Premed 101 Forums

Too late for Med. School?

I turn 22 in September. I was a full time student in University from Fall 2005 till Winter 2006, grades were pretty decent. I had a 3.5 GPA....and I was aiming to go to Med. School...but shortly after that in the summer of `06 iono what changed but when i went back to school in the Fall...I started to lose concentration, and my grades soon began to drop. The past 2 yrs, i`ve just ben driftin from here to there for schools, mostly doing part-time. And so GPA isn`t that well right now.

But after thinking this entire summer I think its time to really step back up to the plate and concentrate in what I really want in life....and i know for sure that I really want to become a doctor.

I am applyin to a different University in the Winter (hoping to start fresh and put everything behind me) hopefully get my degree in 3-4 yrs, by then i will probably be around 25 yrs old...is that too old?

My friend is in med school right now and she will finish her four yrs when she's around 27 yrs old? Whereas ill prob just be startin med school...but is it too late?

I know if I pushed myself and quit my slackin around ways and motivate myself I can get the grades, but the question now becomes is it too late...did my slackin off the past couple of yrs ruin my chance to get into med school?

thanks

There is no actual age restriction on admittance into medical school and people from a wide variety of backgrounds (including ages) apply and get into school all the time. The non-trad section on this forum has quite a number of examples of people doing or have done successful something similar to what you are suggesting. So no it is not too late :)

I turn 22 in September. I was a full time student in University from Fall 2005 till Winter 2006, grades were pretty decent. I had a 3.5 GPA....and I was aiming to go to Med. School...but shortly after that in the summer of `06 iono what changed but when i went back to school in the Fall...I started to lose concentration, and my grades soon began to drop. The past 2 yrs, i`ve just ben driftin from here to there for schools, mostly doing part-time. And so GPA isn`t that well right now.

But after thinking this entire summer I think its time to really step back up to the plate and concentrate in what I really want in life....and i know for sure that I really want to become a doctor.

I am applyin to a different University in the Winter (hoping to start fresh and put everything behind me) hopefully get my degree in 3-4 yrs, by then i will probably be around 25 yrs old...is that too old?

My friend is in med school right now and she will finish her four yrs when she's around 27 yrs old? Whereas ill prob just be startin med school...but is it too late?

I know if I pushed myself and quit my slackin around ways and motivate myself I can get the grades, but the question now becomes is it too late...did my slackin off the past couple of yrs ruin my chance to get into med school?

thanks

We all travel different roads to reach our destination, sometimes the same destination, like med school. In a sense, we each travel on our own and with our own unique baggage. The fact that one finds oneself earlier than another is totally irrelevant, and we all take our own detours in life, which adds to life experience and maturity. So, if you truly think you know what you want, go for it. Age is just a number and you are far younger than the non-trads who will become physicians.

I agree 100% with this post .

We all travel different roads to reach our destination, sometimes the same destination, like med school. In a sense, we each travel on our own and with our own unique baggage. The fact that one finds oneself earlier than another is totally irrelevant, and we all take our own detours in life, which adds to life experience and maturity. So, if you truly think you know what you want, go for it. Age is just a number and you are far younger than the non-trads who will become physicians.

I turned 29 this year. Always (ie. since age 12) wanted to go to med school. Didn't get in after graduating at 22. Beat myself up over it. Reconsidered that maybe it wasn't for me. Had hellish grad school experience. Same experience provided me with an epiphany. Started reapplying last year with new resolve and enthusiasm.

Your mileage will vary, but just like they say in relationships 'The heart knows what the heart wants'...deep down you'll figure out what you really want and determine how to achieve it with what you've got.

You are only *too* old if you think you are too old.

Good luck!

I turned 29 this year. Always (ie. since age 12) wanted to go to med school. Didn't get in after graduating at 22. Beat myself up over it. Reconsidered that maybe it wasn't for me. Had hellish grad school experience. Same experience provided me with an epiphany. Started reapplying last year with new resolve and enthusiasm.

lostlamb, you sure are not lost. The detours or our not accomplishing our goals within our original timeframe make us stronger. The expression that we learn more from our failures than our successes is so true. It took me two years of poor grades in Cegep to find myself and I realize that what I went through was a blessing that made me more focused, more determined and a far better student, one who now knows how to go after what she wants. If it takes me 10 years of applying year after year, I am ready for this possibility and shall not be deterred. Good luck to us all, as luck very much plays its role.

thanks

You are so young and have loads of time ahead of you!

As noted, read through this non-trad part of the forum. You will likely find much hope and inspiration.

Plus, if you have any questions, we're here to help.

May all your dreams come true!

Haly

The fact that you could be 27 years old when you enter medicine should no restrain you from pursuing your dreams. However, gaining admission to meds is not a simple matter. Less than half of those entering medical school actually end up with a smooth entrance into medical school. Yes, you should work towards gaining admissions in the shortest period of time. But you should also be prepared for the commitment that you will need to get there, the possibility that your acceptance will delayed a few years due to set backs in GPA, ECs, references, etc, and the possibility that things may just not work out and what your backups will be [and will you be satisfied with those]. Just some things to sit down and think about.

I'm 25 (26 in October), have two toddlers, and am finishing my undergrad this upcoming spring. I have just completed my first round of medical school applications and will be completing another round the next year, and the next year, and the next...until I get into medical school. Many people don't matriculate until they are in their mid-20s...either due to lack of discernment, maturity, or other commitments.

It's far from a hindrance--in fact, it can work as a strength in your application. It shows your maturity and dedication.

I agree 100% with this post .

Your mileage will vary, but just like they say in relationships 'The heart knows what the heart wants'...deep down you'll figure out what you really want and determine how to achieve it with what you've got.

You are only *too* old if you think you are too old.

Good luck!

Can't wait to read your "acceptance" post when it comes.

Hey!

This is my first post on this site by the way! =)

I am currently 22 as well. When I first started university I thought of becoming a doc as well, I started off with a sciences, then decided to transfer into nursing. Shortly thereafter I started to think in a way that you're thinking right now 'I am too old for medschool'. Even going into university, I was always planning my courses and such to graduate earlier than everyone else. I also really want to have kids and a family at not too old of an age so I thought I had lost my chance and my ambitions have left me for good.

I just graduated with my BScN in April 2009. I have been working as an RN since May 4th and and since May 4th i have been dying to become a doctor! I have never wanted anything else more in my life!!! I am so envious seeing MSI's and Residents, not because they are doing what I am not. But it is because I can STILL do it, yet there I was, given it all up for a stupid reason of age. I feel that I could be happy as a nurse, but my heart will not be at peace until I am a doctor. I will apply year after year after year after year and WILL be a doc. What is really odd is that I have not thought about my age vs. how long med school is and others' ages, for the first time! I don't know, maybe I matured :s

Also, 2 good points to bring up (they really motivate me). Number one is doctors moving here from other countries. Two of my friends' parents were doctors back in their countries, when they came here in their mid 40's they still went in for it, even though they were older than any other students/residents and even though their pride may have suffered and they had a relatively fair excuse to possibly give up (new country, language, kids to feed, etc.) Number two - my mom graduated as an RN with mostly the 20 year old local Canadians who had language at their advantage (we're immigrants) when she was 48 and had no previous medical/nursing background

Nothing matters when you really want something. Anyways, here's my first post on this thing, I'm usually not this talkative =) :cool:

Archived