Premed 101 Forums

Math major to medical school?

FrogFan

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now and I've done a lot of digging into different universities. The bottom line is that I want to get into medical school, but I don't want to do life sciences as a major in undergrad. I really love math and was thinking of doing a major in Mathematics and possibly a minor in biology. I'm currently in first-year engineering at McMaster, but I am definitely switching second year.

I know that in other provinces like Quebec and Alberta the admission averages to med. schools are much lower and competition is far less. But after graduation, I also want my career options to be open, and I know that Waterloo and MAC are pretty well recognized for their co-op programs, which will help me get a job afterwards.

So, in your sincere opinion, what should I do from here? I have thought about this a lot and I'm honestly hitting a roadblock. So, where should I go, which will keep my career options open and my admission into graduate school open as well? (for example, if I go to McGill my options of getting into Grad schools in the US are much greater than say, Waterloo or MAC)

So, any advice or help to a fellow in need?

Thank you.

I think this is an excellent idea, not least because I did pretty much the same thing. I even switched out of engineering after first year. I wouldn't bother with Waterloo, though, not exactly the most exciting place, and your graduate school options certainly aren't limited by going to Mac or anywhere else.

So, in short, math major with some bio and, I suppose, chem and physics (which I imagine you already have thanks to engineering) is the way to go. Take organic next year and write the MCAT in the summer following. Grad school in the US is something of a fool's errand unless you can be assured of a good funding package. No one should EVER go into a research-track grad program without adequate funding (i.e. breaking even).

I know that in other provinces like Quebec and Alberta the admission averages to med. schools are much lower and competition is far less.

O really? While honestly I dont know much about Quebec... Alberta is competitive! If you look at the GPA calculation for Calgary, it can be harsh depending on what school you are from which may make the admissions avg GPA seem low (my UC gpa was 0.12 lower tham my omsas one). And the avg GPA for UofA was over a 3.8 which is comparable to other schools in Canada.

Where are you from? Makes a big difference in most provinces as well.

If you like math, go for it! Schools dont care what your degree is in as long as you get good marks and a good MCAT (though some schools have prereqs, like AB, so you have to fit those into your program) And having a solid plan B is always a good idea as realistically, premeds dont always become med students...

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now and I've done a lot of digging into different universities. The bottom line is that I want to get into medical school, but I don't want to do life sciences as a major in undergrad. I really love math and was thinking of a doing a major in Mathematics and possibly a minor in biology. I'm currently in first-year engineering at McMaster, but I am definitely switching second year.

I know that in other provinces like Quebec and Alberta the admission averages to med. schools are much lower and competition is far less. But after graduation, I also want my career options to be open, and I know that Waterloo and MAC are pretty well recognized for their co-op programs, which will help me get a job afterwards.

So, in your sincere opinion, what should I do from here? I have thought about this a lot and I'm honestly hitting a roadblock. So, where should I go, which will keep my career options open and my admission into graduate school open as well? (for example, if I go to McGill my options of getting into Grad schools in the US are much greater than say, Waterloo or MAC)

So, any advice or help to a fellow in need?

Thank you.

like others have said- take courses that interest you... provided you can still get good grades as that is a very important aspect of the med school application. if that means major in math... you go get that math degree!

as for some provinces being less competitive... i would say that almost every school is equally difficult to get into, unless you consider the number of applications a particular school reserves over the other... but then typically the schools with less applicants have less seats available. either way, you're looking at competition no matter where you want to go and good grades will help along the way.

good luck frog

While honestly I dont know much about Quebec... Alberta is competitive!

Agreed, I don't know about Quebec, but I'm surprised anyone would ever say Alberta is far less competitive, especially when MCAT and ECs are factored in. If you said Sask or maybe Manitoba for their in-province pools, I might agree with that.

I believe there's a math major in the my med class.

Bottom line: study what interests you. Intellectual interest/stimulation should be what guides you to higher marks.

In the end, medschool is competative in Canada.

Sure, there are some nuances here and there, but my personal philosophy would be to just study what you like and let that lead to medicine.

Perhaps other posters can provide more detail regarding specific math programs.

One thing to consider, if you're a math major, most of you courses will be math courses and you would have to take pre-req science courses with your electives. Now some of these like ochem and biochem are not easy.

If you're a science major, you have to take ochem, biochem, and all premed prereqs as part of your degree, and can take bird courses with your electives.

One thing to consider, if you're a math major, most of you courses will be math courses and you would have to take pre-req science courses with your electives. Now some of these like ochem and biochem are not easy.

If you're a science major, you have to take ochem, biochem, and all premed prereqs as part of your degree, and can take bird courses with your electives.

Yes, that's true, which is why I'm thinking of doing an honours math program with a minor in biology.

I am also considering transferring to U of Ottawa because I think it'll be a relatively lenient/less rigorous math program as compared to U of T or Waterloo.

What is your opinion on this? Other people's opinions are also welcome.

Not if you're a francophone or IP...

I think this seems to have gone off-topic. What i meant to say was that students who are considered Alberta residents or Quebec residents have relatively high acceptance rates into medical schools in their respective provinces.

For example, Alberta residents have 85% of spots reserved in medical school (from UCal website).

I think something similar, if not the same, is true for Quebec residents as well.

Hope that clears things up.

Yes, that clears things up, thank you.

I Think that Moo is a math major and a practicing doctor already. You might want to PM him.

I can't seem to find him on the forums. I searched too, but no luck. :(

Maybe I'm typing it wrong.

Thanks for the tip though!

Archived