Premed 101 Forums

PM101 Runners thread

kylamonkey

I've just gotten back into running!

I started training for a 1/2 marathon last year on my own and developed ITBS.

Now I've moved across the country where there's actually winter, doing a clinic with the Running Room and loving it! It's not so bad running in -20 something wind chill :)

That didn't take long looool

I do!! but haven't for 2-3 weeks now :( ... I never get sick but for some reason this year every possible thing is getting to me (last time this happened was 9 or 10 yrs ago)!

I usually stick to 10k-15k - half marathon.

Anyone have tricks'n'tips for breathing? I'm initially a swimmer so still having trouble with this but just during the first 3 to 5k.

Who here runs?

I do/did.

My doctor told me to start the couch-to-5K program, which is kind of hilarious, but I am enjoying it for now.

Yes, it's way to start running and pretty much where i'll be going back in a couple weeks ;) Here's a good C25K program or walk/run program. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

What is the couch to 5k program? Is that a way to start running initially?

I've just gotten back into running!

I started training for a 1/2 marathon last year on my own and developed ITBS.

Now I've moved across the country where there's actually winter, doing a clinic with the Running Room and loving it! It's not so bad running in -20 something wind chill :)

Do you have a foam roller? Best $40 spent ever.

What is the couch to 5k program? Is that a way to start running initially?

or try:

c25k.com

yep, it's a program that takes you from the couch to running 5km in 9 weeks

That didn't take long looool

I usually stick to 10k-15k - half marathon.

Anyone have tricks'n'tips for breathing? I'm initially a swimmer so still having trouble with this but just dring the first 3 to 5k.

I used to know someone who was all about breathing. I never paid attention to him though, sorry. LOL.

I was up to half-marathons over the non-frozen months but not so much since my city has been coated in ice. I still run at the gym but I'd rather do weights than crank out more than 45 min on a treadmill.

Aiming at doing at least the Detroit Freepress run next year, maybe some in London or Toronto too, but the route for the DFP is so awesome.

I am/used to be a middle distance runner.

I once upon a time trained for a half marathon - many hours spent running alone in the dark and on treadmills when it was too slippery outside to run. But after the Scotiabank Marathon conflicted with an important event which I couldn't miss, I haven't wanted to run anything longer than 10k.

Knee has put me out of commission since running XC OUAs back in October. I've been alternating between various exercise machines, since walking is sometimes too painful. I've decided that this track season is a lost cause and my dreams of going to Rio this summer (WMG) for the 1500m are shattered :(

Knee has put me out of commission since running XC OUAs back in October.:(

Mind if I ask what happened to your knee?

I used to run a lot, but then I injured my ACL and hamstring, so I don't run as much now - once or twice per week usually. To compensate, I've gotten into running research for my grad work lol.

I'm going to start running tmrw!!! I love it, keeps me tiny. I find I notice weight loss like crazy after running and have much more energy. Typically I do 5 to 7 km each time I jog. I get too bored after that. Thanks for starting this thread Kyla! I can't back out of starting my fit routine now!

This is a definite advantage to living in a mild climate.

I had to do speedwork on treadmills and really disliked it. the only saving grace was my iPod.

I can't run without my iPod. Lol I don't know why but I also have to listen to TLC when I run. Btw, I'm impressed u were a phys trainer! Also do u watch Dr Oz? I sensed a bit of his presence in your posts.

running is great! i started in grade 8 and i think i lost around 60 pounds over the course of 2 years after that. for a while in university i was pretty hardcore, espec when i was dating a 5x marathoner with a bunch of marathoner relatives with an ultra marathoner (doing like 2-3 marathon distances straight :rolleyes: ) relative and an 85 year old grandpa that still jogged 5 k every day :eek: . i developed a problem in some foot joints and stopped for a while but ever since orthotics i've been running again, although nowhere near the intensity i used too.

that's so true, running outside i've just winged tons of half marathons on the spot because i get so distracted the environment around me, on a treadmill i try and do 15 min at the fastest speed possible, i can't stand staring at the clock, it makes it seem like a chore instead of something enjoyable

This is a definite advantage to living in a mild climate.

I had to do speedwork on treadmills and really disliked it. the only saving grace was my iPod.

that's so true, running outside i've just winged tons of half marathons on the spot because i get so distracted the environment around me, on a treadmill i try and do 15 min at the fastest speed possible, i can't stand staring at the clock, it makes it seem like a chore instead of something enjoyable

So true. Once you're at that point where you can run at a decent clip without feeling like you're going to die, its like meditation. If its nice out I'll even go without music sometimes just to enjoy it more. With the treadmill I need music to cover the ****ty gym soundtrack and a towel to drape over the time so that I'm not aware of every passing second.

I'm going to start running tmrw!!! I love it, keeps me tiny. I find I notice weight loss like crazy after running and have much more energy. Typically I do 5 to 7 km each time I jog. I get too bored after that. Thanks for starting this thread Kyla! I can't back out of starting my fit routine now!

Hi cerena, the wieght loss is prolly just the dehydration factor kicking in lol. (All the water weight you lost during your run). But its great to run to releive stress.

Archived