Premed 101 Forums

Osmas Ip/oop

How does OSMAS determine one's geographic status? Is it different for every school?

I was born in Ontario and lived there for three years before my family moved to British Columbia. I completed elementary school and high school in B.C., and am currently at UBC for university.

Would I be considered IP or OOP?

Thanks!

How does OSMAS determine one's geographic status? Is it different for every school?

I was born in Ontario and lived there for three years before my family moved to British Columbia. I completed elementary school and high school in B.C., and am currently at UBC for university.

Would I be considered IP or OOP?

Thanks!

What schools are you applying to?

Some ON schools don't care about IP/OOP status.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to find out if I have Ontario resident status.

I have not decided which Ontario schools to apply to yet. Which of them do not care about IP/OOP status?

From the perspective of the universities here though leaving the province for university may not affect your status at all - which could be to your advantage! Western uses high school location, I am not really super sure about Ottawa:

# How will you determine my residency status?

Residency is synonym to the permanent address declared on the application, confirmed by two years of residency at this address. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to confirm residency with activities shown on the curriculum vitae.

..... but most people still list their permanent address as not the one they are away for school at, and some of your activities would suggest you lived in Ontario most of your life

and for McMaster:

To qualify for (1) above, an applicant must:

a. be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident by

October 1, 2009; and

b. have resided in Ontario for at least three years,

since the age of 14, by the date of possible

entry to the program.

and you likely lived in Ontario for those three years so that probably makes you IP for that school.

Anyway, you are likely more IP than OOP for the Ontario schools as a result of all of this :)

Archived