Premed 101 Forums

Hi there everyone, what do you wear for a medical school interview (girls)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For shoes, they should be completely closed right? No tiny little peep toe I'm guessing? :( I only have heels with a bit of toe exposure so I guess I'll need to go buy some ugly, clunky black ones. haha

peep toe heels are in style. I wouldnt stress about wearing them as long as the shoe is professional, clean, polished, and not casual. However...remember if your toes are going to show and you're wearing polish, make sure you're wearing a fresh unchipped coat--chipped polish looks really sloppy.

I bought fun but conservative heeled shoes for my interviews, but I saw some girls with really high and flashy ones--worse, they didn't look like they were comfortable. The most important thing is that the shoes are clean, super comfy, and you can walk properly in them.

good luck!

:D

• 5 weeks later...

I need help! I'm losing hope here girls.... Ok so my first interview is next week and I can't find a suit! I've tried on suits at Jacob (bought one there but just tried it on and it's def not right) and banana republic. Love their suit styles and materials but nothing fits. I looked in some other stores (H & M for example, but I don't love the quality) I need a size 4 for a snug fit at the waist of the jackets, but I'm 5'8 so all the sleeves are too short! Anyone have a similar body type, which stores should I hit up this weekend? Pretty soon I'll throw in the towel, stick to my Jacob suit and scrunch up the sleeves up my forearms. :mad:

Have you tried Club Monaco, Bananna Republic, RW Com. The Bay..has some designer suits..(not Gucci lol) and are reasonably priced....you could buy your shirt at another store for a more up-to-date look..Anthropologie has great shirts and has a great sale rack in the back..Toronto, Yorkville Area.

Also Holt Renfew Last Call...they often have 60% ..it is outside of GTA..and they have outlet stores at that mall...It is a hit and miss though at Holt Renfew last call.

Oops, I see that you have tried Bananna Republic...You can call some of the consignment stores and see if they have something in your size...maybe they will be kind enough to email you a picture as most are small shops that the owner works at..

If you cannot find a jacket...how about a conservative sweater over your top that matches your pants..they have alot at Jacob now.

Have you tried Club Monaco, Bananna Republic, RW Com. The Bay..has some designer suits..(not Gucci lol) and are reasonably priced....you could buy your shirt at another store for a more up-to-date look..Anthropologie has great shirts and has a great sale rack in the back..Toronto, Yorkville Area.

Also Holt Renfew Last Call...they often have 60% ..it is outside of GTA..and they have outlet stores at that mall...It is a hit and miss though at Holt Renfew last call.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Club Monaco! Love that store... Guess I'll be heading to Mississauga for a day instead of prepping for my interview. :( Will also look up Holt Renfrew and see where it is. Banana apparently makes suits for munchkins (only kidding, I'm just bitter that they let me down) so they're out.

Thanks for the help terryann, getting a little stressed with my last-minute fashion crisis. :P

I need help! I'm losing hope here girls.... Ok so my first interview is next week and I can't find a suit! I've tried on suits at Jacob (bought one there but just tried it on and it's def not right) and banana republic. Love their suit styles and materials but nothing fits. I looked in some other stores (H & M for example, but I don't love the quality) I need a size 4 for a snug fit at the waist of the jackets, but I'm 5'8 so all the sleeves are too short! Anyone have a similar body type, which stores should I hit up this weekend? Pretty soon I'll throw in the towel, stick to my Jacob suit and scrunch up the sleeves up my forearms. :mad:

Same here! I need a size 4p but my leg inseam is too long for that size. I have to buy 6p and have it tailored.

I bought a knee-length blazer at Eclipse that I'll be using with a mix of a turtlenecked sweater (winter-time...I'm cold often) and pinstripe pants if I get any interviews--lol.

You should wear whatever you buy a few times beforehand to make sure you don't look too stiff in it.

Do you girls think it would be ok to turn the sleeves into a 3/4 sleeve (perhaps scrunching them is a little too stylish for old adcom)? I'll try to find something that works this weekend, but if I get stuck I guess I could try the 3/4 if it's not inappropriate for whatever reason....

I'm the same size as you (like exactly!) and I found an great fitting suit at Fairweather. However, this was a few months ago and they had them all on steep sale to clear stock for this season's suits. Although, I think they have suits on sale now as well, if I'm thinking of the right store. Anyways, maybe you could check them out?

I'm the same size as you (like exactly!) and I found an great fitting suit at Fairweather. However, this was a few months ago and they had them all on steep sale to clear stock for this season's suits. Although, I think they have suits on sale now as well, if I'm thinking of the right store. Anyways, maybe you could check them out?

Thanks for the tip. Will add Fairweather to my list. Even if they don't have a sale, it's good to know that they make clothes that fit us! :)

Cnussey, worst case scenario I'll do a 3/4 sleeve. If it's good enough for Sarah Palin, it's good enough for me! :D

Thanks for the tip. Will add Fairweather to my list. Even if they don't have a sale, it's good to know that they make clothes to fit us! :)

Cnussey, worst case scenario I'll do a 3/4 sleeve. If it's good enough for Sarah Palin, it's good enough for me! :D

Lol--wrong person to emulate, but it does look good! There are a lot of options for females--don't fret too much about it. You just need to feel comfortable and look professional.

Lol--wrong person to emulate, but it does look good! There are a lot of options for females--don't fret too much about it. You just need to feel comfortable and look professional.

Oh, damn. So I guess I shouldn't wink at my interviewers after everything I say? :confused:

Good luck, Rach! You are going to do awesome.

In terms of your clothing dilemma; oh dear, I feel your pain. I am a tiny bit taller than you and I never have much luck shopping. Plus, malls seem to remind me of a prison, except that jails tend to have more windows, haha! When in doubt, take a friend that loves shopping and get them to pick out your outfit. Or, dig out something you already own and feel comfortable in.

Make sure you are free-associating on 'why medical school', while you are having these clothing dilemmas. ;)

Ok now that I have an interview I can actually start thinking of what I'll wear. I've heard different things about pantyhose but I guess you girls think it's ok to go without? I don't have any marks or veins or super white legs so would it be inappropriate to wear a skirt-suit and skip the hose? I don't like the look of pantyhose but I don't want to be the only one without. :confused:

I've read so many posts where the opinion is that pantyhose are old fashioned, blah, blah. But in my opinion, they should be viewed as make up for the legs.

I work in the financial district in Toronto and trust me when I say that most of the high powered female executives wear pantyhose with their skirt suits. But from what I can see, they wear high quality expensive brands (what you pay for, is what you get). All of them are concerned about appearances. And, from a male perspective, I think they look good.

Unless you have "perfect" legs, I would suggest you go the side of caution and shell out $20 (or what ever an expensive pair costs) and look professional. First impressions count and the decision makers are HUMAN and easily influenced. My 2 cents says that if you have the right quality, colour etc, then the female decision makers will be neutral and you're likely to win over the men. :P

Imagine the guys debating about wearing a tie with their suit? Complaining that it's old fashioned? Too uncomfortable? You've got to suffer for beauty and fashion.

Archived