Premed 101 Forums

Non-Trad MCATs!

Hey!

Im just wondering how many of you non-trads are looking to write the MCAT! I re-realized/decided on med earlier in the fall and the first major hurdle appears to be rocking this ghastly standardized test. Its been over five years since i learned/forgot a lot of these sciences!

Anyone else in this boat? Im the only person I know trying to re-relearn a good portion of undergrad in a few months.

I am in the same situation...it has been eons since I took those courses. I am already certain I will have to delay my writing date--life has gotten in the way!

It is doable, though! I am sure you will be fine. It will help significantly if you have been involved in science/math-related activities in the last while (i.e. grad studies, work, etc).

I wrote the MCAT the first time in 2001 (graduate in 2003) and then had it expire on me, so I wrote it again in 2008. The only prep I did was the Princeton Review book and all the AAMC practice tests and it worked out well for me. My only regret was that I didn't put in the time on learning how to do the WS really well, but overall I'm pretty happy with a 36O.

Its corny, but its pretty nice to hear from other people doing the same! Im in an MSc program, so ill be ok on some things. I havent been out everything completely. I was just amazed the other week at how much I had forgotten of general chem, physics, and even some of the bio 101 type stuff.

Im hoping to defend in december so Im fitting my studying in where i can in the evenings and weekends. Summer is a pretty busy time for me the lab actually. Originally, I was thinking of a June writing date (try once, do it again if need be) but will probably get pushed back now. Itll be a long haul with the prep but its definately "do it right the first time" now. So early/mid july? We'll see.

Archived