Premed 101 Forums

Hi there everyone, what do you wear for a medical school interview (girls)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you can't have actual regular people in advertising you know :)

Yeah, I know. But at least some ads / magazines do attempt to use 'plus-size' models for the 'plus-size' products. The "spanx" website is ridiculous.

Are you looking to get yourself a pair for the first day of school? ;)

Oh heavens no...anyone watch America's Next Top Model? I nearly went through the roof when they told this one girl that she had gained a lot of weight and it wasn't looking good for her. Is that even allowed?

I don't own a TV, hehe!

Sounds like I'm really missing out!

:D

I looked up their website too...can you breathe in them? They look very uncomfortable.

It's just like tight pantyhose. And really, you get used to any sort of clothing if you wear it on a regular basis. I can go all day in high heels, a suit, ambulance uniform, whatever, if you wear something often enough, it stops bothering you.

Corsets, for one, are a bit rough, but just think that 19th century women wore them daily and did just fine.

It's just like tight pantyhose. And really, you get used to any sort of clothing if you wear it on a regular basis. I can go all day in high heels, a suit, ambulance uniform, whatever, if you wear something often enough, it stops bothering you.

Corsets, for one, are a bit rough, but just think that 19th century women wore them daily and did just fine.

I can't wear heals--flat feet. I wore a corset for my wedding but it wasn't restricting...it was falling off of me. Lol.

Tight pantyhose? Regular pantyhose are bad enough. You are really not selling us on this, Joch :P

Corsets and pencil skirts….all of the same breed….clothing that makes it impossible for any woman to move around, haha!

Tight pantyhose? Regular pantyhose are bad enough. You are really not selling us on this, Joch :P

Corsets and pencil skirts….all of the same breed….clothing that makes it impossible for any woman to move around, haha!

Freedom! Freedom!

I can't wear stuff that's gonna make me fed up and start picking and scratching areas that one really shouldn't in public--granny panties whenever you don't need to be flaunting your underwear (okay, I can see the problem with that statement...but honestly...I'm not wearing stuff that's gonna suck to me!)

Well, like I said, you get used to it. I have no problem wearing high heels every day, for example, but there are other women who won't last an hour.

My only beef with pantyhose is how fragile/expensive they are. It's not hard to spend $100 on them on a monthly basis. I think it costs women about 10x more to look "right" compared to men, lol.

My only beef with pantyhose is how fragile/expensive they are. It's not hard to spend $100 on them on a monthly basis. I think it costs women about 10x more to look "right" compared to men, lol.

Indeed!

I made a deal with the devil and bought two pairs of pantyhose at Walmart :eek: for the wedding I'm going to. At least it's going to be a very fun wedding!

Ok now that I have an interview I can actually start thinking of what I'll wear. I've heard different things about pantyhose but I guess you girls think it's ok to go without? I don't have any marks or veins or super white legs so would it be inappropriate to wear a skirt-suit and skip the hose? I don't like the look of pantyhose but I don't want to be the only one without. :confused:

personally, i think hose looks really outdated. not that the adcom is judging your ability to keep up with current fashion trends AND remove an appendix, but i think wearing hose contributes to an overall picture of a little kid trying to look like a grownup.

that said, if you're traveling to a different town for the interview, pack hose with you. if you shave your legs (and while personally i wouldn't care, i think other people do [sadly] so you probably should), you'll likely shave that morning, and you never know if you'll accidentally cut yourself, or get a big ugly bruise, and will need to have your legs covered.

so, no, it's not inappropriate, but if you're concerned, avoid the whole issue and wear pants. frankly, i think pant suits (can) look much more professional, and by having pants, you (a) don't have to worry about shoes as much, and (B) can get away with a more 'feminine' and flattering top, or having simple jewelry (where men would have a tie to tie the outfit together).

personally, i think hose looks really outdated. not that the adcom is judging your ability to keep up with current fashion trends AND remove an appendix, but i think wearing hose contributes to an overall picture of a little kid trying to look like a grownup.

that said, if you're traveling to a different town for the interview, pack hose with you. if you shave your legs (and while personally i wouldn't care, i think other people do [sadly] so you probably should), you'll likely shave that morning, and you never know if you'll accidentally cut yourself, or get a big ugly bruise, and will need to have your legs covered.

so, no, it's not inappropriate, but if you're concerned, avoid the whole issue and wear pants. frankly, i think pant suits (can) look much more professional, and by having pants, you (a) don't have to worry about shoes as much, and (B) can get away with a more 'feminine' and flattering top, or having simple jewelry (where men would have a tie to tie the outfit together).

