Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2012 Cycle Party Thread

yup, that is it. This is what I had in my e-mail:

"What must be included:

1) An official U of T letterhead

2) Signature

3) A mention somewhere in the letter that you have taught me a Biology course

4) The letter must be scanned as a pdf (please let me know if you need help with this)

Here is a step-by-step summary of what needs to be done to submit the letter:

1) Go to https://services.aamc.org/letterwriter/

2) Press Register on the bottom left

3) Fill in the required information (very quick)

4) Once you have made an account, you will be prompted to fill in an AAMC ID and a Letter ID. The IDs are

AAMC ID : XXXXXX

Letter ID: XXXXXX

5) My information will pop-up and you will be allowed to browse for the pdf document containing the reference letter.

6) After the document is attached, you will be allowed to review it. Press upload when you are done and submission is complete."

Hi, I am new.

This might be a silly question but how are the referees supposed to upload the references letter? Since it has to signed, I am guessing they should print it off, sign it, scan it, save it as a pdf, and then upload it letter writer service. Is this how its done?

Thanks

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yup, that is it. This is what I had in my e-mail:

"What must be included:

1) An official U of T letterhead

2) Signature

3) A mention somewhere in the letter that you have taught me a Biology course

4) The letter must be scanned as a pdf (please let me know if you need help with this)

Here is a step-by-step summary of what needs to be done to submit the letter:

1) Go to https://services.aamc.org/letterwriter/

2) Press Register on the bottom left

3) Fill in the required information (very quick)

4) Once you have made an account, you will be prompted to fill in an AAMC ID and a Letter ID. The IDs are

AAMC ID : XXXXXX

Letter ID: XXXXXX

5) My information will pop-up and you will be allowed to browse for the pdf document containing the reference letter.

6) After the document is attached, you will be allowed to review it. Press upload when you are done and submission is complete."

Good summary, this should be in one of the stickied threads up top. Is anyone else but me having trouble actually viewing the Letter Request Form that is generated by each letter? I know I technically don't need it as they are doing this online but I want to at least see how they look like....stupid Firefox. Will try in IE now.

I had a hard time opening the letter request form too. What I did was to quickly copy the link when it appeared on firefox or IE and then pasted into google chrome.

It works in my old school IE I had that I never updated :P annoying to have to switch browsers but whatever. AMCAS also doesn't work in Firefox 4 so I had to downgrade for it to work for me.

Just got verified by AMCAS.

However, they didn't seem to change any of my courses to reflect the lab component. I thought that courses with lab got changed to 4 or 8 credit hours, but all my courses are either 3 or 6.

I'm from U of T btw, what did other people's verified academic records look like?

Do I need to call to ask, or is this sufficient since I added with lab to the end of courses that included lab.

Just got verified by AMCAS.

However, they didn't seem to change any of my courses to reflect the lab component. I thought that courses with lab got changed to 4 or 8 credit hours, but all my courses are either 3 or 6.

I'm from U of T btw, what did other people's verified academic records look like?

Do I need to call to ask, or is this sufficient since I added with lab to the end of courses that included lab.

Sufficient. You'll be fine.

Submitted finally!

Here is my top 5 schools... but I applied to 17 just in case. If I score 2-3 interviews out of the top 5, I will be happy.

1) Boston University

2) New York University

3) University of Illinois at Chicago

4) Albany

5) MC Wisconsin

anyone else want to share top 5s?

Submitted finally!

Here is my top 5 schools... but I applied to 17 just in case. If I score 2-3 interviews out of the top 5, I will be happy.

1) Boston University

2) New York University

3) University of Illinois at Chicago

4) Albany

5) MC Wisconsin

anyone else want to share top 5s?

Are you a US resident?

This may be a dumb question, but at what point should I submit?

I just sent my transcripts so hopefully I am verified by July. I will have my fully edited PS uploaded and schools selected by then. However I will be missing an important LOR that I will get near the end of July.

What is the implication of submitting before all my letters are in. Will schools be using them to judge whether I get secondary or should I just submit ASAP?

If you have everything else set, submit ASAP. You will not be verified until your transcripts are received though. LORs do not need to be completed until you are ready to submit secondaries.

This may be a dumb question, but at what point should I submit?

I just sent my transcripts so hopefully I am verified by July. I will have my fully edited PS uploaded and schools selected by then. However I will be missing an important LOR that I will get near the end of July.

