Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion (2011)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to elaborate on my analysis and draw some more conclusions here. Here is my original post:

---------------------------------

Toronto is known to send out notifications over a long period of time.

Also, about 45 people posted getting interviews for Queen's and there were 480 interviews overall, so if there were 4 interviews among posters on this forum, then it's possible that around 45 interviews went out today. Assuming there are about 545 interviews to be sent out this year, that leaves 500 interviews. But this batch only includes the one interview date of February 12th and they are also interviewing the MD/PhDs that day.

There are three more scheduled weekends for interviews (and one Friday so a total of 7 days). There should be at least twice the number of applicants being invited for interview for the next three weekends. There will probably be more applicants invited as there will be no MD/PhDs interviewing on those weekends. So let's say they interview 60 candidates on Saturday and another 60 on Sunday. That should total 420 more interviews in addition to the 45. With this method we're missing about 80 interviews but the numbers we have aren't exactly perfect. There were probably more than 45 interviews sent out today (closer to 55) and UofT will probably interview about 70 candidates per scheduled day.

-------------------------------

Let's stick with the numbers that 55 interviews were sent out on Monday and that 140 interviews will be released in the next wave. Toronto has posted this:

Interview dates for 2011 entry are as follows:

Feb. 12, 26, 27

March 5, 6, 25, 26, 27

I believe the next interview invites will go out on February 14th at the latest (to give the interviewees at least 2 weeks heads up). So there should be 140 interview invitations sent out along with 490 rejections.

The 490 rejections comes from the fact that out of approximately 2950 applicants, 1100 were rejected and 55 received an interview. That leaves 1795 applicants. If you take the ratio of the leftover interviews you will find that for every 2 applicants invited to interview, there will be about 7 rejected.

So expect 140 interview invitations and 490 rejections on the following dates:

- February 14

- February 21

- March 14 (On this date, there should be 210 invitations and 735 rejections)

And based on the previous analysis, there should be roughly 13 people posting their interview stats on each of the aforementioned dates, except on March 14th, when we should expect about 19 people to post their interview stats. In total, this forum will have 50 members invited to interview who will be willing to post their stats.

I feel a lot better now. I hope this is helpful and not complete jargon!

Great hypothesis, but you are missing the point. From the UofT blog comments:

"We don’t work in “batches.” We work on a rolling basis. Invitations and refusal notifications may come at any time now. No one should be “expecting” any communication at any time other than on May 5. That is the only set date on which we know we will be sending decisions. We are working through our process."

QED

Great hypothesis, but you are missing the point. From the UofT blog comments:

"We don’t work in “batches.” We work on a rolling basis. Invitations and refusal notifications may come at any time now. No one should be “expecting” any communication at any time other than on May 5. That is the only set date on which we know we will be sending decisions. We are working through our process."

QED

The way I interpret that quote is in line with Lupe's analysis. When I read that comment, I think "Ok, so UofT is covering their butt so that people don't ask 'When are the next set on invites/rejections comming out?'" If they did give a firm date for the next batch, and then something happened so they couldn't meet that date, applicants would freak out on them. So while they work on a rolling basis, I think it's reasonable to come to the conclusion that they send the emails out in groups (i.e. mass email). I think that "rolling basis" is synonymous with "batches without a set timeline".

Of course, all this could simply be wild overanalysis and they're going to send out the interviews/rejections willy-nilly.

Congrats thatonekid!

I suppose Toronto is doing stuff on a rolling basis. This is good to be honest. Invites can come out on any day and we won't be anxiously checking our inboxes.

Orrrrrrrr interviews can come any day and so we might check our inboxes even more neurotically ;)

I doubt it...

It looks like Feb 26 interviews were handed out today. Probably part of the same initial review, but they wanted to get the Feb 12 interviews out yesterday.

Congrats HBP!

You're killing it!!!!

Also, I think it's possible for more interviews to go out tomorrow seeing as they will probably want to fill up the February 27th date. But that really does depend on how many files they've deemed to be worthy enough for an interview.

EDIT: Or not. Some people who got interviews today are scheduled for February 27th. So, random timing of sending invitations it is.

Based on the previous analysis, there should be roughly 13 people posting their interview stats on each of the aforementioned dates, except on March 14th, when we should expect about 19 people to post their interview stats. In total, this forum will have 50 members invited to interview who will be willing to post their stats.

I feel a lot better now. I hope this is helpful and not complete jargon!

There were a total of 9 people who posted their stats for interviews for the weekend of February 26/27. I imagine there will be a couple more posters later tonight.

So I was kind of on the ball...

I hope they send more tomorrow. My fingers are starting to hurt from keeping them crossed too long. I never dream of a girl, just U of T...maybe Deborah a bit.

Haha! Insert "like" button here.

I'm a girl and heterosexual, but not gonna lie, I'd totally dream about Deborah too, especially if she had an invite (or more appropriately, Leslie with her with an invite)

And I'm sure if Deborah does check pm101, she just about will have one of the creepiest days of life...

Archived