Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2012 Cycle Party Thread

How long do you consider "so much time" if you do not mind me asking? I am worried about my PS and have not touched the work/activities section. It would make me feel better if I spent around the same time as you :) . For the work/activities section, do your best and do not worry about submitting on the first. This week would definitely be considered early.

Man, I feel like I've spent so much time on my PS that my "Work / Activities" section isn't really up to par...

Anyone knows how closely they look at the Work / Activities section?

Gonna be a long night...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long do you consider "so much time" if you do not mind me asking? I am worried about my PS and have not touched the work/activities section. It would make me feel better if I spent around the same time as you :) . For the work/activities section, do your best and do not worry about submitting on the first. This week would definitely be considered early.

I def over-exaggerated "so much time" :P

The first draft took me ~ 3 days, after that, I've only had 4 people look at it, and none of which gave too much input. They've all said "This is really good, I've got nothing", which I believe is just a way of saying "I don't actually want to read it carefully". haha

However, I have looked at a number of PSes before writing mine, and have been thinking about what to write on mine for months now.

Yeah you're right about this week. I'm off to bed - just been cruising YouTube at this point and not really getting anything done..

If anyone wants a second (3rd, 4th,...nth:rolleyes: ) opinion on their PS I'd be happy to read it. Spending time on the PS is def worth it specially when you can recycle and use it for you UofT application. Is it still the same 900 words limit?

I think I've spent like 3 days max on my PS and had one person read it over. And by three days I mean like 1 or 2 hours each day max.

UofT is 1000 words, so definitely recyclable ;)

Has everyone started submitting? I plan on doing it tomorrow or friday

I think I've spent like 3 days max on my PS and had one person read it over. And by three days I mean like 1 or 2 hours each day max.

UofT is 1000 words, so definitely recyclable ;)

Has everyone started submitting? I plan on doing it tomorrow or friday

Yeah, for me, it was around 2-3 hours a day for those three days :)

Depends on how lax work is today... Might end up submitting tonight if I get lucky!

I asked because I creeped your posts and saw we had similar stats :P . I am a US citizen so I have some non-Canadian friendly schools on my app. I will also be applying to NYU, BU, Jefferson + GWU, SLU, EVMS, Vandy, Georgetown, Albany, Wayne, Iowa, Wisconsin (a few others I have forgotten). I thought of Vandy and NYU as my reach schools and never really looked at anything past a median 34-35 MCAT. I was tempted to add a few more schools after getting the thumbs up from my LOR referees but I have not figured them out yet. The total count is currently at 18, I suppose that should be good. I will be trying again in Canada at 4 of the 6 ON schools, but they let me down this year and maybe, if I get accepted at BU or NYU, I will let them down in the upcoming cycle as an act of vengeance :rolleyes: .

Yeah, my list is probably a bit wishful, but I figure that if I'm going to be paying that much in tuition and living costs, I better be going somewhere where I really want to be. Hopefully one of these schools will work out... I know 2 people this past cycle that were accepted at NYU with stats lower than yours and pretty standard ECs, so there's definitely hope :)

I think I'll probably submit on Friday. I'm 80% done both my Work/Activities and my PS so hopefully I can be done by then.

Also, do you guys think it's important for referees to print their letters on official letterhead? I mentioned it to my referees but I have a feeling that some won't bother :confused:

Yeah, my list is probably a bit wishful, but I figure that if I'm going to be paying that much in tuition and living costs, I better be going somewhere where I really want to be. Hopefully one of these schools will work out... I know 2 people this past cycle that were accepted at NYU with stats lower than yours and pretty standard ECs, so there's definitely hope :)

I think I'll probably submit on Friday. I'm 80% done both my Work/Activities and my PS so hopefully I can be done by then.

Also, do you guys think it's important for referees to print their letters on official letterhead? I mentioned it to my referees but I have a feeling that some won't bother :confused:

Important. Stress this point to your referees. Don't know about others this past cycle but I received notification from Cornell (followed by a couple other schools) that a few of my LORs were not usable due to not being on official letterhead. Had to get my referees to send in new copies.

Also, since I'm on the NYU WL I'm curious -> were these two people CAN citizens only, what were their stats like and when did they get accepted? If you know any of this and are willing to share (PM?) I'd appreciate it :).

All the best with your apps guys!

Definitely. On the AMCAS instructions manual it says: "Most medical schools require that letters of evaluation come on official letterhead and are

signed by the author(s). "

I've actually spent way more time on the Work/Activities section than the PS. The open-endedness of the PS is very daunting for me.

Also, I got the notification that my transcript was received today and I ordered it just over 2 weeks ago

Edit: Haha I don't know how I keep doing it, but I've made the first post on the last 4 pages :P

oh dam,

you are ahead of the game. Can you start a verification thread? I would, but I have not submitted yet. It would not be particularly useful but it is a good way of getting to know everyone who is applying and potentially would be active this season.

Just submitted!! Feels great :D

oh dam,

you are ahead of the game. Can you start a verification thread? I would, but I have not submitted yet. It would not be particularly useful but it is a good way of getting to know everyone who is applying and potentially would be active this season.

Submitted Friday June 3 :D

oh dam,

Sure, just made it

Archived