Premed 101 Forums

The Omsas 2009-2010 Thread

sumplementary :)

"The 'Supplementary' category should be used to record all courses taken as part-time, summer school and/or intersession."

And if you look at my explanation...my "supplementary" term(s) actually have more courses combined than my full-time semester term. LOL

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:confused:

I'm wondering how to categorize activities such as 7 day portaging/camping trips? Recreational swimming? Backpacking travel abroad? Would those fall under 'extracurricular' or 'other' ?

Thanks!

Probably no "right answer" for that, but since it has nothing to do with school I would probably put it under other :)

Probably no "right answer" for that, but since it has nothing to do with school I would probably put it under other :)

I understand your reasoning, but technically, things such as participating in a sports team or being a part of an organization (UNICEF, red cross, etc) also have nothing to do with school. That being said, I do not know where "recreational swimming" or "backpacking" should go under.

Question. Who do you guys get to verify your academic awards? Nobody but myself and few friends know that I ever received some scholarships at my school.

The school should have a record, so the Head Master or School Scretary and the party or institution that granted you the scholarship would also have a record. Two or three targeted phone calls should settle the problem for you.

The school should have a record, so the Head Master or School Scretary and the party or institution that granted you the scholarship would also have a record. Two or three targeted phone calls should settle the problem for you.

absolutely, I used a advisor at the school for instance.

I understand your reasoning, but technically, things such as participating in a sports team or being a part of an organization (UNICEF, red cross, etc) also have nothing to do with school. That being said, I do not know where "recreational swimming" or "backpacking" should go under.

yeah it is a bit grey :) UNICEF is likely volunteering though, and many sports teams are 'extracurricular' as they are run through the school. Other is just the catch all for everything else.

Problem solved. Thanks!

hello,

sorry, another question about reference letters...i'm still deciding who to ask...

are the questions for the referees the same each year? i checked the manual and it says that it's a bit of a hassle to enter a referee's name and then change it later on. Has anyone started this process, and seen the questions on the form?

This is my first time applying so I'm not sure what types of questions are on the referee form; hence, it is difficult to decide which reference might be better able to write the letter.

hello,

sorry, another question about reference letters...i'm still deciding who to ask...

are the questions for the referees the same each year? i checked the manual and it says that it's a bit of a hassle to enter a referee's name and then change it later on. Has anyone started this process, and seen the questions on the form?

This is my first time applying so I'm not sure what types of questions are on the referee form; hence, it is difficult to decide which reference might be better able to write the letter.

I'm unsure but they want the basic things: intellect, initiative, leadership, maturity, cooperation, problem solving, communication, ability to relate to others, etc. These are in the Confidential Assessment Form, and then there is the LOR. It really is not difficult to change a referee's name once you entered it.

The key is to ask a referee if he is ab le to give you a "strong" reference. If he/she cannot advocate for you in a strong and compelling manner, the reference is essentially worthless.

If you go to the McGill Med School website, you will find your way to see their Form for Referees.

For Rmorelan:

Why do you say that any extracurriculars not run through the school should go under 'other'? Does it say somewhere that extra-curriculars should be through/in some way related to the school? :confused: For example, I play in a beach volleyball league back home, and I would think it would fit better under EC (since it is one) than other? Even just recreational sports... No?

Personally, I actually find it harder to characterize some other things... e.g. shadowing -- probably fits best under other, but I dont want to not have the option of expanding... or first-aid/cpr certification, probably other, but is it an award/achievement? (i dont think so)

anyways, I think I'd put the portaging and such under extracurrics, but I could be wrong :)

btw, I just read the post over... my first paragraph could be taken as mean i guess, depending on the tone you imagine (if it seems sarcastic)... but Rmorelan, I'm actually wondering if it says/implies that somewhere, or if you have heard that is what schools want... thanks!:D

All my ECs, which I have done for many years, are unrelated to my university and I do not put them under 'other'. I have been required to prepare for and lead classes in one of my courses, and as part of fulfillment for a credit course, I devoted 120 hours of exercise rehab therapy to chronic seniors suffering from strokes, MS, etc. and I am considering putting this under 'other'. Any comments or suggestions?

I wouldn't put that under other, just due to the fact that you are probably going to want to say a bit more about it (I would guess)... I doubt any schools care what you categorize stuff as, especially stuff that isn't as definitive as, say, volunteering is... I don't see any reason at all they would care

What do you guys put as the date for awards? Do you put Sept-April of the year in which the marks were obtained? Or do you put Sept-April of the year in which the award is being held (ie. they year in which you get the money)? Or maybe August-August (same year) in which the award is actually awarded?

would anyone consider shadowing a doctor an EC? I find that might be pushing the definition of "extra-curricular" (although I guess technically, it means ANYTHING you do not part of school)... i really need the extra details that you don't get in other... otherwise you pretty much have to pick between mentioning the doc's name, the hospital, or the clinic/what you did:confused:... or would it be more volunteer than EC? what do you guys think...

I wouldn't put that under other, just due to the fact that you are probably going to want to say a bit more about it (I would guess)... I doubt any schools care what you categorize stuff as, especially stuff that isn't as definitive as, say, volunteering is... I don't see any reason at all they would care

Ultimately this is a main point - those schools which truly care about the sketch will read them all, regardless of whether it is in the EC or other category. More than anything it is probably important to be consistent on your application :)

Hey all,

Did a search but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. I am taking some continuing education classes at Fanshawe College here in London just for personal interest. Does that need to be included in Post Secondary Education and if so, that means I need to send a transcript from the college, right?

Thanks!

Hey all,

Did a search but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. I am taking some continuing education classes at Fanshawe College here in London just for personal interest. Does that need to be included in Post Secondary Education and if so, that means I need to send a transcript from the college, right?

Thanks!

Yes (10 char)

i'm just starting the sketch now...and i noticed that the description line is very short!

how do we describe EC's and stuff with a one line limit?

am i doing something wrong (sorry, first time applicant here..)

Yeah, the one line limit is just to give the name of the activity and your position (48 Characters).

Ex: "President; Society for Adequate Looking Males"

I can't remember exactly, but afterwards, there's a button you click to add a more detailed description.

This includes "Level of Education", "Hours", "Responsibilities", "Verifier" and other stuff. There's like a 150 character limit for "Responsibilities".

Archived