Premed 101 Forums

Osama Bin Laden Is Dead!!

summerlove7

true.

it seems apparent that the pakistan government had no idea of the sneak attack. for those unaware, osama was purported to live in a huge mansion, just outside of islamabad, the capital city of pakistan. How could they have not known (assuming they're innocent)? He seemed to be just under their noses. :S

true.

it seems apparent that the pakistan government had no idea of the sneak attack. for those unaware, osama was purported to live in a huge mansion, just outside of islamabad, the capital city of pakistan. How could they have not known (assuming they're innocent)? He seemed to be just under their noses. :S

Exactly what i'm thinking. If someone is living in a mansion, i'd assume they would be pretty well known.

Expect to see photos of the body at some point soon, a la Saddam Hussein.

This is actually quite extraordinary, and is going to be a huge plus for Obama's re-election chances (which, despite what you might read on US news outlets are probably pretty good).

<a href=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6600/kdssc.jpg' alt='kdssc.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

true.

Exactly what i'm thinking. If someone is living in a mansion, i'd assume they would be pretty well known.

Well, apparently the area he was living in was quite affluent... so perhaps his abode wasn't that out of the ordinary for the area. Apparently, it was worth about 1 million dollars. The things that were odd, and helped the US determine it was him living there, were that he burned his trash instead of putting it out for collection and he didn't have internet or telephone service hooked up... which was odd for the dwelling and area.

As for hiding in plain sight... it's actually a good idea. If everybody thinks you should be hiding in the jungle/mountains/caves/rural areas then hiding in an urban centre makes sense since it would be the last logical place to look. It's not like the guy went out for walks daily... I don't think he left the compound, so as long as nobody does anything suspicious then you get away with it. However, like I mentioned above- the lack of internet/telephone, burning of trash and the couriers that were coming and going helped tip off the US and they were able to identify a man on the compound that looked very close to Osama.

At least that is what CNN reported when I watched it unfold.

Like Kyla mentioned, I think this will help Obama and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get re-elected... it's not like his competition is blowing him out of the water at this point...

something tells me he died of kidney failure and the pakistanis found him, just shot him, and sold the body to the americans so the cia could pretend they "captured" him, lol

same here!!!!!

I can't believe they got him after 10 years!

true.

It was a joint US-Pakistan effort.

I think we should thank the CIA and the CT units that killed him.

I wouldn't think Obama had anything to do with this.

The fact that he lived in a mansion in the suburbs of the Pakistani capital city doesn't bode well for pakistani-us relations as well.

In any case, what a glorious day :D :D :D

Ceeeeeleeeebration time come on!

The most interesting story that I've read comming out of this is about an IT consultant from Abbottabad who unknowingly liveblogged the raid on Twitter. It'll be interesting to see the next set of opinion polls on Obama and if this changes anything.

It was a joint US-Pakistan effort.

No it wasn't. Obama made it very clear last night that it was a unilateral operation carried out by US forces. They didn't tell anyone about what they knew or when they would strike. Even NATO allies, who traditionally would get intelligence sharing, were kept in the dark on this file.

I question the validity of this story. Why did they immediately after killing Bin Laden already dispose his body at sea?

They wanted to make sure that there would be no grave to serve as a shrine. Plus, no country wanted him buried on their soil, unmarked or not.

It was quick because Islamic custom dictates burial in 24 hours. They treated the body in accordance with Muslim traditions.

Frankly, I wish folks would pay this the attention it deserves. In other words, "Huh, that's good", shrug, and move on.

All the media attention and headlines devoted to it give the man a nod of respect and attention he does not deserve. He's dead: let's let his influence pass into memory.

No it wasn't. Obama made it very clear last night that it was a unilateral operation carried out by US forces. They didn't tell anyone about what they knew or when they would strike. Even NATO allies, who traditionally would get intelligence sharing, were kept in the dark on this file.

Actually, you should probably go back and watch Obama's speech again because he explicitly stated that Pakistani intelligence cooperated with the CIA in the raid and were of assistance for some time. Also he said that he had spoken to the Pakistani president just that night to confirm all the information and circumstances of the raid.

Cheers

Actually, you should probably go back and watch Obama's speech again because he explicitly stated that Pakistani intelligence cooperated with the CIA in the raid and were of assistance for some time. Also he said that he had spoken to the Pakistani president just that night to confirm all the information and circumstances of the raid.

Cheers

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0511/Musharraf_Raid_violated_Pakistani_sovereignty.html?showall#

In this interview it seems the Pakistanis were not informed of the operation.

Basically they're saying they're mad that the US didn't trust them...

Archived