post-secondary info, you're only supposed to be able to enter to the end of this school year. Don't worry. Plus, OMSAS has your transcript for verification.

Still waiting (end of the second day) for OMSAS to email me my new pdf. file. They processed the request on the 15th and have yet to complete it. It's the laaaaaaaaast thing I have to do.

Cnussey, sorry if I sound dumb. but doesn't it take like a few minutes after you enter your referee's info to download the new pdf file? Am I missing something?

Archived