Premed 101 Forums

OOP rally!!!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start off by saying that I don't know anything officially about the Dal OOM process beyond what's available on their website but I find it hard to believe that they use the same grading scheme they use for the in-Maritime applicants with the MCAT, but starting at 30 rather than 24.

I don't see why they would state in the FAQ, that for OOM applicants, the academic standards are already set high, and that it is a product of your sketch and essay that will determine whether or not you get an interview, if they were awarding 30's on the MCAT 0... and 40's... 10.

If OOM's were assessed the same way IM's were, there would be no reason to even specifically refer to our pool in the FAQ beyond saying it's the same as the IM pool however, much more competitive.

Mind you, I don't think the FAQ section is brand new by any means, and old policies may have changed.

If I had to guess, our interviews are determined solely on our sketch and essay, and our final OOM ranking list is a product of those plus the interview.

If GPA, and MCAT are used in ranking, the role is minimal.

Mind you, I make these claims exercising only common sense. I have absolutely no proof of these ideas and could potentially be dead wrong.

Okay.... So... this is how it's done. NO MMI isn't 100% for OOP. The MCAT is scored and is not just a cut-off.

For OOP interviews everything is considered, i.e. everything except the interview is scored and a ranked list is made and the top 60-65 applicants on that list are invited for an interview. And then post interview the MMI score is added in and there is a new ranked list created based on the final scores and the first 9 people are offered spots and then the wait-list is made from the others (I'm not sure how many are put on the waitlist).

What I mean by everything is.... MCAT, supplemental and GPA. The reason why it takes so long to get interview notices out to the OOP students is because the supplementals all need to be read and scored and there are A LOT of OOP applications that meet criteria academically. As for the scoring of the MCAT, it is done as people have said, 24 = 2/10 and it goes up by 1 point for each additional point of the MCAT until 10. So everything over 32 is scored as 10. Although the MCAT minimum for OOP is 30 this part is just a cut-off the scoring isn't different for this group (to my knowledge). So most people should have high marks in this section. Academically most OOP people will be very similar being that the minimum GPA is 3.7 and the highest is 4.0 so there won't be much variation in points there. The biggest differences will come on supplemental and the MMI.

I hope I have explained this sufficiently and that this has helped. Try to relax a bit. There's no point in stressing.

Cheers!

it seems strange to have a 30 cutoff but 32 top score

oh well, my 34 isn't complaining.

LOL, grats :). I'm IP, and I'm sitting pretty on a 31S (R,S,or T gets a bonus mark in Dal's scoring system).

Also, you can rest 100% sure that what Doc2B says is correct. I know a thing or 2 about Dal's admissions process, but Doc2B is the man who knows it all.

Doc2B, any idea why the lowest score is assigned a value of 2/10? That seems to limit the spread of scores you can give a bit.

I'm not sure why it's started at 2. I think it's arbitrary. And I'm pretty sure they're not doing the bonus points for R, S or T anymore. It might seem strange that cut-off is a 30 for OOP and the scoring stops at 32 but if you think about it where the IP candidates have a cut-off of 24 it makes sense. They can't have 2 different scoring systems, but because there would just be way too many people to consider they have to make higher cut-offs for OOPs, otherwise the number of essays they would have to read would be ridiculous. And it really doesn't make much difference anyway. For OOP to apply those points as I said before are somewhat irrelevant the main thing is the supplemental and MMI. We already know that the OOP candidates have good grades and can do well on the MCAT otherwise they wouldn't have mad the cut-offs.

Hmm, I'm getting this message:

"P_ValLogin OTHERS Exception - SQLCODE=100 ORA-01403: no data found

Sorry, the use of this form is currently available to only Dalhousie students and employees."

So are you guys dal students? (supafield and star?) Oh well...mine's probably unchanged as well.

p.s. I got my passport photo taken for mac, it looks horrible! hahaha. I hope they're not like "Ewww noo! What's up with her?" I'm going to smile in the next one for sure. Another 27 dollars. Uncool. lol.

Hmm, I'm getting this message:

"P_ValLogin OTHERS Exception - SQLCODE=100 ORA-01403: no data found

Sorry, the use of this form is currently available to only Dalhousie students and employees."

So are you guys dal students? (supafield and star?) Oh well...mine's probably unchanged as well.

p.s. I got my passport photo taken for mac, it looks horrible! hahaha. I hope they're not like "Ewww noo! What's up with her?" I'm going to smile in the next one for sure. Another 27 dollars. Uncool. lol.

Just a heads up, you're getting ripped off on the photo!

Hit up Costco/Walmart.

Nope, did all my schooling at McGill.

Are you sure you're trying to log into the right website? (not making fun of you....I made the same mistake a few days ago until I realized I was trying to log into the wrong system lol)

https://dalonline.dal.ca/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

Oh my bad :o Your link works. I must've done something goofy.

Don't worry about it too much, orange. Once you submit your app in November, the Dal system isn't really used for anything else. They notify you of interview invites via email, and then decisions come out via snail mail.

Thanks w. Good to know! :)

Just a heads up, you're getting ripped off on the photo!

Hit up Costco/Walmart.

Lol, yeah 27 dollars is a little steep eh? I'll def give walmart a try next time. Thanks!

Good luck with the wait all you OOPs! Hopefully there's some good news in our inbox!

Archived