Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2012 Cycle Party Thread

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally one (out of 5) of my LoRs got to AMCAS today!!!!

lol Good Work! I haven't even contacted my references yet :o

So I got a question: For the Work/activities, should I split hospital volunteering into 3 units that I volunteered in or should I have it all under one entry? I only have 8 enteries if I have everything condensed :o

So I got a question: For the Work/activities, should I split hospital volunteering into 3 units that I volunteered in or should I have it all under one entry? I only have 8 enteries if I have everything condensed :o

If you worked at three different hospitals and had different responsibilities for each, you could have 3 entries. As long as the description is not repetitive (eg transported patients in all three) you should be fine. On the other hand if they were three different units within the same hospital, its a tough call. You don't want to appear that you are just filling up space. I would say have them all in one entry and maybe choose this as a meaningful experience so you can reflect/expand on it.

I was in a similar situation in the sense that I worked in 2 diff labs. I used 2 separate entries for them b/c I had very different project/research experience for each.

Hey guys,

i wrote the mcat on july 6...not sure how it went and am awaiting my results before I apply to schools (in case i do bad, dont want to apply now and end up wasting a bunch of money-im thinking the mcat may have been pretty bad)

Anyways, I want to set up an account and get verified as I hear this takes a long time...how much will it cost just to get verified and not apply to schools yet?

I think the only thing you need to have submitted is your transcript which would cost around 10 dollars. I am really unsure about whether you have to pick schools and what not. Most people feel bad coming out of their MCAT. The score will very likely be around the avg. mark among your practice tests. If I were you, I would probably ask for references and propose a deadline for late this month/early next month so there are no additional delays when you get your score back.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

i wrote the mcat on july 6...not sure how it went and am awaiting my results before I apply to schools (in case i do bad, dont want to apply now and end up wasting a bunch of money-im thinking the mcat may have been pretty bad)

Anyways, I want to set up an account and get verified as I hear this takes a long time...how much will it cost just to get verified and not apply to schools yet?

For anyone else anxiously awaiting their letters to get out of the postal strike backlog, 2 of 3 of my letters were received Friday. There is hope!

Now if only the last one would make it so I could done...

By the way, its my first time posting! I am excited to join this group!

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I volunteered at 2 different hospitals and put both under one umbrella of hospital volunteer work, and then used it as a "most meaningful" so I could talk more about them.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I volunteered at 2 different hospitals and put both under one umbrella of hospital volunteer work, and then used it as a "most meaningful" so I could talk more about them.

Yeah I was gonna suggest the same thing - Put it all under one as "most meaningful". Quality > Quantity!

If you worked at three different hospitals and had different responsibilities for each, you could have 3 entries. As long as the description is not repetitive (eg transported patients in all three) you should be fine. On the other hand if they were three different units within the same hospital, its a tough call. You don't want to appear that you are just filling up space. I would say have them all in one entry and maybe choose this as a meaningful experience so you can reflect/expand on it.

I was in a similar situation in the sense that I worked in 2 diff labs. I used 2 separate entries for them b/c I had very different project/research experience for each.

They were in the same hospital but the prob is that I had put in diff number of hours in each of them. I guess I can put the average number of hours. Also, I volunteered in two of the units only for a month so if I put all of them together, it will appear as long term.

AMCAS, attn: Transcripts

AAMC Medical School Application Services

2450 N Street, NW

Washington, DC 20037

It was buried somewhere in this thread. I used it and I know it works. Just make sure that the transcript office does not modify it. Some fool kept changing it and I had to make 3 calls before they got it correct.

ughhhhhhhhhhhh AMCAS lines are always busy!

Does anyone know how long they take to answer an email? I need their alternative address to courier my transcript.

AMCAS, attn: Transcripts

AAMC Medical School Application Services

2450 N Street, NW

Washington, DC 20037

It was buried somewhere in this thread. I used it and I know it works. Just make sure that the transcript office does not modify it. Some fool kept changing it and I had to make 3 calls before they got it correct.

yep thats the address they sent me by email!

Hey guys! I almost freaked out!! Today I was looking through the hard copy of my primary..apparently pasting the text into the experience description box caused some words to be messed up(so aka typos,and I found 6 or 7 of them)..I know I should ve checked..but I was too eager to hand it in after workin really hard onthe essay..so should withdraw the application and resubmit?

Are you already verified or in the line to be verified? If you handed in your app in the last week or so, maybe withdraw and resubmit. But if you are already verified or close to being so, I would say just let it be. I think the missed opportunity of early/timely submission because of being a month late outweighs any marginal benefit you may get from correcting the typos.

I don't know what happens to the payment, refunds etc. That's another thing to consider I guess. Also post this on SDN, as there are many knowledgeable people there who can help you with this.

Has anyone gotten an interview at GWU? They already started handing them out. It will be pretty exciting to receive the first interview invite. After only receiving two interviews in Ontario last year, already having one in the bag now almost put some dust in my eyes. It is really special.

Woo congrats!! I didn't get one (didn't apply there) but really happy for you!!

Has anyone gotten an interview at GWU? They already started handing them out. It will be pretty exciting to receive the first interview invite. After only receiving two interviews in Ontario last year, already having one in the bag now almost put some dust in my eyes. It is really special.

That's so exciting! Congrats! My last LOR was just submitted, so hopefully I will join you too!

... and I was excited just about getting an LOR request from Mayo. Happy to hear things are going well for the Canadian crew.

Archived