What is the implication of submitting before all my letters are in. Will schools be using them to judge whether I get secondary or should I just submit ASAP?

This is my first time going through the AMCAS system, so I had a question. Currently, I'm scheduled to rewrite my MCAT of July 16th. This means I won't get my score until mid-august. I know if I submit my primary without my latest MCAT score, it will be considered "a pending application".

I think that I have to wait until the MCAT score is updated before the verification process can begin. If everything I've said so far is true, then I had a question: do I receive secondaries right after I submit the primary or do I have to wait until after the primary is verified before receiving the secondaries?

Thanks!

This is my first time going through the AMCAS system, so I had a question. Currently, I'm scheduled to rewrite my MCAT of July 16th. This means I won't get my score until mid-august. I know if I submit my primary without my latest MCAT score, it will be considered "a pending application".

I think that I have to wait until the MCAT score is updated before the verification process can begin. If everything I've said so far is true, then I had a question: do I receive secondaries right after I submit the primary or do I have to wait until after the primary is verified before receiving the secondaries?

Thanks!

You have to wait until your primary is verified before receiving secondaries. Verification is the process of AMCAS converting your courses and credits and grades to their own scale. It doesn't really relate to when you submit you MCAT.

You have to wait until your primary is verified before receiving secondaries. Verification is the process of AMCAS converting your courses and credits and grades to their own scale. It doesn't really relate to when you submit you MCAT.

Alright, clearly I need to read up a little more on the process. So my understanding, then, is that verification only begins after submitting the primary; and the primary may be submitted only after completing personal info, course work, ECs, and the PS.

I also understand that you can submit without AMCAS receiving all LORs. HOWEVER, if I submit with MCAT pending, will the verification process be able to begin without my newest MCAT or does AMCAS need to receive the newest MCAT before the verification process can begin?:confused:

Edit: NVM, I found out that you can be verified without the MCAT, so that brings me to my next question: once your primary is verified and you designate all schools to receive the primary, what determines if you will receive a secondary? Generally, do US med schools have certain GPA cutoffs or are secondaries automatically sent once the verified primary is submitted?

Quick question everyone:

Does every American school require you to apply in your 4th undergrad year? None of them take students who just finished third year like Canadian schools do?

Thanks

To my understanding, some of them do, but it is "highly suggested that you finish your bachelor".

For example, on UCSF's website, it says:

"We strongly recommend that premedical students pursue a four-year undergraduate curriculum and obtain a baccalaureate degree before entering medical school.

However, we only require completion of three years (135 quarter units or 90 semester units) of acceptable transfer college credit from an accredited institution, including the required college-level courses listed below. "

http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/apply/getting-started.aspx

Every school is different, so read up on their requirements!

Quick question everyone:

Does every American school require you to apply in your 4th undergrad year? None of them take students who just finished third year like Canadian schools do?

Thanks

There are rarely any students who get in after 3rd year in the US (I have not seen any). It will be next to impossible if you're Canadian.

Thanks guys :)

I just had 1 more question..

Can I apply and be accepted to American schools without having all the prereqs? (ie; full yr Orgo and English)? and then complete those prereqs during the summer school before I start medical school?

Is that possible? Will I even get an interview/acceptance w/o prereqs?

Thanks guys :)

I just had 1 more question..

Can I apply and be accepted to American schools without having all the prereqs? (ie; full yr Orgo and English)? and then complete those prereqs during the summer school before I start medical school?

Is that possible? Will I even get an interview/acceptance w/o prereqs?

I would limit it to say only 1 prereq course that you haven't completed. Full year Orgo AND English is definitely pushing it (that's like what - 9 credit hours???). But the answer is yes, you can do it the summer before matriculation.

UGH Western, it took THREE weeks for my transcript (ordered May 25th) to get to AMCAS and for me to get my confirmation email....

I'm applying from Western too this year, maybe we even know each other! I sent my transcripts back in mid-late may and they were very good about it, only took like a week.

I'm applying from Western too this year, maybe we even know each other! I sent my transcripts back in mid-late may and they were very good about it, only took like a week.

Are you a grad student? And did you get them to courier it? They wouldn't for me as the address was a P.O. Box....another smart PM101'er found the actual address by calling in but by then it was too late and mine was sent via snail mail.

Archived