Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion (2011)

I think it's for both ugrad and grad students -> if you haven't heard yet (unless all invites from the 1st batch have not been sent out) then you have not been reviewed quite yet.

Definitely is nice to hear early on (congrats takashi!) but the most important thing is that hopes for Toronto are still alive for those who are not part of the 1,100 rejected this past Friday.

Would be sweet to know if Leslie finished with all the invites today!

I tried calling to verify this, no one picked up. Lets just assume they are done for the day, with a total of approx 12 invites :P

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just realized that two of the interview days are the same as the days I'll be interviewing in Thunder Bay for NOSM. Since I live in Toronto I'm flying out on the 26th and interviewing the 27th.

Anyone been in a situation like that before? or currently? What does one do?

They have said on the blog that they are able to accomodate reasonable requests for changes to interview times.

"More interview invites will come as we progress through the files. There is no set schedule for sending these emails"

So is Deborah referring to interviews Leslie meant to send out today? Or is she referring to all other future interviews that will be sent out?

I guess future emails, I would think that after each file review they have a set of students selected for an interview.Which mean they don't decide on interviews while going through the files..they probably had 40 interviews sent today tops.

"More interview invites will come as we progress through the files. There is no set schedule for sending these emails"

So is Deborah referring to interviews Leslie meant to send out today? Or is she referring to all other future interviews that will be sent out?

My guess is all future invites & rejections. They've done a large file review since the deadlines and post-holidays, and have now pared away all those who didn't make the cutoffs. Now its review, review, review, and they'll invite & reject as they go.

Does an applicant from previous years have a rough idea of when the second wave of interviews/ rejections was sent out? I know it varies as it depends on how long it takes the admissions staff to review everyones files but a general idea would be nice.

Personally, I think 2 weeks is a safe bet.

Thoughts?

i might be wrong, but when i was dropping off some documents in the office, i noticed on their wall calendar, it said "grad review day" sometime in mid-feb...so probably a little while longer. there are a lot of applicants...so im sure it takes them time.

You're probably right! I know Deborah said that the next big file review day will be grad heavy. But there is no strict deadline for sending out invites this time around. This is probably better as most people won't be neurotically checking their e-mails. At this point, the date of any future invites or regrets is up in the air.

Does an applicant from previous years have a rough idea of when the second wave of interviews/ rejections was sent out? I know it varies as it depends on how long it takes the admissions staff to review everyones files but a general idea would be nice.

Personally, I think 2 weeks is a safe bet.

Thoughts?

Well, looking at a few threads from last year, it seems that the 2nd round went out on Feb 8. Then people heard back on a few days in March (the 4th, 11th, and 22nd).

These dates were just from a quick forum search that I did. There may have been more that I missed.

Well, looking at a few threads from last year, it seems that the 2nd round went out on Feb 8. Then people heard back on a few days in March (the 4th, 11th, and 22nd).

These dates were just from a quick forum search that I did. There may have been more that I missed.

And since the interview dates last year were Feb. 26th-28th, March 26th-28th, and April 16th-18th, one can assume that they'll try to give you 2-3 weeks to arrange travel to your interview, if you're lucky enough to get one. With the last interview weekend this year being the 25th-27th of March, I'd think that all the interviews should be handed out by the first week of March or so.

This is from the stats thread. I thought Lupe had a good analysis, so I'm moving the post to this thread.

So we have 4 interviews among those who post on these forums. I'm inclined to think that can't be all for wave 1. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

If you receive a later interview, does that put you at a disadvantage compared to the people who interview earlier? For example, are there less spots later on because the earlier spots have filled up with early interviewees, or are spots reserved for the people who interview later?

No it does not put you at a disadvantage. There are no "spots", per se. If they want to interview you and there are no "slots" left, they will create one for you.

I think its wishful thinking on your part but I could be wrong. Toronto is known to send out notifications over a long period of time.

Also, about 45 people posted getting interviews for Queen's and there were 480 interviews overall, so if there were 4 interviews among posters on this forum, then it's possible that around 45 interviews went out today. Assuming there are about 545 interviews to be sent out this year, that leaves 500 interviews. But this batch only includes the one interview date of February 12th and they are also interviewing the MD/PhDs that day.

There are three more scheduled weekends for interviews (and one Friday so a total of 7 days). There should be at least twice the number of applicants being invited for interview for the next three weekends. There will probably be more applicants invited as there will be no MD/PhDs interviewing on those weekends. So let's say they interview 60 candidates on Saturday and another 60 on Sunday. That should total 420 more interviews in addition to the 45. With this method we're missing about 80 interviews but the numbers we have aren't exactly perfect. There were probably more than 45 interviews sent out today (closer to 55) and UofT will probably interview about 70 candidates per scheduled day.

So yeah, wishful thinking! :D

Archived