Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2012 Cycle Party Thread

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

What do you guys mean by tailoring your essay to individual schools. Don't we only have to submit one primary essay which is forwarded to all schools? Or were you talking about the secondary essays?

I also have a very noobish question? If I finish my primary application and hit submit by end of June, am I bordering being late?

Thanks

Hey everyone,

What do you guys mean by tailoring your essay to individual schools. Don't we only have to submit one primary essay which is forwarded to all schools? Or were you talking about the secondary essays?

I also have a very noobish question? If I finish my primary application and hit submit by end of June, am I bordering being late?

Thanks

Secondaries should be tailored for specific schools. The earlier the better, but I think late June would still be fine.

How many LoR's are people having? I thought 3 was good enough?

Depends, some schools have more specific requirements,don't assume they are all the same. I had two science, one non-science from undergrad, and for most schools I was able to add a supplemental letter from a volunteer supervisor. I also had letters from two of my grad supervisors and even the department chair (I think BU and MCW asked for that particular one.)

Depends, some schools have more specific requirements,don't assume they are all the same. I had two science, one non-science from undergrad, and for most schools I was able to add a supplemental letter from a volunteer supervisor. I also had letters from two of my grad supervisors and even the department chair (I think BU and MCW asked for that particular one.)

Thanks for the heads up, I have a lot of research to do this weekend reading up on each school's specific criteria....

Does anyone from U of T know how to request for transcripts? Do we just send in the AMCAS transcript request form or do we also need to send in a supplemental U of T form?

Thanks!

You print the transcript request form from AMCAS, and take it to the transcript center at Sideny Smith. Then you'll pay for the transcript print fee and ask them to attach the form to your transcript and send it to AMCAS for you. Simple as that :)

For AECOM, their admissions website says this:

"Please note that the College does not accept online courses that are not offered by (as opposed to, approved by) your undergraduate or graduate institution."

Does that mean if i did my undergrad at UWO but took English through Athabasca, it doesn't count?

What deadlines are you guys giving your referees, given that we're respecting our own, soft, deadlines rather than the hard deadlines set by the schools? I said the third week of June (i.e. week of June 20), is that too late?

I doubt the transcript says which courses have a lab component. I believe you put in extra hours (4 instead of 3 for half courses and 8 instead of 6 for full courses) and do the same in the secondaries if they ask. I am not sure how all of this is confirmed.

[/b]

Just wondering what's everyone doing about the lab courses. Does your transcript specifically mention which courses have a lab component and which don't ?

Is anyone having trouble inputting phone numbers for their LOR contacts? Mine has an extension after their phone number but it won't let me put it in...what format did you guys use?

I think you just have to leave out the extensions. I had to do this for OMSAS as well last year and it wasn't a problem

Haha it's looking more and more like I won't actually make the June 1st deadline. Hopefully June 3rd or 4th won't be a big deal :P

Hi,

does anyone from U of T know how to report credit hours. Amcas says "Indicate your credit hours or units EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript" on https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2012/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Credit_Hours.htm So, half year courses are given 3 hours and full year course 6 hours irrespective of lab components based on what is written in the transcript. That would cut me off at most schools because I will not meet the required 8 hours in Orgo, Biochem etc.

Does Amcas automatically correct hours?

Archived