Premed 101 Forums

clubs

Hey, what is everyone's thoughts on the importance of clubs?

I never joined any clubs throughout university, I just wasn't too interested in them to be honest... while i know a lot of people join them genuinely out of interest, etc... i know a LOT of people join them just to put them on their app.... anyways, with regards to the leadership that exec positions in a club demonstrate, i have other stuff (coached highschool sports team for a few years, some tutoring, started a charity with friends, etc.)... i also did some stuff during the year (ie. a little tutoring, pick-up sports)... does it matter having no clubs? whether that would be showing that you aren't a leader / involved with stuff, or i guess that you are not well-rounded or whatever?

thoughts...?

Hey, what is everyone's thoughts on the importance of clubs?

I never joined any clubs throughout university, I just wasn't too interested in them to be honest... while i know a lot of people join them genuinely out of interest, etc... i know a LOT of people join them just to put them on their app.... anyways, with regards to the leadership that exec positions in a club demonstrate, i have other stuff (coached highschool sports team for a few years, some tutoring, started a charity with friends, etc.)... i also did some stuff during the year (ie. a little tutoring, pick-up sports)... does it matter having no clubs? whether that would be showing that you aren't a leader / involved with stuff, or i guess that you are not well-rounded or whatever?

thoughts...?

If you have all the other stuff, then don't worry about it. Only join and do things that you enjoy. Padding your resume is obvious and they won't be impressed with that.

although, aside from a couple things, i don't have much to list from throughout the schoolyear... not to say i'm not well-rounded and study all day, but there is less time and not much to do in hamilton... do they scrutinize over ECs being much more concentrated in the summer? (which i guess is just because there is more time and more stuff to do...)

although, aside from a couple things, i don't have much to list from throughout the schoolyear... not to say i'm not well-rounded and study all day, but there is less time and not much to do in hamilton... do they scrutinize over ECs being much more concentrated in the summer? (which i guess is just because there is more time and more stuff to do...)

They like full-course loads but they'll appreciate a hard-worker who spends his summers focusing on other aspects. Summer ECs should be fine.

speaking of full course loads :P do people get in having dropped a course at some point in university? i dropped a course second year (i fell behind, for no apparent reason), and then took the course in the following summer... HOWEVER, that year (the 9 schoolyear courses, and 1 summer course) I did manage a 4.0, and a 4.0 3rd year with a full course load... i'm hoping the grades will balance out the fact that i did drop a course? what do you think? (I am already taking the punishment of no weighting at U of T and the year not counting at Western)

speaking of full course loads :P do people get in having dropped a course at some point in university? i dropped a course second year (i fell behind, for no apparent reason), and then took the course in the following summer... HOWEVER, that year (the 9 schoolyear courses, and 1 summer course) I did manage a 4.0, and a 4.0 3rd year with a full course load... i'm hoping the grades will balance out the fact that i did drop a course? what do you think? (I am already taking the punishment of no weighting at U of T and the year not counting at Western)

You'll be fine.

I agree :) but make sure you can still graduate on time some how. Western, Toronto etc want that degree done on schedule for a few things. i would hate a single course blocking you somehow - not fun!

rmorelan is right. I had to get a waiver from my prof for the very last req. course I'll be taking (I will be taking 2 prereq alongside of it). If not, I'd have to take it next summer and most med schools wouldn't permit me to apply.

yea, no i'm pretty sure i'm good for prereq's... the only ones i don't have are english, so i guess i wont be applying out west or east, or usa

if i dont get in anywhere, i think im going ot take 2 english correspondance or summer school courses the summer after i graduate, so that i can apply to those schools (in addition to ontario again) the next year

yea, no i'm pretty sure i'm good for prereq's... the only ones i don't have are english, so i guess i wont be applying out west or east, or usa

if i dont get in anywhere, i think im going ot take 2 english correspondance or summer school courses the summer after i graduate, so that i can apply to those schools (in addition to ontario again) the next year

To clear I wasn't refer to prereqs, some schools want you to graduate completely prior to getting in. If you dropped a course I was worried that you won't actually graduate on time unless you pick it up somewhere. Toronto and Western come to mind I believe for this - two big schools you wouldn't want to miss out on :)

To clear I wasn't refer to prereqs, some schools want you to graduate completely prior to getting in. If you dropped a course I was worried that you won't actually graduate on time unless you pick it up somewhere. Toronto and Western come to mind I believe for this - two big schools you wouldn't want to miss out on :)

Yeah, prereq for graduation--not for the school.

Archived