Premed 101 Forums

2011 Waitlist Thread

another week is about to begin. I do think there are a FEW spots left. Do you think they will try to fill them on monday, tuesday or what?

There is still a (small) chance for everyone on the waiting list, since they haven't yet sent out the e-mail saying that the class has filled. Then again, I think that last year they sent it out in August, so maybe they fill the class and then wait for a bit to see if anyone needs to drop out for some reason?

If spots become available, I think they will try to fill them as quickly as they can. There were some waitlist offers made at the end of not this past week but a week before, so their deadline would have been at the end of this past week, so maybe the office was straightening all those out on Friday and will possibly make some calls tomorrow? We can only hope!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is probably a dumb question... but if you are still on the waitlist do you have to send your final transcript to OMSAS?

I did. I figured it's easier to just pay the $10 now than to have to scramble to do it later if I do get in. I think the June 30 transcript deadline holds for everyone; it doesn't say anything about having that deadline extended if you are on the waiting list. I could be wrong though.

This is probably a dumb question... but if you are still on the waitlist do you have to send your final transcript to OMSAS?

I just had another look at that wonderful e-mail I received on May 5th... :rolleyes:

"It is essential for us to know whether an applicant on our Wait List remains interested in our Doctor of Medicine Program. Please reply to this email to indicate whether or not you wish your name to remain on the Wait List here at Western. We require this information no later than JUNE 1, 2011. Should you choose to remain on the Wait List, please provide telephone numbers for both day and evening hours where you may be contacted (or have a message left for you). If you have plans to be away for any period of time between now and August 31, 2011, please ensure that you have designated someone to be your "Authorized Contact" with OMSAS, who can provide answers and/or decisions on your behalf. FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE TELEPHONE NUMBERS AND/OR AN AUTHORIZED CONTACT MAY LEAD TO MISSING AN OFFER OF ADMISSION.

Final transcripts must be received by OMSAS no later than June 30, 2011. Failure to comply by this deadline will be considered as a failure to meet the conditions."

So yeah, send them in now. Or "after degree is conferred", which is an option you can choose on OMSAS.

I just had another look at that wonderful e-mail I received on May 5th... :rolleyes:

"It is essential for us to know whether an applicant on our Wait List remains interested in our Doctor of Medicine Program. Please reply to this email to indicate whether or not you wish your name to remain on the Wait List here at Western. We require this information no later than JUNE 1, 2011. Should you choose to remain on the Wait List, please provide telephone numbers for both day and evening hours where you may be contacted (or have a message left for you). If you have plans to be away for any period of time between now and August 31, 2011, please ensure that you have designated someone to be your "Authorized Contact" with OMSAS, who can provide answers and/or decisions on your behalf. FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE TELEPHONE NUMBERS AND/OR AN AUTHORIZED CONTACT MAY LEAD TO MISSING AN OFFER OF ADMISSION.

Final transcripts must be received by OMSAS no later than June 30, 2011. Failure to comply by this deadline will be considered as a failure to meet the conditions."

So yeah, send them in now. Or "after degree is conferred", which is an option you can choose on OMSAS.

Thanks! Yeah I'm going to send mine now just to be safe. Looks like no movement today... is the class already 100% full?? yikes

Thanks! Yeah I'm going to send mine now just to be safe. Looks like no movement today... is the class already 100% full?? yikes

There's no way to know if it's full unfortunately... of course it's possible that there was minimal movement today and the person/people involved just don't post on PM101. I've almost pretty much given up on this year; if I do end up getting in it will just be a nice surprise lol

There's no way to know if it's full unfortunately... of course it's possible that there was minimal movement today and the person/people involved just don't post on PM101. I've almost pretty much given up on this year; if I do end up getting in it will just be a nice surprise lol

I've taken the same mentality. What are you planning to do this upcoming year, if you don't mind me asking?

I've taken the same mentality. What are you planning to do this upcoming year, if you don't mind me asking?

