Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion (2011)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give people time to book travel. Also, if someone may not be able to attend that date, they can reschedule for an earlier date. If they waited till after March 5/6, it would be harder to reschedule (they'd have to create a new weekend for interviews).

Does anyone know how many interviews they usually have/weekend? I mean given that the Big grad review is going to happen next week I assumed that they would reserve the last week for graduate students mostly.

Refer to my gigantic analysis post where I deduce that they interview about 70 people per day, so 140 per interview weekend. But they would interview 210 on the later March weekend.

Deborah has said there really isn't a grad pool. The only thing that changes with being a graduate applicant is how they review your file. It's possible that the majority of those spots would go to graduate candidates.

Refer to my gigantic analysis post where I deduce that they interview about 70 people per day, so 140 per interview weekend. But they would interview 210 on the later March weekend.

Deborah has said there really isn't a grad pool. The only thing that changes with being a graduate applicant is how they review your file. It's possible that the majority of those spots would go to graduate candidates.

I know that a grad pool does not exist, but I was told by leslie that the majority of the grad applicants were not reviewed yet. Ohh..well...mid February here we come :eek:

A friend of mine also got one for that weekend.

Still, why would UofT skip a weekend?

Like HBP said, it's so they can rebook people for the earlier weekend. And then when they send out the March 5 & 6 invites, they can rebook those people into the end of March dates. It's easier to do that than to add a new interview date during exam time.

Don't worry, it's not just you. Even at night and on the weekends I check my e-mail hoping to see an e-mail from Leslie Taylor. Waiting sucks. Even though they emphasize that hearing later or earlier does not mean anything, it's hard not to think that it does.

The only issue is we know they have a big batch of rejections waiting to be sent out but they refuse to send them right now.

Also, I feel like half the interview spots have already been taken.

How do we know they are refusingto send them out? Didn't Deborah mention she didn't want anyone waiting longer than necessary? :(
Well, if they've invited people to the interviews at the end of March, then it's reasonable to think that they also read some apps and decided not to interview those people. Yet, only invitations and not rejections were sent out. There are likely a few people who could have received rejections yesterday but did not.

Deborah said it isn't time efficient for her to send out individual refusals in her blog. They DO have a big batch of rejections ready. They are just waiting for more to pile up before she sends them out.

ohh k thanks. so there are "batches" of rejections then.

• 3 weeks later...
=(

Pretty dissappointed

3rd year applicant

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: all passed

EC: plenty, student gov't, 4-5 exec team on student clubs, abroad volunteering

Research: 2 pubs, scholarships, conferences

LOR: not really sure.

PS: poured my heart out!

=(

Good luck to all those invited!

For everyone else, like all others have said before, keep up the good work and let's show them what we've got next year!

Wow these are amazing stats. How were you able to get two pubs in only 3 years (with abroad volunteering!)? What's the secret?

It's sad that UofT rejects people like you, what more do they want. But I'm sure you had multiple interviews at other places.:o

Is it at all possible that they are just running low on interview spots towards the end? I'm surprised by all the great people getting rejected too. I know U of T is not rolling but I can't help but think that if your file is reviewed towards the end, and they are running out of spots, they may have to cut out candidates that they would've interviewed earlier.

Is it at all possible that they are just running low on interview spots towards the end? I'm surprised by all the great people getting rejected too. I know U of T is not rolling but I can't help but think that if your file is reviewed towards the end, and they are running out of spots, they may have to cut out candidates that they would've interviewed earlier.

It's a legitimate thought. I had the same one last year too.

But then I got an interview invite on the last day of invites last year, as a 4th year with a 3.825 GPA, not much research, long-term ECs/volunteering, and good refs (IMO).

So I don't think they "run out of spots" and start rejecting candidates with great stats. They invite everyone they want to meet/has a good chance of fitting with their program. Every year we see outstanding stats getting rejected, boggle our minds, but then realize that UofT takes a holistic approach and stats aren't everything.

Average interview score is 16/20. Most people do well... so pre-interview ranking tends to stay similar. Tons of rejectees/WLers last year (post interview), were people with 3.8-3.85 GPAs. Since, as you mentioned, your non-academic score gets hijacked post-interview, these people are at disadvantage (since their NAQ is probably the better part of their application).

What would be more fair is if it were 60/40 pre-interview. Then pre-interview(0.8) + interview score. But as far as we know (what was reported in the past), they don't do this.

That being said, everyone who makes it to the interview stage has the potential to be accepted (obviously). Some just have to perform better than others...

That makes alot of sense. It seems as though preinterview, you need a combination of a high GPA and a well written personal statement/reference letters. After the interview, provided you had a good GPA and did well in the interview, your chances seem reasonable.

Archived