Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion (2011)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere else.

But how much is the interview worth in the determination of admission offers (i.e. 40% pre-interview vs 60% interview score)?

Thanks!!

I'm not sure of the numbers but I know the academic bit will remain at 60% and the interview will count as a portion of the non-academic bit. I think UofT has one of the lowest values, if not the lowest, allocated to the interview. I was told this by a number of Medical students who have interviewed at UofT.

I'm not sure of the numbers but I know the academic bit will remain at 60% and the interview will count as a portion of the non-academic bit. I think UofT has one of the lowest values, if not the lowest, allocated to the interview. I was told this by a number of Medical students who have interviewed at UofT.

Yeah that is the general understanding - interviews are about getting to know you and I guess since they spend so much time doing that before you get there they feel they already have evaluated you in that way quite a bit.

Even though interviews might account for only 20%, I think it still makes a big difference. I would bet that most applicants other than a handful of the "super applicants" (e.g. 4.0, cured cancer twice :P etc.) are relatively similar in their pre-interview score. A slightly better interview could mean the difference between getting in and waitlisted or rejected.

Even though interviews might account for only 20%, I think it still makes a big difference. I would bet that most applicants other than a handful of the "super applicants" (e.g. 4.0, cured cancer twice :P etc.) are relatively similar in their pre-interview score. A slightly better interview could mean the difference between getting in and waitlisted or rejected.

It's funny you say so because in those studies that looked at admissions statistics, the mean interview score was 16/20 with like a 1.5 SD.

Pre-interview ranking says around 75-80% the same.

Does anyone know the order in which invitations are sent within the SAME day? ie. alphabetical, by ranking score, or random?

Although I'm sure everyone will do their best at interviews, it might be helpful to know how you are already ranked. Good luck, everyone!

so from the blog it seems they've sent out enough invites to fill Feb. Is that 3/8 of the total invites, or do they interview less MDs on the 12th?

Probably just about 3/8 (maybe slightly less due to less MDs on the 12th).

And yeah, unfortunately it does look like the February dates are meant to be filled at this point. Guess we're yet to be reviewed.

Really don't want the axe to drop here.

All classes are cancelled at UofT for undergrads. I imagine the Med Admissions office is closed as well.

EDIT: never mind. Deborah is still in as she is responding to questions on the blog. There could be more invites sent out today if people have conflicts with their February interviews.

That makes sense for non-graduate students, but I'm assuming that they would have another way to weigh graduate students that they've taken so much effort to consider despite potentially lower academic scores. I'd hope...otherwise what's the point? Tired of being on waitlists...(ahem..Ottawa)

It looks like invites were sent out to people to fill the Feb 26 & 27 spots other people had to change due to Calgary & UBC interviews.

Looks like it it indeed. I was one of the lucky ones to receive one! Checked for kicks after reading your post :D.

Best part of all -> U/T pre-interview rejection February 3, 2010. U/T interview invite February 3, 2011. Have worked my butt off for this :).

Archived