Premed 101 Forums

The Official "Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics" Thread

NewfieMike

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My sister is making so much fun of the current Russian skater, "they're in olympics how? by default? this isn't cirque de soleil!" :eek: Someone's drinking haterade!

Haha... that's awesome

Ugh... I really hate watching women's skating. Not enough pizzazz in most of the performances. There's a few that are really good. Joannie's is good. Hopefully she'll be able to pull off a good skate.

Joannie's on warm up now! First after the warm up.

Go Joannie!

Yeah I was takling about the other Japanese girl, I dunno why her skate was higher. Oh well, I guess I know too little about figure skating.

Oooo, she did have an amazing skate... but I think the Korean girl's skate was pretty incredible. Her leaps were so high and she was dancing with such confidence. It was crazy. I think the gold is her medal to lose.

Yu Na Kim (Korea) has been in the 'untouchable' category all season and has been building steadily towards these Olympics.

Mao Asada (currently 2nd, from Japan) has not been skating as strongly and is ahead of Jo mostly because of her triple axel. I do not think that Mao has a comparable long program, while Joannie's is excellent.

The onus is on Joannie to keep it together for the long and skate clean again. She hasn't done it all season with these programs, but now she's halfway there.

Go Canada Go! <3<3<3 Joannie!!!! She really showed what she was made of tonight.

Yu Na Kim (Korea) has been in the 'untouchable' category all season and has been building steadily towards these Olympics.

Mao Asada (currently 2nd, from Japan) has not been skating as strongly and is ahead of Jo mostly because of her triple axel. I do not think that Mao has a comparable long program, while Joannie's is excellent.

The onus is on Joannie to keep it together for the long and skate clean again. She hasn't done it all season with these programs, but now she's halfway there.

Go Canada Go! <3<3<3 Joannie!!!! She really showed what she was made of tonight.

Joannie is a toughie. She was absolutely amazing because you're right, she hasn't skated these programs clean all season so we don't even know what kind of marks she could get when she does. Granted, Yu-Na Kim has to fall, break a leg and not continue in order to lose. You just can't look away when she's skating.

Joannie has SUCH a good chance to medal (especially 1,2,3 are a good margin ahead that they would need to screw up to not medal). Hopefully it's silver since Mao Asada hasn't been having a good season either.

How come Kim's coach is Canadian? Why wouldn't he want to coach Canadian skaters? Kinda weird....

I think it's a combo of coach reputation matching skater potential (at least at this level) plus what the coach can teach the skater. You'll find that there's a lot of cross nationality coach-skater relationships.

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir's coaches are Russian, Mao Asada's coach is Russian, Johny Weir's coach is Russian (notice a pattern? lol) But then if you look at the top Men's coaches: Plushenko's, Takahashi and Lysacek's coaches are all of their own nationalities.

Da, Da Canada!

Nyet, Nyet Soviet!

I'm nervous and my fingers are crossed.

I do like the match-up though. The Russians are allll fire power. Their defense is offensive, their top two lines are nearly all snipers.

The first goal in this game is huuuuuuge. Russia is the type of team that once they overcome static friction (haha) they will roll. If our defense can hold in the beginning, and we can get on the board early, I think we can roll. I also feel if Russia scores 1 or 2 quickly, the game might be over in the first period.

My prediction is Canada always, but I don't think the game will be close. Whatever team wins will win by a few is my guess. (5-2 is my final score prediction).

With that prediction made however, I'm sure it'll end up being a 2-1 decision in a shootout lol.

Archived