Good question! I don't think I want to do more undergrad, I think I'd be better off working on my "life experience", whatever that means haha. I'm working in a lab for the summer, and I may or may not have the option to continue doing so in the fall. I'll probably just try to find some sort of job (easy to say that, but not so easy when it comes time to actually find something). When you think about it, having a year off (break from studying) may not even be the worst thing in the world :) Will have lots of time to focus on applications and interview prep. I feel a lot better about the whole application process for next year. To be honest, I didn't really know a lot about it this past year. What about you? And everyone else, I'd love to hear about your plans for next year if you don't get in, if you don't mind sharing.

The last movement recorded on these boards was last Tuesday right? If they keep to their once-a-week prediction, tomorrow might hold some good news for someone. I really hope that it's someone from the pm101 waitlist crew. Good luck you guys.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that once-a-week thing! Maybe there is some miniscule glimmer of hope.

Facebook group update: 137 in the main group with 26 of those people in the Windsor group. That means that, according to Facebook (which is not reliable but is the only way we can measure class full-ness), there are 12 Windsor spots left. Some of those spots are likely currently filled by people who didn't join the group, but it's also possible that some people who aren't at the Windsor campus may join that group so that they can hear about upcoming events and other stuff that is posted on that group. My guess would be that not too many people would do that though.

Good question! I don't think I want to do more undergrad, I think I'd be better off working on my "life experience", whatever that means haha. I'm working in a lab for the summer, and I may or may not have the option to continue doing so in the fall. I'll probably just try to find some sort of job (easy to say that, but not so easy when it comes time to actually find something). When you think about it, having a year off (break from studying) may not even be the worst thing in the world :) Will have lots of time to focus on applications and interview prep. I feel a lot better about the whole application process for next year. To be honest, I didn't really know a lot about it this past year. What about you? And everyone else, I'd love to hear about your plans for next year if you don't get in, if you don't mind sharing.

Sounds like a good plan.

I, myself am thinking of beginning a masters program. Does anyone know if it is okay to apply to med schools even after just 1 year of a masters program (obviously without completing it)? IE are the 1st year graduate courses weighted in any way, or am I just considered someone who has completed their 4 years of undergrad?

Sounds like a good plan.

I, myself am thinking of beginning a masters program. Does anyone know if it is okay to apply to med schools even after just 1 year of a masters program (obviously without completing it)? IE are the 1st year graduate courses weighted in any way, or am I just considered someone who has completed their 4 years of undergrad?

That's a great idea, and best of luck with it (if you end up having to use your back-up plan). I don't know much about how med school applications work if you are doing a masters that is more than 1 year long, so hopefully someone else will be able to give some feedback on that. You also may want to consider whether the particular program would let you leave after 1 year, after investing time and $$ into training you and all that. I really have no idea how that works.

Sounds like a good plan.

Hey,

Pursuing a master's degree is a great idea. With regards to your first question, most med schools, albeit not all (for example Calgary), require you to complete your grad degree before enrolling. I know UWO emailed me around interview time and asked if I will be done my master's degree.

As for grad courses, Ontario schools (except maybe Toronto...but no one knows exactly how UofT handles grad marks) do not take your grad marks into consideration. Calgary and UBC on the other hand DO use your grad marks to calculate GPA.

Having said that, grad school provides you with many experiences that will expose you to the research side of medicine and may significantly elevate the strength of your meds application. The presentations, publications, the leadership, initiative and collaboration go a long way in filling your application AND add substance to your interview.

Plus, you may like research and decide to become a researcher/clinician.

I did a course-based masters degree and I absolutely loved it. A lot of my answers during my interview were extrapolated from my experiences in grad school. I don't think I would have done well at the interview if I didn't have so many grad experiences under my belt.

Good luck and hang in there...you're almost there :)

- Maher

Hey,

Pursuing a master's degree is a great idea. With regards to your first question, most med schools, albeit not all (for example Calgary), require you to complete your grad degree before enrolling. I know UWO emailed me around interview time and asked if I will be done my master's degree.

As for grad courses, Ontario schools (except maybe Toronto...but no one knows exactly how UofT handles grad marks) do not take your grad marks into consideration. Calgary and UBC on the other hand DO use your grad marks to calculate GPA.

