Premed 101 Forums

OSAP Probation?

I was put on OSAP academic probation in 2009 (2008/2009 academic year) because I dropped my courses below 60% course load due to personal reasons. This was a year after I had finished my Bachelor's degree so I was not too much concerned with becoming part time, however of course OSAP had issues with it and I had legitimate reasons. I sent them a letter explaining my situation and I was allowed to take OSAP again for 2009/2010 as I had decided to complete a second degree.

Now I've applied for OSAP for med school and I saw in the "status check" today that I need to send in a letter once again explaining why was I put on probation. I was never put on probation in 2009/2010 academic year ! So is this referring to the one in early 2009?

My concern is that I do not want my med school's financial aid office to know that I have been put on "academic probation" in past by OSAP. This would create a negative image and probably revoke my acceptance. It should be kept in mind that this was not University of Toronto probation. It was OSAP probation and because I dropped course load below 60%, not because I failed courses.

What should I do? The only way to stop the financial aid office from knowing this is not to take OSAP now .... since I wont have to send in "supporting documents" anymore. Anyone had this experience before?

My concern is that I do not want my med school's financial aid office to know that I have been put on "academic probation" in past by OSAP. This would create a negative image and probably revoke my acceptance. It should be kept in mind that this was not University of Toronto probation. It was OSAP probation and because I dropped course load below 60%, not because I failed courses.

Yeah... I think you're being paranoid. What happened to you with OSAP is not at all the same as being put on real academic probation (where you are at risk of being kicked out of your school for poor academic performance).

In my opinion, there is absolutely no way you could get kicked out of med school for OSAP problems.

I think you should talk to the financial aid office about this. That is 100% what they are there for. I'm sure they'll help you out.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

I generally agree with what you are saying that this is not "real" probation. But considering how hard it is to get into med school, I am just scared that med schools will be on hunt to find anything to kick me out. My OSAP probation might give my med school a reason to believe that I might drop course load in med school tooo ..... i am just scared ****less at the moment.

you're a 100 g a yr investment, if you need time off for personal reasons they give it to you.

In leyman's and unusually uncrude terms you're way off base.

I generally agree with what you are saying that this is not "real" probation. But considering how hard it is to get into med school, I am just scared that med schools will be on hunt to find anything to kick me out. My OSAP probation might give my med school a reason to believe that I might drop course load in med school tooo ..... i am just scared ****less at the moment.

the school would already know you didn't have full course that year so this isn't telling them something they didn't already know - you will be fine :)

ask any med student about how things change once you are accepted. The admins stop becoming a barrier and immediately become you allies. Your in and that is.

Archived