I agree, hose do look outdated.

Pants would definitely be less trouble but I've read many times that some of the more conservative, old school adcom prefer to see women wearing skirts. :confused:

I guess once I go shopping I'll decide on the pants vs skirt issue based on what I can find. Just happy to hear that it won't be inappropriate to skip the hose. Thanks for the advice!

I wore a skirt to my interview but was definitely in the minority. I doubt they took all the girls in skirts, and that the ones who wore pants didn't get in. I think if you're tastefully and modestly dressed, it won't matter what you're wearing.

That means: Don't wear things that are low cut or extremely tight. Don't wear anything too flashy. Don't wear a bag that has some brand name plastered all over it (I would have thought these were obvious, but at one of my interviews there was a girl wearing a mini skirt, low cut top, and LV bag. I can't say for sure, but I doubt she got in).

My outfit was a black skirt, grey tweed blazer, natural coloured stockings, 3 inch (I can afford to, as I'm not tall) patent leather pumps (black) and pearls. My shoulder-length hair was blow-dried and down.

I doubt they took all the girls in skirts, and that the ones who wore pants didn't get in.

I think that's pretty obvious but I suppose if a certain "look" gives the odd adcom a better impression, I'm willing to consider that option....

lol at the poor girl who wore that outfit.... what the hell was she thinking?:eek:

a) While I despise hoses and generally agree that they suck, you should be able to buy the appropriate colour and wear them without anyone knowing you're wearing any--they can only tell if you haven't matched up your skin tone properly. It's not so much as looking like a kid playing dress up but an adult playing senior.

B) I don't think covering up bruises is a big deal. If you've bumped into the corner of the bed...oh well.

c) Pants suits and skirts/dresses should be chosen to look professional--but it doesn't matter which you wear (the wonderful world of being a woman is the ability to mix & match dozens of professional possibilities). I'll be deciding depending upon how cold it is outside--I have a hard time adjusting to temperatures and tend to be a coward. I have a lovely new knee-length dress blazer that I will be wearing with either wide-legged pants or a knee-length skirt. The biggest thing is to sit in front of a mirror and test all the positions you will be in to make sure you don't flash the adcom.

d) Don't try a new hair cut a few days before hand...it'll be noticeable if you are uncomfortable or unused to a shorter style. And heavens--risk being wind-swept rather than killing an allergic adcom member with stinky hairspray.

I think that's pretty obvious but I suppose if a certain "look" gives the odd adcom a better impression, I'm willing to consider that option....

lol at the poor girl who wore that outfit.... what the hell was she thinking?:eek:

I keep telling everyone...we should stage it so that we all show up in full-body stockings.

She also had lonnnng hair that was down and a funny voice that sounded a bit like it was broken.

a) While I despise hoses and generally agree that they suck, you should be able to buy the appropriate colour and wear them without anyone knowing you're wearing any--they can only tell if you haven't matched up your skin tone properly. It's not so much as looking like a kid playing dress up but an adult playing senior.

B) I don't think covering up bruises is a big deal. If you've bumped into the corner of the bed...oh well.

c) Pants suits and skirts/dresses should be chosen to look professional--but it doesn't matter which you wear (the wonderful world of being a woman is the ability to mix & match dozens of professional possibilities). I'll be deciding depending upon how cold it is outside--I have a hard time adjusting to temperatures and tend to be a coward. I have a lovely new knee-length dress blazer that I will be wearing with either wide-legged pants or a knee-length skirt. The biggest thing is to sit in front of a mirror and test all the positions you will be in to make sure you don't flash the adcom.

d) Don't try a new hair cut a few days before hand...it'll be noticeable if you are uncomfortable or unused to a shorter style. And heavens--risk being wind-swept rather than killing an allergic adcom member with stinky hairspray.

If you're wearing a skirt, don't forget the important test- it shouldn't be revealing when you sit.

Archived