Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscope

I have a question. I already have a stethoscope that my dad gave me (it was his)...it's kinda old, but it works just fine. Do u guys think i'll still need to buy a new one this fall? Or could I use my old one?

Im not a med student, but I dont see a problem having an older stethoscope. During my nursing studies I used one I got from my uncle; it was fairly old but worked great!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question. I already have a stethoscope that my dad gave me (it was his)...it's kinda old, but it works just fine. Do u guys think i'll still need to buy a new one this fall? Or could I use my old one?

Keep it! If you find it's not working as well as you'd like in first year, you'll be able to get a new one during your second year when the 2015s are buying theirs. Having a unique stethoscope is one way to give preceptors something to talk about aside from the usual "so, have you chosen a specialty yet?" :D

Keep it! If you find it's not working as well as you'd like in first year, you'll be able to get a new one during your second year when the 2015s are buying theirs. Having a unique stethoscope is one way to give preceptors something to talk about aside from the usual "so, have you chosen a specialty yet?" :D

Absolutely - at the very least wait until the equipment fair when you can compare yours to the other models available :)

The brands available to our class were Welch Allyn and Littman. Most people bought the Littmann Cardiology III for $153.

I've heard most med students and doctors use the LCIII

But I was reading on SDN about how the Welch Allyn model's are actually better (it was an extensive argument, and I had no idea what they were arguing about though).

How much did the Welch cost? And do we really need a stethoscope for first year?

I've heard most med students and doctors use the LCIII

But I was reading on SDN about how the Welch Allyn model's are actually better (it was an extensive argument, and I had no idea what they were arguing about though).

How much did the Welch cost? And do we really need a stethoscope for first year?

According to UBC's orientation package they are about the same price (I think one was $10 more than the other).

• 1 year later...

BTW; I used a cheap Cardio III knockoff for a long time, and didn't think it mattered, until one day on internal I borrowed someone's REAL cardio III.

OH.

So that's the heart murmur I could BARELY hear which is now THUMPING IN MY EAR.

Hmm.

I went and bought the real deal. lol.

Archived