Having said that, grad school provides you with many experiences that will expose you to the research side of medicine and may significantly elevate the strength of your meds application. The presentations, publications, the leadership, initiative and collaboration go a long way in filling your application AND add substance to your interview.

Plus, you may like research and decide to become a researcher/clinician.

I did a course-based masters degree and I absolutely loved it. A lot of my answers during my interview were extrapolated from my experiences in grad school. I don't think I would have done well at the interview if I didn't have so many grad experiences under my belt.

Good luck and hang in there...you're almost there :)

- Maher

Do you mind if I ask how a course-based masters helped you for the interview? I can understand how a research-based masters gives you exposure to a variety of things but a course-based one seems like an extension of an undergrad degree at a professional level (e.g. MPH).

I don't mean any offense :s I was just curious and enlightened by it (I too like the idea of a course-based masters :) )

Do you mind if I ask how a course-based masters helped you for the interview? I can understand how a research-based masters gives you exposure to a variety of things but a course-based one seems like an extension of an undergrad degree at a professional level (e.g. MPH).

I don't mean any offense :s I was just curious and enlightened by it (I too like the idea of a course-based masters :) )

Definitely not!

During my master's program I got exposed to a lot of teaching opportunities. I TA'ed medical and dental students in the anatomy lab, gave a lecture to an undergrad anatomy course, and attended education seminars on teaching.

I also had the chance to observer surgeries and even be part of a liver transplant team (my supervisor was a transplant surgeon).

I hope that gives you an example. My degree was a maser's in clinical anatomy at UWO and it was great :)

I forgot to mention that as you present, teach, write, your communication skills in general become stronger which in turn, helps you commnicate well during the interview.

I hope you have an idea now?

Definitely not!

During my master's program I got exposed to a lot of teaching opportunities. I TA'ed medical and dental students in the anatomy lab, gave a lecture to an undergrad anatomy course, and attended education seminars on teaching.

I also had the chance to observer surgeries and even be part of a liver transplant team (my supervisor was a transplant surgeon).

I hope that gives you an example. My degree was a maser's in clinical anatomy at UWO and it was great :)

I forgot to mention that as you present, teach, write, your communication skills in general become stronger which in turn, helps you commnicate well during the interview.

I hope you have an idea now?

Wow that's amazing!! I never knew such a program existed. Thanks a lot for explaining your experience in detail. :)

It must also prepare you really well for the anatomy during medical school (since you taught it!) Hahahaha it might also feel a bit weird to be taught the anatomy when it was you who taught it previously :P

Wow that's amazing!! I never knew such a program existed. Thanks a lot for explaining your experience in detail. :)

It must also prepare you really well for the anatomy during medical school (since you taught it!) Hahahaha it might also feel a bit weird to be taught the anatomy when it was you who taught it previously :P

lol I don't think it's gonna feel weird at all seeing how I forgot so much already...

But no, I definitely feel like it has prepared me well. I strongly recommend it for any one who wants to give meds another shot while doing something useful at the same time. It's only a 20 month program. The first year is spent learning cadaveric anatomy, histology, neuroanatomy and the second year is spent doing research. The research isn't anything too hardcore, it's like an elaborate 4th year project.

lollll :) a good laugh.

If people had to respond via mail, they might actually wait a couple more days because of the postal strike

Hmm I'm not sure, maybe someone who was accepted off the waitlist can help us out here but I doubt they would respond by snail mail. It'd probably be e-mail or OMSAS or something like that right?

I think most of or all of the offers had a response deadline of Friday June 10. We had to respond on OMSAS. OMSAS takes a few business days to process the response though, so the lack of new offers may be due to Western waiting for confirmation for people who responded on Friday. Good luck!

I think most of or all of the offers had a response deadline of Friday June 10. We had to respond on OMSAS. OMSAS takes a few business days to process the response though, so the lack of new offers may be due to Western waiting for confirmation for people who responded on Friday. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing that info! Sounds like it could potentially be promising.

Archived