Premed 101 Forums

'Good catches' in med school?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats Nursing. The girls in 1st year nursing at UOttawa............oh my god..............

Ummm, just wait until you start clerkship and see what the nurses look like after 5-10 years. That is all.

(kidding, for the most part anyway) :)

UWO Meds 2014

Unless you are unlike any other UWO Meds class since the dawn of time, by the end of first year a significant percentage of your class will be sleeping with each other.

On the other hand, whether or not your classmates are "good catches" really boils down to personal preference...

this is perhaps the most important thread in the history of PM101. I want to make sure my medical school choice is informed by this very critical factor. who wants to enter a class where they know they have no interest in REALLY knowing their classmates ;)

that being said, dating a medical student is probably a bad idea. you'd just constantly be around medicine all the time then... why not date someone who is making money and can afford to take you out nice places i.e. engineers? hehe

this is perhaps the most important thread in the history of PM101. I want to make sure my medical school choice is informed by this very critical factor. who wants to enter a class where they know they have no interest in REALLY knowing their classmates ;)

that being said, dating a medical student is probably a bad idea. you'd just constantly be around medicine all the time then... why not date someone who is making money and can afford to take you out nice places i.e. engineers? hehe

It's been my experience that the money available to the engineers doesn't quite make up for their social awkwardness ;)

Unless you are unlike any other UWO Meds class since the dawn of time, by the end of first year a significant percentage of your class will be sleeping with each other.

On the other hand, whether or not your classmates are "good catches" really boils down to personal preference...

Whaaaaaat?!

Wait, maybe you're just messin with us.

P.S. Did sfinch try to make a pass at a girl? This thread is nuts.

I have a theory that you're more likely to find hot (or at least above 6/10) people in med school. Why? A big part of it is the interview process, and a lot of that is based on confidence. Attractive people are confident.

Also, there are more opportunities given to attractive people- research, leadership opportunities, good reference letters.

Sorry to go all scientific on your asses...

This is good news, I'm practically guaranteed to get accepted then.

Hahahaha! This thread is gold!

Btw, this year's Medgames are GOING TO BE EPIC!!

As for the hotness of the schools, we'll see in a couple of months!! Then, we'll be able to give every school it's own score!

So far, all I can say is that us, McGill guys, we are def "good catch"! :P

In general, I find that the guys in med school are taller (I am 6 feet and sometimes I feel like I'm of average height in my class) and better groomed than the average guy, which does add to attractiveness.

This reflects one branch.. of one medschool. If being 6 foot feels like average height at an event where many people from every medschool are there, then I guess it makes a stronger case.

At Mac, you only have to walk near the social sciences faculty to realize that medical students are on average not a very attractive bunch of people.

Some of you people came from undergrads in biochem or physics... maybe your standards sunk while in UG? ;)

Luckily, I found my gorgeous girlfriend in UG...

Let us define what is attractive first. Despite the 'popular' belief, women are ALOT pickier about looks than men. The difference is that a smooth talking man can convince a woman otherwise. But based on appearance alone - women are alot harsher than men. Lots of studies have shown this. One neet one was by OK CUPID.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/

Men rated women on a true bell curve without the curve being done. Women rated 80% of the men below average, and only a select few above average.

Of course that does not make sense. With a 1-1 ratio - from an external observers point of view, there are as many attractive women as men.

And hence the problem with this. EVERYWHERE you go, women will think the men are uglier than the women - and the men meekly accept it. It is not true.

In fact, in medicine, I would wager the men are as or more attractive than the average man, while the average female is less attractive than the average female.

Want proof? Look at the women in virtually any other faculty and compare to the meds women.

In what faculty are the men consistently better looking than the men in meds? Engineering (the only faculty with a male majority)...bwahahahaha. Social Sciences? (only those into pot smoking hippies). Probably kinesiology - but even that faculty is majority female and the men are few. In other words there are few places to find better looking men - maybe law (but the women there once again smoke the women in meds).

The stronger male sex drive, and the fact men have to do all the approaching, creates this artificial sensation that the women everywhere are better looking than the men. It is not true. And that harsh truth becomes obvious reality in 5-10 yrs time.

That being said..there are some total knockouts in medical school. And I will be seeing a bunch at OMSW!!! See you all at the Frog.

PS....i am guessing some famous PM101 couples and celebrities will be there. Excited to say the least. ;-)

Hah, obviously when the below-average attractiveness of Medical Students is brought up IN the Medical Students section, there will be resistance.

But it's almost a common knowledge that medical students aren't exactly the most attractive people. Literally visit ANY other department, nursing, social sciences, english, human kinetics, .. you'll see who's attractive..

Med students are well-rounded people though. Goodlooks aren't the most important thing.

I think every faculty/department has its attractive and unattractive people. It's more personal preference than anything. My best friend in UG and I never once agreed on the attractiveness of a guy.

And there are plenty of attractive people in my class! Or at least that is my opinion...

now I know you're a girl :D

haha, i find these posts funny. Of course heterosexuals are the majority, but there may be those who are attracted to the same sex also. (I am heterosexual), but just thought I would bring this point up since it always seems to come up with people assuming

:) (not meant to sound like I'm ranting on you, its more just a friendly observation :)

Let us define what is attractive first. Despite the 'popular' belief, women are ALOT pickier about looks than men. The difference is that a smooth talking man can convince a woman otherwise. But based on appearance alone - women are alot harsher than men. Lots of studies have shown this. One neet one was by OK CUPID.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/

Men rated women on a true bell curve without the curve being done. Women rated 80% of the men below average, and only a select few above average.

Of course that does not make sense. With a 1-1 ratio - from an external observers point of view, there are as many attractive women as men.

And hence the problem with this. EVERYWHERE you go, women will think the men are uglier than the women - and the men meekly accept it. It is not true.

In fact, in medicine, I would wager the men are as or more attractive than the average man, while the average female is less attractive than the average female.

Want proof? Look at the women in virtually any other faculty and compare to the meds women.

In what faculty are the men consistently better looking than the men in meds? Engineering (the only faculty with a male majority)...bwahahahaha. Social Sciences? (only those into pot smoking hippies). Probably kinesiology - but even that faculty is majority female and the men are few. In other words there are few places to find better looking men - maybe law (but the women there once again smoke the women in meds).

The stronger male sex drive, and the fact men have to do all the approaching, creates this artificial sensation that the women everywhere are better looking than the men. It is not true. And that harsh truth becomes obvious reality in 5-10 yrs time.

That being said..there are some total knockouts in medical school. And I will be seeing a bunch at OMSW!!! See you all at the Frog.

PS....i am guessing some famous PM101 couples and celebrities will be there. Excited to say the least. ;-)

There are famous PM101 couples?

Archived