Premed 101 Forums

B. Ed Question

swank

I am currently working on completing my B. Sc. I expect my final cGPA to finish somewhere in the 3.3-3.7 range (right now it's at about a 3.65). However, I'm thinking about getting a B. Ed. Will med schools include my B. Ed. marks in my cGPA?

How do med schools deal with "pass or fail" classes, such as the praticums I would have to take?

Thanks.

I am currently working on completing my B. Sc. I expect my final cGPA to finish somewhere in the 3.3-3.7 range (right now it's at about a 3.65). However, I'm thinking about getting a B. Ed. Will med schools include my B. Ed. marks in my cGPA?

How do med schools deal with "pass or fail" classes, such as the praticums I would have to take?

Thanks.

Generally in Ontario they don't consider BEd programs that are the typical one year extension on the end of a degree.:

"The following

courses of study are not normally included in the

OMSAS GPA: naturopathic and chiropractic medicine,

consecutive Bachelor of Education programs, college

courses (even if transfer credit is granted), challenge for

credit courses, diploma or certificate programs, graduate

courses, and undergraduate courses taken as part of a

graduate program."

Generally in Ontario they don't consider BEd programs that are the typical one year extension on the end of a degree.:

"The following

graduate program."

Mine would be a two year (4 semester, *60 credit), after degree program. Would this count as a "consecutive" program?

"The following

graduate program."

WOAH. I'm considering going the grad route doing a course-based program and i wasn't aware of this. So unless I submit a seperate grad application (e.g. U of T), my grad marks won't count?

I'd really like to go to Western for med b/c I've heard great things about the school but I know they don't have a seperate application stream for grad school...does this mean they won't see my grad marks at all?

At most places they don't look at Grad marks - the problem is that is really easy to get comparatively very high grades in a grad course. Basically everyone gets an A. Also grad grades and UG grades never mix, so if your UG GPA is too low a course work masters won't help.

Western is one of those schools that will not consider your grad marks.

Still a masters can be very helpful in other ways, it just doesn't replacement (in general) the UG GPA requirements.

"The following

graduate program."

WOAH. I'm considering going the grad route doing a course-based program and i wasn't aware of this. So unless I submit a seperate grad application (e.g. U of T), my grad marks won't count?

I'd really like to go to Western for med b/c I've heard great things about the school but I know they don't have a seperate application stream for grad school...does this mean they won't see my grad marks at all?

Mine would be a two year (4 semester, *60 credit), after degree program. Would this count as a "consecutive" program?

Hey there,

What province are you planning to do your BEd in? Indeed, it is the Ontario BEd consecutive programs that OMSAS outlines as generally not counting towards GPA calculations.

Other provinces offer two-year BEd programs. I remember Renin telling me about the one she did in Manitoba (and it counted). So, it'll depend on the province and the program.

Hope that helps!

Hey there,

What province are you planning to do your BEd in? Indeed, it is the Ontario BEd consecutive programs that OMSAS outlines as generally not counting towards GPA calculations.

Other provinces offer two-year BEd programs. I remember Renin telling me about the one she did in Manitoba (and it counted). So, it'll depend on the province and the program.

Hope that helps!

I'm thinking either Alberta (two-year, four semester) or SFU (one-year, three semester).

I don't think the SFU one will count, but I'm hoping the Alberta one will. I e-mailed UBC, Alberta, Calgary, Queen's, and Ottawa, and I'll repost what they say in case someone stumbles across this thread with a similar question.

Archived