Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2012 Cycle Party Thread

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys

Good luck on your cycle, i know they revamped the AMCAS so you guys have more stuff to do (verifiers etc), but this is a good practice for those of you who are applying to OMSAS :D

As someone who went through AMCAS twice, I know its a hard and grueling cycle. But just hang in there, as you can see from the accepted thread, many who post on the boards ultimately got an acceptance somewhere (either in US or Canada).

Good luck all :D

I'm confused too... Anyone know how you're supposed to deal with the credit hours system? So for example, first year Chemistry was a full year course with a weekly 3 hour lab/tutorial. Is this 6 credit hours? Or 8...?

My school designates 3 "units" for a half-year course and 6 units for full-year courses but there are no additional units for courses that have labs :S

I wasn't sure about the credit stuff either, so I just put 3cr for everything, and just indicated if it was a mix lec+lab.

As for the letters of reference, do they need to be in by June 1st when we can submit applications, or are the letters only really needed for the secondary applications? Just wondering when to have all my letters in by and if I need to rush my writers or not lol.

For most schools in Ontario

IF your course is 0.5 credits (runs 3 months/H course), its 3 hours, if said course has a lab, it is 4 hours.

IF your course is 1.0 credits (runs 6 months/Y course), its 6 hours, if said course has a lab, its 8 hours.

Usually, this setting allows you to fill the pre-reqs. If anything, AMCAS will correct it if they detect any discrepencies (ie. you reporting a half year course as 8 semester hours). But usually they just what you entered as is when it comes to semester hours (I wish for the GPA part :P )

I'm confused too... Anyone know how you're supposed to deal with the credit hours system? So for example, first year Chemistry was a full year course with a weekly 3 hour lab/tutorial. Is this 6 credit hours? Or 8...?

My school designates 3 "units" for a half-year course and 6 units for full-year courses but there are no additional units for courses that have labs :S

Copy down everything exactly as is from your transcript. If it isn't right, AMCAS will change it to make it right. Indicate if it was Lec + Lab if mixed.

I wasn't sure about the credit stuff either, so I just put 3cr for everything, and just indicated if it was a mix lec+lab.

As for the letters of reference, do they need to be in by June 1st when we can submit applications, or are the letters only really needed for the secondary applications? Just wondering when to have all my letters in by and if I need to rush my writers or not lol.

Traditionally, they need to be in for your application to be considered complete at individual schools. Unless that's changed, then no. Just make sure you get on it as some letter writers may be busy or drag their heels.

Good luck to y'all this app cycle! It'll be a lot of work, but the reward is worth it.

I'm not sure if this is right but when the US schools mention "inorganic chemistry", is that equivalent to general chemistry in Canada? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that this was the case but I am not too sure. I ask because I've noticed on the MSAR listings for course requirements that most schools will put down Inorganic Chemistry and O-chem as requirements but to my knowledge, inorganic chemistry is more advanced than general chemistry..

I'm not sure if this is right but when the US schools mention "inorganic chemistry", is that equivalent to general chemistry in Canada? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that this was the case but I am not too sure. I ask because I've noticed on the MSAR listings for course requirements that most schools will put down Inorganic Chemistry and O-chem as requirements but to my knowledge, inorganic chemistry is more advanced than general chemistry..

I've spent my entire night on school websites and I would say with 99% certainty that inorganic chem = general chem

I heard that some schools can just not contact you at all if they decide to reject you... Is this true? Do schools have to let you know if they're not going to send you a secondary or offer you an interview?

Good luck everyone! It's probably not fun having to work on AMCAS in May, when you've just been done with exams, schools, and what not. But come August -if all works well- you'll prolly start hearing back from some schools (I got my first invite on Aug 2), and then it'll all feel worth it :)

Remember, sooner = better wherever possible. Also, it's worth it to specifically tailor your essays to each school. Look up their motto, core values, selling points etc. and demonstrate how you fit. You can start this now. Good luck to you all. I can tell you from personal experience, having an American acceptance (or multiple) in the bag before Canadian interviews even start is an incredible feeling and you will perform better knowing the pressure is off. This is a hard, long and expensive process, but the feeling when it pays off is worth it.

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of my primaries and I've got a couple of questions,

For courses:

1) I just entered marks in letters, do we need to mail them a transcript? Is there a deadline?

2) Do we also enter IB/High School Marks and stuff?

For the Letters of Reference section:

1) What is the actual deadline for them to receive the letters, can I submit the application on June 1st and have the reference letter received a bit later?

For MCAT:

1) I indicated "no, I will not write MCAT", but chances are, I might (but probably late August/Sept), so will choosing this option hurt my eligibility for rewriting my MCAT later and use them to apply in Canada later on?

Thanks!

For courses:

1) I just entered marks in letters, do we need to mail them a transcript? Is there a deadline?

Yep, if you go to the "Schools Attended" tab and click the link for Transcripts, you can make a form that you give to your university's registrar so they can mail AMCAS a transcript

Don't think so...

1) What is the actual deadline for them to receive the letters, can I submit the application on June 1st and have the reference letter received a bit later?

I don't think there is a deadline, but I could be wrong. From what I understand, you can be marked complete by AMCAS without reference letters, but you won't be marked complete by individual schools (and therefore, they won't look at your file) until they receive the letters.

Yes, I believe so... I read on one school's website that they won't look at your file until they receive three letters, but won't re-open your file if more letters come later. I think a lot of this varies from school to school, so I guess email the admissions offices if it's going to be a big delay or something :)

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of my primaries and I've got a couple of questions,

For courses:

For MCAT:

1) I indicated "no, I will not write MCAT", but chances are, I might (but probably late August/Sept), so will choosing this option hurt my eligibility for rewriting my MCAT later and use them to apply in Canada later on?

Thanks!

It's probably important to note that the process occurs in two stages: first at the AMCAS (the primary application) and second at the individual medical school (the secondary application). For the AMCAS to verify your primary application they require transcripts but not LORs or MCAT scores. Then once verified they will send your application information to the individual schools you've selected and then it's up to that school what they do with your information. In most cases, once you've submitted all your information, including MCAT scores and LORs, as well as their secondary application, they will mark your application complete and will only then evaluate you and decide whether to offer you an interview or not.

It's important to have your primary application completed as early as possible, as most schools have rolling applications (decide on interviews as the applications are reviewed, thus later applications are at a disadvantage). You want to have your secondary submitted well before the school's deadline.

I am confused by the dates.

June 1 is the first day to submit apps, ok.

June 17 is when the Data transferred to medical schools.

So does that mean if we submit on say June 7, as compared to June 1, there really is no difference?

Thanks

I am confused by the dates.

June 1 is the first day to submit apps, ok.

June 17 is when the Data transferred to medical schools.

So does that mean if we submit on say June 7, as compared to June 1, there really is no difference?

Thanks

The difference is that the person submitting on June 1 st will get verified earlier. I think AMCAS will look at applications and transcripts in the order they were received. If you submit on June 1st, you could be verified within a week, so your application would be verified and sent to schools right on June 17th. The later you submit, the longer it will take to get verified because the volume of applications AMCAS has received by then,would increase. I submitted on AMCAS on June 18th, got verified on July 1st, and by July2nd I was getting my secondaries.

Archived