Premed 101 Forums

The Omsas 2009-2010 Thread

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tis the season..

Questions, problems, random whining regarding OMSAS 2010 now has a central location.

All right:

How does one put in a verifier for private activities/sports? Such as geocaching, canoeing, swimming, etc.? I haven't placed any of these in the sketch, but there is a question regarding to extracurricular activity:

"4. List activities and interests outside academic and work environments not detailed elsewhere in the application."

So, in your opinion, am I required to put in someone with whom I have a close relationship? Or should I leave them out altogether? I've always seemed to have preferred "disorganized" sports ;)

All right:

How does one put in a verifier for private activities/sports? Such as geocaching, canoeing, swimming, etc.? I haven't placed any of these in the sketch, but there is a question regarding to extracurricular activity:

"4. List activities and interests outside academic and work environments not detailed elsewhere in the application."

So, in your opinion, am I required to put in someone with whom I have a close relationship? Or should I leave them out altogether? I've always seemed to have preferred "disorganized" sports ;)

Not required but I had a few things in the "other" category that I put, along with a verifier. things like running in marathons etc. Good section to introduce some interesting aspects of yourself :)

Not required but I had a few things in the "other" category that I put, along with a verifier. things like running in marathons etc. Good section to introduce some interesting aspects of yourself :)

I know...but the only verifier I have for such things is my husband or some blood relative.

Edit: Thanks!

I know...but the only verifier I have for such things is my husband or some blood relative.

Edit: Thanks!

I think putting a relative is OK as long as it's not overused.

For pick up sports and such you should be fine, it's not like they are the cornerstone of your EC list anyways.

I think putting a relative is OK as long as it's not overused.

For pick up sports and such you should be fine, it's not like they are the cornerstone of your EC list anyways.

Yeah...there's def. a problem asking your spouse to write a ref for you. Lol. Probably the worse I'd receive anyway! (JK) ;)

Thanks, Adam.

Yeah...there's def. a problem asking your spouse to write a ref for you. Lol. Probably the worse I'd receive anyway! (JK) ;)

Thanks, Adam.

:) Generally there has to be someone else who knows what you did? Can't imagine they are too picky about verifying simply stuff.

:) Generally there has to be someone else who knows what you did? Can't imagine they are too picky about verifying simply stuff.

No--sports I take part in are those done "together" or with other friends and family. I highly doubt geocaching is going to be the defining point of my application. I'll figure it out.

Hey!

Have any other grad students started their OMSAS applications? I'm wondering because the link for the U of T supplemental graduate student form is dead for me... was wondering if anyone else had managed to access it?

Thanks guys, good luck!!

I've got a question about the referee forms - I'm asking for LORs from research internships i've held, but that generally means i'm working for a PhD student who's working for a prof. Since the PhD student knows me better, he/she generally writes the reference letter but it gets approved by the prof, so in the referee section should I name the student or the prof? heh I hope that made sense..

I've got a question about the referee forms - I'm asking for LORs from research internships i've held, but that generally means i'm working for a PhD student who's working for a prof. Since the PhD student knows me better, he/she generally writes the reference letter but it gets approved by the prof, so in the referee section should I name the student or the prof? heh I hope that made sense..

Who is signing the letter?

Hey!

Have any other grad students started their OMSAS applications? I'm wondering because the link for the U of T supplemental graduate student form is dead for me... was wondering if anyone else had managed to access it?

Thanks guys, good luck!!

Yeah it works now.

first time applicant here...a little confused about the confidential assessment forms......in the manual, it says "confidential assessment forms are printed from the online application system before an application is submitted..."

so do WE print out this form for our referees?

first time applicant here...a little confused about the confidential assessment forms......in the manual, it says "confidential assessment forms are printed from the online application system before an application is submitted..."

I saved mine and emailed it off.

yup, I believe that is right - they cannot access them in anyway otherwise, as you have to log into OMSAS to print them off. You then give them to your selected references, which fill them out and submit them. You can send them the form as well by email of course I suppose :)

Thanks for the reply!

If we put in a referee name, and get the form, do we have to commit to that referee?

I haven't asked my references yet and so I was uncomfortable putting in their name and address..but at the same time, I wanted to take a look at the form so that when i do ask my references, I can tell them what kind of form + letter is required.

Can we go back and change the name of the references?

Thanks for the reply!

If we put in a referee name, and get the form, do we have to commit to that referee?

I haven't asked my references yet and so I was uncomfortable putting in their name and address..but at the same time, I wanted to take a look at the form so that when i do ask my references, I can tell them what kind of form + letter is required.

Can we go back and change the name of the references?

You can go back and change the information, and just reprint the form(s). If you do change the references, just so you don't confuse OMSAS try to make sure in the end game that only the references you ultimately want to use send in the forms :)

How should summer courses be entered? From my understanding, it should be in a separate "year" file, but should it be listed as semester or supplementary?

Thank you!

sumplementary :)

"The 'Supplementary' category should be used to record all courses taken as part-time, summer school and/or intersession."

How should summer courses be entered? From my understanding, it should be in a separate "year" file, but should it be listed as semester or supplementary?

Thank you!

It's not in a separate year...it's a supplementary term.

Example: (Last year for me) Fall term: Full-time

Winter term: Part-time (Supplementary)

Summer term: Full-time (Supplementary)

So my year was listed as: Semester, Supplementary (they counted my winter and summer together).

I had a baby in the winter term. They don't care. Lol.

Archived